Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Follow Up on Traditional Thanksgiving dishes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Follow Up on Traditional Thanksgiving dishes...

We all had our family traditional Thanksgiving when growing up. What new dishes or changes have you made on your traditional meal.
    Nommie

Thought for the day: Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away!

Re: Follow Up on Traditional Thanksgiving dishes...

Not much change here. I do serve sweet potatoes w/o the marshmallows we grew up with... that's about it.

My Irish grandmother always made currant squares... I've never done those... replaced those w/ a pecan pie.

I've tried cornbread dressing several times and have just given up on it. I really need to have it made by someone who's been making it forever and learn from them!

Thanksgiving dinner just doesn't have the attraction for me it used to have, cause I have to make stuffing from the gluten free bread I can eat... no more Pepperidge Farm for me... and whatever I use... it's just not the same or as good.
    "What fresh hell is this?" Dorothy Parker

Comment

My cornbread dressing is "Slap your Momma" good. One secret I use is hush puppies. Fish Place (local) has big hush puppies a little larger than a golf ball-they ar great in the dressing.
      Nommie

Thought for the day: Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away!

Comment

Originally posted by nommie View Post
        My cornbread dressing is "Slap your Momma" good. One secret I use is hush puppies. Fish Place (local) has big hush puppies a little larger than a golf ball-they ar great in the dressing.
        That sounds excellent! I've never been able to nail dressing, either, Luvs.

Comment

Oyster Dressing has become a tradition the past 10 or 12 years or so. I can't get fresh oysters up here, so I use 2 cans and about 1/2 a can of smoked oysters.

COTTON’S N'AWLINS OYSTER DRESSING - (Stuffing)

I don't have a 'recipe' for this, but this is what I do:

1 stick butter or margarine - (1/2 cup)
          2 ribs celery, chopped
          1 large onion, chopped
          3-4 green onions, chopped
          1/2 bell pepper, chopped
          garlic powder, salt, pepper, dash of cayenne

Saute the above in the butter till tender. Add 2 pints oysters (save the oyster
          liqueur). Saute until edges of oysters curl.

Meanwhile, in a large bowl, pinch into bite-sized pieces 2 baguettes of crisply
          toasted French bread (approx. 12 cups?). Add the oyster liqueur, 4 beaten eggs,
          and a pinch of salt. Add the sauteed mixture, with oysters, at this time. If mixture
          is too firm, add a little milk until you get the desired consistency. Put into lightly
          sprayed/greased 9x12x2 (?) baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350 for approx. 35 to
          45 minutes. You don't want it to dry out, so check at 35 min.

Comment

the cornbread dressing we make was my great gramma's recipe.

I made it for the church luncheon for the senior citizens last year. it was funny to hear them talk. " mine never tasted like this one" "mine either rose, this is really good"
            it's not mushy, and it has no sage or weird herbs in it.

no more marshmellows in the sweet potato casserole, other wise not too many changes, oh we dont' make pumpkin pie anymore we only make the pumpkin upside down cake.
            I just hold on tighter, to a hand that's stronger...he knows my every thought, he clears my weary heart, and hold's on tighter...

Comment

Last year I slipped in some Asparagus. Now several folks in my family love it.
              I will be adding that again - and something else new-------just don't know what yet.

I'll still do all the traditional stuff the kids want.

The Vermont Maple Pecan Cake will be new - but I want to add a new side dish too.

Any suggestions?

Comment

With some non meat eaters in the family -- it wouldn't be Thanksgiving without vegetarian stuffed peppers, fried cabbage and creamed peas -- YUM

Comment

always wondered how different a vegan meal would be at thanksgiving.

reminds me of marie on everybody loves raymond with her tofu turkey.
                  I just hold on tighter, to a hand that's stronger...he knows my every thought, he clears my weary heart, and hold's on tighter...

Comment

Our tradition in my family is what we like to call the "green stuff"
                    Instant pistachio pudding mixed with cool whip and a can of drained crushed pineapples.
                    Sooooo good.

Comment

No meat, now that's just wrong!!! lol Sorry, to each their own! I won't force meat down their throats, I'll eat all of theirs so they won't have to! lol

New side that we didn't have as a kid is squash casserole.
                      "Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent." ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Our family loves the same dishes we prepare every year.

Turkey prepared with Italian Dressing
                        Dumplings
                        Oyster Dressing
                        Green Bean Casserole
                        Boiled Potatoes
                        Sweet Potatoes
                        Corn
                        Rolls

Comment

Just curious: Did you grow up in another part of the country, because oyster dressing doesn't sound Southern? As for us, I grew up having asparagus as a traditional Thanksgiving side, & we never have it, partly because nbody likes it except me, & partly because it's so expensive. We never had the green bean cassarole, but always do now.

Comment

Originally posted by Engel View Post
                            Just curious: Did you grow up in another part of the country, because oyster dressing doesn't sound Southern? As for us, I grew up having asparagus as a traditional Thanksgiving side, & we never have it, partly because nbody likes it except me, & partly because it's so expensive. We never had the green bean cassarole, but always do now.

my mother grew up with oyster dressing. in south louisiana.

why wouldn't it be a southern dish?
                            gramma always made two cornbread dressings, one with oysters and one with out.
                            grew up on it. i don't care for it, but many in my extended family do. they still have it every year.

there have been many thanksgivings there was a stuffed pork stomach for dinner as well.
                            asparagus is always a side dish as well, don't know where you are, but i don't find it to be too expensive. $4 or so if i remember right. somewhere around in there..

Comment

I didn't mean to imply it COULDN'T be a Southern dish--just that I never knew anyone who made it. I suspect there are lots of dishes in LA that we don't have here. As for asparagus, $4 IS expensive for me, especially just for myself. (I once worked with a girl who said she'd NEVER consider eating cornbread stuffing & that was the first time I'd ever heard that. Had never known anyone who didn't eat it--she was from Ohio & said nobody made that up there.) Happy Thanksgiving to everyone--no matter what you eat. Only objection I have is that it reminds me Christmas is near & I haven't even started getting ready for it.

Comment

Working...
                              X