anyone familiar with angioplasty?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone familiar with angioplasty?

I have an aging father nearing 80. I'm wondering if anyone knows someone that has had this done...successfully or not.
    Looking for suggestions/advice.

Re: anyone familiar with angioplasty?

Hubby had it done back in the 80's. No problems since. At that time, he had to lay on his back, very still, for many hours following the surgery, but don't think they have to do that any more. It was a lifesaver for him.

Comment

what were some of his symptoms before and what age was he when he had it done?

Comment

I am interested in this also.
        Have a friend with relative about to go through this, and I know nothing about it to comfort her about it.

Where's Nu ????????? She knows everything!! She can enlighten us I'm sure!

Bless your pour father having to have any type of surgical procedure at the age of 80.
        Poor fellow.
        Is he worried about it?

Comment

I think it is where they insert a balloon type thingy and "blow out" the arteries so to speak, to remove blockages.
          But i'm not sure.

Comment

THAT'S RIGHT, I DO KNOW EVERYTHING, LOL

I WORKED CARDIAC, CRITICAL CARE, WHEN I WORKED AT THE HOSPITAL. TOOK CARE OF ALOT OF PATIENTS PRE AND POST ANGIOPLASTY. 99.999999% OF THEM SUCCESSFUL, NO COMPLICATIONS.

MY FATHER HAD OPEN HEART, 5 VESSELL BYPASS. MUCH RATHER HAVE ANGIOPLASTY. IT'LL BE OK, PUT YOUR TRUST IN THE DOC AND IN THE LORD!!

Comment

My DH had one in April. He had to lie flat on his back for 8 hours afterwards. He said that was the worst part. There were two blockages...one required a stent.

Comment

Along these lines.........exactly HOW do they detect blockages ?????
                To know that you need this procedure..............

Nu - was that actually right about the procedure?

Comment

Angioplasty Queen here!! I've had about 8 of them in the past 5-6 years. They go in the femoral artery in the groin and send the wire/camera (?) up to the heart and look around. I've had to have 5 stents one at a time. You can watch them do it on the screen beside the surgical table if you want to (not my form of entertainment, but my mom always watched all of hers - she was braver than I am).

The last stent was in July...had the new kind of plug at the incision where you don't have to lie still and have a sandbag pressed on you for 8 hours.....no pressure, just lie still for about 4 hours - much less traumatic for you. The new stents are also medicated and should last much better than the older ones (from 5 years ago or so). It's also necessary to take blood thinner afterward.

I had another angioplasty just about 4 weeks ago.....surgeon decided not to stent that blockage, it wasn't a bad as some others I've had. Howver, while he was in there prowling around, he accidently nicked my artery - didn't know it at the time, of course - came home same day and it was 2 days later I started passing out, losing blood pressure - if I hadn't lived just 10 min. from the ER I would probably not have made it - the ambulance guys couldn't get an IV in me.....they stabilized me after 6 hrs and then had to take me back to Dallas hospital (where I'd had the angio) 2 hrs away. I was in ICU a few days, Intermed. ICU a few more, lots of IV's, transfusions, platelets, etc etc. Came home a few days, kept running temp and had to go back a few more days. Anyhow, it was a 3 weeks ordeal, very scary but I'm home now...... I've still got an abdomen full of blood that will have to absorb into my body gradually and I'm still running fever, but I think I'm gonna make it.

I doubt that I'll ever let them go back in there - I'll just cross my legs real tight and tell them to go away!!! I'll just take lots of statins and live on salad and water for the rest of my life to try to keep the blockages down. I had been eating extremely healthy for the past 2 1/2 years already, but that doesn't undo 60 years of bad habits and a double whammy of bad genetics, I guess.

Didn't mean to write a book or to scare anybody - most angio's are pretty routine - guess my luck just ran out after going in there so many times - and they can definitelys save your life.

Best wishes to you!

Comment

My DH had an angiogram before the angioplasty. They make a little incision in your groin area and go in w/a scope type thing. The doctor put in a DVD and showed me the results on a computer monitor when he came out.

Comment

My math is almost as good as my memory. He had it done in '87, I think, & he's 74 now. Symptoms, I just don't remember. I would say, in view of the studies done since then, that it's much safer now.

Comment

Gayle - that is amazing what you went through.
                        You poor thing.
                        Bless your heart.

Scary as [email protected]#$ about that doctor "nicking" your artery. Good gosh!

Glad you are doing better and feeling stronger.

The luck you had would be just my luck!

Debster - Is the angiogram what they do to determine if the angioplasty is needed?

Comment

another stupid question - why do they go up through your groin area - if their intention all along is to end up at the OTHER end of your body??????

Comment

SO had a stress test for his heart and they detected some abnormalities, so he had the procedure , I think it's called angiogram, they make a slit in the groin and go in with a scope. He had to lay flat for 8 hours afterwards, with a pack on the incision site. Laying still for that period of time was much worse then the actual procedure. It all turned out well, and he is fine.

Comment

since you're the queen of angio, how did you know that you repeatedly need to have it? Were certain symtoms re-curring? What were some of the symptoms?

Comment

Working...
                              X