Question for our Nurses....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for our Nurses....

I was reading the Menopause thread earlier. I have been having hot flashes, (burning up all the freakin' time) for a couple of years now. The lady at the Health Store I go to suggested it could be pre-menopause, that she said could last anywhere from 5-10 years before Menopause. She suggested Evening Primrose Oil. Tried it, didn't notice much of a difference. Then, I was talking with my Sister's MIL a week or so ago, and she said that High Cholesterol has caused her to have hot flashes, or be hot all the time. I do have high Cholesterol.

Could THAT be it? I just turned 40, so I don't think it's quite time for menopause yet.. Why am I so freakin' hot all the time??
    Lauren ~The ultimate tragedy is not the oppression and cruelty by the bad people but the silence over that by the good people. ~
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Re: Question for our Nurses....

I know I waid I know it all, but I'm sorry to disappoint you but .... I lied!!

I've never heard of high cholesterol causing hot flashes, but I haven't heard of everything before!
    "Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent." ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

I've never heard of a relation between high cholesterol and hot flashes either. I do know plenty of women who have hot flashes whose cholesterol levels are fine, so I would say that was just a myth. Not sure why you stay hot all the time. My hot flashes arent like that - they arent a constant hot. They come on suddenly, starting usually around my chest area and they move upward till my whole top half feels like its engulfed. Then they ease off and go away, the time for the varies.

Comment

I have high cholesterol and most of my hot flashes are in the middle night.. Every night, 365...

Comment

Hmmm.. Maybe "hot flashes" is not an accurate description. Low tolerance to heat? I seem to require either air blowing on me at all times, or a temp of about 72 in order to be comfy...I mean, I can get ready for work in the morning, then go into the kitchen to fix my lunch, and next thing you know, I am HOT!! Now, I keep a fan, ceiling fan and window unit in our bedroom. We don't get much air on this side of the house because the A/C unit is on the other side of the house. Maybe I have acclimated myself to cooler temps... I just HATE being hot though....
          Lauren ~The ultimate tragedy is not the oppression and cruelty by the bad people but the silence over that by the good people. ~
          Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I am not a nurse.
            But......
            I remember having what I thought were hot flashes when I was 36.
            Believe me...I am 54 now and there is quite a difference! I feel like they are starting to become less bothersome than they were. Thank goodness!
            Have you made time to listen to the birds today........

Comment

Not a nurse, but have had lots of hot flashes. They come and go , you don't have them all the time. You be fine one minute and all of the sudden you feel hot all over, and then it passes. You may have another problem ??

Comment

Lauren I'm That Way, I Have My "fat Lady Fan" On My Desk Blowing At Me All The Time. When I'm Comfortable, Everyone Else Is Freezing. Have They Checked Your Thyroid? You May Just Be Hot Natured, You Can't Beat Us "hot Mommas" Lol

Comment

I have never heard of high cholesterol hot flashes but that doesn't mean they don't exist (if it were common/true then men would have hot flashes too and I have never seen a man experience such a joy.) There are plenty of reasons why people have the sudden vaso dilation am not sure what your reason could be. 40 is pretty young for peri- menopausal symptoms. I will ask a bunch of docs tonight and get back to you

Comment

I have never heard of high cholesterol causing hot flashes, but I have heard that people treating their high cholesterol with niacin will have hot flashes. It causes hot flashes in both men and women. Now the guys know how we feel.
                    Be kinder than necessary. Everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Comment

I know that when something is really bothering me, I can feel my blood pressure rising and I can feel a rush of heat rising all over.

Comment

Well, I just know "something" is happening with me but when I talked to my new GYN last spring, (who's highly recommended in this area) he was rather non-chalant about it all and said, "yes, you are most likely in the perimenopausal stage, it's just something you have to let nature take it's course"!!! NOT the answer I wanted to hear, but he said he's going through the same questions at home with his wife..........whom I've known for years from our kids going to school together K-12. She's about 53-55 and I'm 51. So I thought, GREAT, it's even a guessing game for his wife!!!!

I don't really take anything because I have a heart rhythm problem and so many times those herbal remedies give me trouble, I have to be careful. My biggest fear has always been ovarian cancer which I know I've expressed that concern on CK before. Sometimes my insides feel as bad as I did when I was a young girl just starting out with periods. I swear for the entire 2 weeks leading up to my period I feel tired and my abdomen feels awful and I also feel like I am 10lbs heavier during that time too. If I only got hot flashes, I think I'd be happy, but I get those about 2 a.m. to 3 a.m. most nights PLUS what I just mentioned.

I apologize to the men who check in on CK for being a bit graphic........BUT it IS a fact of life for we women. Sometimes I think it's important for men to know exactly what women feel like during this time of life so they understand us more. DEFINITELY, my DH is included in that one!!!!! He swears I MUST be going through something because he thinks I do "airhead" stuff where he says I'm just not thinking clearly or paying attention..........hate to say it, but that's where I think MEN go through some type of menopause too because he's no better..........but he'd never admit to his "DUH" moments, LOL!!!!
                        The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.

Faith is believing in advance what already makes sense in retrospect. O:-)

'Do not ask the Lord to Guide your Footsteps if you are not willing to move your Feet'

Comment

Originally posted by nuisance View Post
                          Lauren I'm That Way, I Have My "fat Lady Fan" On My Desk Blowing At Me All The Time. When I'm Comfortable, Everyone Else Is Freezing. Have They Checked Your Thyroid? You May Just Be Hot Natured, You Can't Beat Us "hot Mommas" Lol

I am with NU here. A year ago I was so hot all the time, losing weight, had a cough, but any way I went to the dr. because of my loss of strength and all the above I have mentioned. The big tip off was a very enlarged thyroid with a goiter. I was diagnosed with Graves Disease...I am 34. So I definately at least take a feel at the base of your neck and have your thyroid checked. Especially if you have any of the other symptoms.

Comment

Originally posted by detritus View Post
                            I have never heard of high cholesterol causing hot flashes, but I have heard that people treating their high cholesterol with niacin will have hot flashes. It causes hot flashes in both men and women. Now the guys know how we feel.
                            Niacin causes a flush, and the higher doses needed for cholesterol makes a "bigger""stronger" flush. Take the niacin with an aspirin at bedtime and it will decrease the flush reaction, and you sleep thru it when/if it happens

Comment

Working...
                            X