need gift suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need gift suggestions

there is a guy at work, John. he is single about 67 years old. he recently built a house in a quiet little neighborhood.

this morning he asked me for help.
    he said that every so often about 2 or 3 times a week he is working late on the house weather it be the lawn, or the truck or fiddling with some painting on the house he'll work too late and realize he's hungry, he didn't cook anything, and there aren't any fast food places near him, and it seems every time one of the neighbors will come by with dinner for him. every time....

he said there are two sweet ladies that bring something over for him.
    yesterday it was seafood gumbo.
    he said what can i do to show my appreciation to them for feeding an old man like myself?
    he said one is married, and one is not but she's younger than he is. he doesn't want it to look like it's a love offering hahahaha just a thank you, and " i don't want no problem with that one ladies husband" lol

john is so sweet.
    i did make a suggestion, but was wondering if anyone here had an idea for him?
    I just hold on tighter, to a hand that's stronger...he knows my every thought, he clears my weary heart, and hold's on tighter...

Re: need gift suggestions

A gift card for something...video store, dinner out?

Comment

I'm thinking something very basic and not overdone.

Such as - when he goes to the grocery store - which he HAS to sometimes - pick up some extra bananas or tomatoes or peaches, etc. - as a nice gesture that they looked particularly lovely and thought they might like some so he picked up some extra........that is simple, kind and nothing romantic - or too big - just a plain simple thank you for thinking of me and I thought of you too.

They aren't doing the cooking for him for an alterior motive I am presuming, so he shouldn't do anything particularly fancy or big ----- just as they did for him - a simple, thoughtful gesture.

I do this for my old-woman neighbor coz she doesn't get out much. So I pick up extra veggies or fruits, cook a little extra at dinner and take her a plate or tupperware container with something good in it. She is thrilled that I thought of her. You should've seen how tickled she was over some squash and zuchinni that had just been picked out of the garden! (not my garden, came from my friend who knew I'd like to also share with this old lady).

Anyway - sometimes the very simplest of things say the most.

JMO.

Comment

my suggestion may take a little more digging on John's part, but could these ladies use an hour of handyman services. The fulfill his need for home cooked food, but do these ladies need small jobs done around their home. I would make the offer in an hour of handyman services for your kindness.

The married lady may have a hubby who isn't too handy and a single lady may need a little handyman service too. This could be done in a non threatening or sexual way.

I make raisin filled cookies for the married man across the street and he guides me on my projects.

dragun

Comment

great ideas!!!

i suggested a plant.

hahahaha that sounds so lame next to email queen.
          not sure how much extra time john has he built his house on his own, still finishing walls in spare bedrooms and painting here and there. but that is a great suggestion.

i cannot look at john most days. and he knows it.
          he is very tall, very thin. has deep big brown eyes. very tan from the sun, smokes, he face is like leather, with deep creases in his his cheeks. and a smile that is contagious. yellowed teeth lol.

he has a walk that is long and lanky.

he looks so very much like my grandpa. you'd think they were twins.
          i cry alot when i see him. he knows this. and will come give me a hug. my eyes swell up thinking of it.
          I just hold on tighter, to a hand that's stronger...he knows my every thought, he clears my weary heart, and hold's on tighter...

Comment

I would suggest maybe a candle, maybe even a warmer for it,or depending on how good of shape he is in-maybe rake leaves for them or shovel the snow this winter.

Comment

Awwwwwwwww............(((((Stella)))))

Comment

Originally posted by wellsms View Post
                I would suggest maybe a candle, maybe even a warmer for it,or depending on how good of shape he is in-maybe rake leaves for them or shovel the snow this winter.
                Stella, Is there snow in Texas.
                "Outside of a dog, a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

Comment

Sorry I did not know we are talking about Texas

Comment

Originally posted by laura lynn View Post
                    Stella, Is there snow in Texas.
                    Every 25 years or so. Last major snowfall I remember here in SA was in 1980 or so, it's been a while and that's just fine.

Comment

This post made me think about my mom, who died about 8 years ago. She considered it her "mission" to take care of her town's bachelors and widowed guys. (And it was my dads mission to do handy-work for the widowed ladies and single mothers) My mom was always cooking and baking stuff to take to them, just because. And she was one terrific cook! She did it from the goodness in her heart and because it brought her joy to do it. I dont think any gift ever pleased her more than just a warm smile and a heart-felt "thank you", and maybe some great compliments on her cooking. There really are some wonderful people in the world that seem to be doing nice things for others, but they are really doing it for the good feelings they get themselves. My parents were so wonderful like that.
                      Last edited by cottun; 10-24-2008, 09:10 PM.

Comment

What a heartwarming thread! *wiping tears from my eyes* Wonderful suggestions, everyone! Makes me ashamed of myself - I've been wrapped up in my own little world here, and this makes me want to do more for those in need... Thanks, y'all!
                        I have kleptomania, but when it gets bad, I take something for it.

Comment

I would NOT suggest giving them a food item. To me this is just saying "How about fixing me something with these?"

My suggestions are:
                          A nice coffee mug or tea cup
                          A set of fancy recipe cards
                          If they have out of town family, Stamped note cards
                          Perhaps a nice serving dish or candle holders
                          Even a nice box of fancy baked goods from the store on a pretty party plate

Comment

Many years ago, we lived beside a widower who was about 20 years older than us. I often passed over a homemade loaf of bread, cookies, etc. He was a wonderful friend who was an extra pair of eyes on my kids when they were out and about.

Having said that, I realized fairly early on, that he 'liked' me more than I felt was appropriate (and that may have been my fault because, not only were we in a new community but also in a new country, and his seemed to be the only friendly face around). I still appreciated his help, his vigilance for my kids' safety, and his (across the fence) company. Altho I knew the feelings were there, he never asked anything of me and would have done anything for me.

I think a potted plant, a GC for a restaurant (for the married woman), any unanticipated yard work, would be a wonderful thank-you from this nice gentleman. Perhaps he could get together with the other husband and do a few larger projects.
                            Communicate. It can't make things any worse!

Comment

I vote for the plant also. Maybe he could pick up a nice fall arrangement/potted mum/plant and write a nice thank you note and take it to them around Thanksgiving time. I think plants are always appreciated. I agree that giving them food looks like he wants them to make it for him. I think a gift certificate, although appreciated I'm sure, may be a little over and above. I bet they are all taking care of him because it makes them feel good and a certificate might make them feel obligated.

Comment

Working...
                              X