Security sign for yard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Security sign for yard?

I know this may sound silly to some...but there have been quite a few break ins in our neighborhood in the last few days (in broad daylight!)

We can't afford to buy a security system but I was wondering if anyone knew how I could get a sign for our yard and maybe even the stickers for our windows just to make it seem like we have one (I'm hoping this may have them think twice before breaking into our house!) Anyone know if there is anyway I could get these without buying the security system?

Thanks!

Re: Security sign for yard?

When we brought this house the owner had one of those signs but disconnected his service, we had that on the front lawn for a long time then finally got a security system. DH threw it out and I thought what a waste,someone could just use it too to scare away any robbers. My SIL got Beware of Dog sign, never had a dog but she felt better putting it in the window. Sorry I can't help you with that.

Comment

Originally posted by roset View Post
      My SIL got Beware of Dog sign, never had a dog but she felt better putting it in the window.
      That's what I was going to say....
      I have kleptomania, but when it gets bad, I take something for it.

Comment

My sil has the signs and cameras and they still broke into her garage. Ransacked her car and left. Neighbors that are home are the best watch dogs. We have Neighborhood Watch groups that neighbors get together and watch out for each other.

Comment

We've only lived in this neighborhood for about 8 months and it's really nice, most of the neighbors we have are elderly, and we are a member of the neighborhood crime watch...it just seems like all of the sudden there are all of these break ins...and my daughter (3months) and I are here all day....it makes me scared that it's happening in broad daylight like this!

Comment

You can't find better watch dogs than the elderly. They are home most all the time and sit and watch out the windows at all that's going on outside. I know because I've lived in some senior apartment complexes and not much goes unseen by somebody.

Comment

Here's a site that sales generic security signs http://www.homesecuritystore.com/ezStore123/DTProductList.asp?p=2_1_1_1_0_0_143.

It's been on the news a lot lately telling people never post the security signs for the actual system they have installed. It's easy enough to get your hands on a handbook for the system and bypass it.
              The average woman would rather have beauty than brains, because the average man can see better than he can think.

Comment

The Southern Home Security System
                1. Go to a second-hand store and buy a pair of men's used size 14-16 work boots.
                2. Place them on your front porch, along with several empty beer cans, a copy of Guns & Ammo magazine and several NRA magazines.
                3. Put a few giant dog dishes next to the boots and magazine.
                4. Leave a note on your door that reads:
                Hey Bubba,
                Big Jim, Duke, Slim and I went to the gun shop for more ammunition. Back in an hour. Don't mess with the pit bulls -- they attacked the mailman this morning and messed him up real bad. I don't think Killer took part in it but it was hard to tell from all the blood.
                PS - I locked all four of 'em in the house. Better wait outside

I agree with the beware of dog signs. I had them on my fence only because the people I bought the house from had dogs and just left the signs on the fence. Anytime somebody came to do work on the house, they double questioned me to make sure there were no dogs back there. People are afraid of large dogs.

Comment

Din Din, so funny, that is a wonderful tip. I may even use it. Thanks for the laugh. There may be some truth to it. I would be scared after reading that note.

Comment

I had a great aunt whose husband had died way too young, she lived alone. If she received a phone call for a Mr _____ or someone came to her door, she always acted like he was in the other room, yelling out to him, then she would say something like he could not come to the door, he was busy. She also listed her phone number in her husband's name, even thou he was dead. When my husband worked nights, I would lock the doors at night and used a door prop, you can buy them at the store. I also think a dog is a good idea, from the outside of your door, they can't tell how big the dog is.

Comment

Thanks for the ideas! Din, I forwarded yours to my husband at work so he could have a laugh!

Comment

I was thinking today about security systems. Do any of you have them? What brand? Are you satisfied with it? And lastly do you pay monthly?

Comment

We have one, AT&T, I think we pay monthly, SO does that one, so I am not sure. Yes, we are very happy with our system. And we know it works, because we had the police at our door at 2 am, wanting to know if we are alright. LOL Long story, too long for this board. Also one day I got a call from the alarm people wanting to know if we had a problem, they received a fire alarm for our house. Well, I was on the road, so I turned around and headed home and there was the fire dept. truck in front of our house waiting for me. They had already checked all of the outside, waiting for me to come home to check the inside. NO fire, no clue why the received the call ? Got to love computers...

Comment

If you see strange people hanging around, hit the panic button on your car alarm system. The nice thing about this is that you can control the on/off from inside the house. Let it honk for a while. If they are of suspect, they'll leave.

It sure is discouraging to live in nice neighborhoods and watch the crime rate increase. It's happening all over. My husband had a very expensive watch stolen out of the car, in broad daylight, sitting right in the driveway. We generally don't leave cars unlocked and learned an expensive lesson.

Comment

That was a good one DinDin!!!
                              Have you made time to listen to the birds today........

Comment

Working...
                              X