Roasted Chicken and Dressing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roasted Chicken and Dressing

I am thinking about doing a chicken for Thanksgiving, since there will only be three of us, and we dont want to be eating turkey for the next 6 months. Does anyone know if it is possible to fix a whole chicken the same way that you would a turkey? I would like to stuff it with dressing, cause that the best part of thanksgiving anyway, lol lol. I am thinking that it would be done in a couple of hours at 350 degrees? Any tips or suggestions?

thanks
    Theresa

Re: Roasted Chicken and Dressing

Sure you could get a BIG chicken. I think they are called Capons. But really, if you get a 10 lb. turkey, there won't be a whole lot of left overs. Plus it tastes better (being younger than the big chicken) and the extra meat can be cleaned off the carcass, chopped and frozen, and in 2 months you could have some very nice turkey pies or even a quick turkey stew.

And I think, when you compare prices, the small turkey will end up being about the same price or even less expensive than the big chicken--and a whole lot less fatty.
    Communicate. It can't make things any worse!

Comment

Any Italians out there?? Dating my DH Thanksgiving is a day I have never knew until I went to his parents, WOW!!! it starts out the wedding soup, then meatballs & pasta, OK then MIL (not know she would be) comes out with a capon never heard of it but chicken, this is strange. with all the fixings too. the dressing, cranberry sauce, potatoes, beans, and all that the salad. Then desert. I never had a 3hr dinner in my life, it was so good, learned the next yr. only take bites of stuff because it kept coming out. Thanksgiving is a very long day with them. I never understood they didn't have turkey, I'm Irish. Now DD & I were talking about it and she said Mom I really don't like turkey that much. Maybe I should get a capon. I ask MIL what is the difference between capon & chicken?? She said a capon never had sex. I don't know, laughed, is that true or is she playing around???

Comment

A capon is a castrated rooster.
        I bought a turkey breast for dinner the other night. It was just enough for dinner and some sandwiches the next day.

Comment

Oh, would the capon be tough?? I think I rather have a chicken, I really like turkey breast, but to please I will do chicken, yes, Dh doesn't do leftovers only once so it will be 3 of us so we are limited too I'm not going to go crazy with Thanksgiving. One pie, maybe now chicken, dressing, gravy cranberry sauce beans, and call it a day. Throw in the football, so that will be fun too. So many games to watch, DH could care less about the holiday.

Comment

Actually, if you are doing chicken-it should be a roaster. As roset pointed out it would be tough--find a small turkey or think of doing cornish hens?/
            Nommie

Thought for the day: Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away!

Comment

I was going to suggest Cornish Game Hens too.
              Paula Deen cooked some on her show. You could check out her recipe at FoodNetwork.com

We make chicken & dressing several times a year. Turns out great.
              I just get a Baking Hen.

But yes, a small turkey would be perfect too - and would produce enough leftovers to make turkey salad, or turkey pot pie, or turkey noodle soup...........etc.

The dressing is one of my favorites and we deep fry our turkey which is awesome!
              And all of the sides! I can't wait.

BTW - once again learned something new........about the Capon - castrated rooster..........sorry - but that is just funny! Never heard of such a thing! Learn something new on CK every day!!!!!!!

Comment

Our next lesson will be "How to turn your heat on"
                Nommie

Thought for the day: Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away!

Comment

I think i am going to try a roasting hen this weekend. Thanks for all the tips and suggestions. I am going to check out the Capon, never heard of anything like a castrated chicken, but i have got to see this, lol lol.
                  Theresa

Comment

Mom and I usually do a turkey breast. She only likes the white meat, anyway. Then, there is enough leftover for turkey pie.
                    A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart and can sing it back to you when you have forgotten the words.

Comment

Working...
                    X