Birthday season - birthday ... pie ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Birthday season - birthday ... pie ?

In our house the birthdays are way wacky - each person chooses a dinner OR a cake (because most of us can't eat both). And not a traditional birthday cake either; no one wants a light cake with all that gummy frosting & writing on it. The sky's the limit on the sweet treat that each person can choose - that I can bake, of course.

DD got her (bought) birthday sushi back in September and it was a big hit. DS wants the King Arthur chocolate torte for his November birthday that was posted last year and looks fabulous.

DH, also a November birthday, is a little harder to make happy - we got down to a pecan pie or a strawberry shortcake. I have tried several times to make a good strawberry shortcake but have failed in the attempts. (He wants something like he had as a kid. As we age, our tasebuds somehow do NOT get better memories - I think that he is thinking of something that doesn't really exist.) Pie it is !

This year they'd better not forget MY (also Nov) birthday like they did last year ...
    I don't want buns of steel. I want buns of cinnamon !!!

Re: Birthday season - birthday ... pie ?

I'VE ALWAYS LET THE BIRTHDAY PERSON CHOOSE THEIR BIRTHDAY MEAL AND WHAT KIND OF CAKE.

THIS YEAR, DS CHOSE CHEESECAKE AND..... I'VE FORGOT!!!

DD CHOSE STRAWBERRY DAQUARI CHEESECAKE, EGG ROLLS, FRENCH FRIES, BROCCOLI BEEF! WHAT A COMBO! LOL

Comment

My Sister used to request Rice Pudding instead of Birthday Cake...lol!
      Have you made time to listen to the birds today........

Comment

Nu - that sounds fabulous!

TexAnn - I'm gonna tell DD; she's gonna want that for her next birthday, I'll bet !!!!

Comment

My Mother used to tell us we could pick our birthday dinner, and I continued the tradition w/my kids. I still remember some of my "birthday dinners" and most of them were not that difficult to prepare...just things I liked. One year I picked hamburgers, another year chili, one year chicken and dumplings.

Comment

For the last few years DH has been ordering lemon meringe pie instead of traditional cake.
            A balanced diet is a cookie in both hands

Comment

Frankly, I enjoy pie better than cake!
              Have you made time to listen to the birds today........

Comment

DS birthday is in a few days. He wants Down East Style Chicken And Dumplings, and a Pockets Of Lemon Cake.

DD is a vegan and so I don't attempt to make her dinner. But she likes Pie, so I make her a berry pie because I won't attempt to make a vegan cake. LOL!

I never get to decorate cakes anymore. I kind of miss it. I have over a hundred cake pans (most of them) collecting dust.

Comment

DH & I don't have cake anymore, we try to stay away from it but DD 20yrs old always gets a cake,the last few yrs, somehow she will not cut the cake always saying we will cut it tomorrow but once that cake sat for 4 days. I even get those number candles and we never light them. I think she really doesn't like cake & will not tell me. She would rather have brownies or cupcakes. In fact DH's birthday is next week, he is more about going out to dinner than sweets.

Comment

it was a very small pecan pie and dh ate the whole thing !!!!!!!

Comment

we aren't huge cake eaters either.
                      DS likes peach cobbler. he always askes for that and bbq ribs.

last birthday i had a cake because the girls wanted to make me one, but we also had huge loaded banana splits. loaded to the top.
                      I just hold on tighter, to a hand that's stronger...he knows my every thought, he clears my weary heart, and hold's on tighter...

Comment

i always have Apple pie and my daughter loves Pineapple upside down cake for her birthday!

Comment

Working...
                        X