Serious question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serious question

Why is it that all (most) sports players feel the need to SPIT? I watched the last few innings of the World Series game last night and had to shut my eyes more times rather than watch ball players spit! I said to Babe that if I were the Commissioner of Baseball, I'd fine a spitter every single time he spit.

Many chew gum... is it because they produce too much saliva? When I chew gum... I swallow the extra saliva!!

I had a prof in college who used to throw out "sayings" and wait for people in class to finish them. Once he said, "The difference betw. men and boys..... "

The answer is "... is the price of their toys." But I piped up and said, "I don't know, but I REALLY hope it's that men don't feel the need to SPIT everywhere!!"

A few years ago I had a houseful of people for supper and neighbor's bratty son (remember him??) hocked a big loogie right into my kitchen waste can... I almost died. I said, "PLEASE tell me you did NOT just SPIT into my kitchen trash????" His completely non-disciplining mother said, "Well, it's obvious you didn't raise boys." I said, "CAUSE IF I DID RAISE BOYS, THEY'D BE ALLOWED TO SPIT IN MY TRASH??????"

WHY do boys spit? Seriously... WHY???
    "What fresh hell is this?" Dorothy Parker

Re: Serious question

I think its a guy thing.
    Its cool to be gross to them.
    What about them always scratching down there too.... Ick!
    Or the football players grabbing the other players butt?
    But we seem to love them anyway....
    Have you made time to listen to the birds today........

Comment

I don't know and I cannot stand it either!!! what is even worse is when the girls spit
      years ago DS had a few friends over and 3 of the girls were spitting like every couple of seconds,,,,we were all outside. I was absolutely shocked and disgusted! I had to ask them WHY???? do you do this!!!!! They all said too much saliva builds up in their mouths and they have to get rid of it. I told them how un-ladylike it was,,,the girls didn't think it was a big deal,,,duh???????
      A balanced diet is a cookie in both hands

Comment

Originally posted by MudderBear View Post
        I don't know and I cannot stand it either!!! what is even worse is when the girls spit
        years ago DS had a few friends over and 3 of the girls were spitting like every couple of seconds,,,,we were all outside. I was absolutely shocked and disgusted! I had to ask them WHY???? do you do this!!!!! They all said too much saliva builds up in their mouths and they have to get rid of it. I told them how un-ladylike it was,,,the girls didn't think it was a big deal,,,duh???????
        Girls spitting is simply beyond my comprehension... seriously!!

Comment

It is a male thing, I have a DH and 3 DS that are now grown-some of those baseball players are eating sunflower seeds and they may be spitting the hull out. Anyway, I agree it is gross, but men probably think we do gross stuff too

Comment

I actually just sent the Baseball Commissioner an email... I'll hold my breath for a response!

Comment

Originally posted by wellsms View Post
              It is a male thing, I have a DH and 3 DS that are now grown-some of those baseball players are eating sunflower seeds and they may be spitting the hull out. Anyway, I agree it is gross, but men probably think we do gross stuff too
              These spitters weren't spitting out seed hulls... it was gobs of saliva!! BLECH!!!

Comment

maybe they have tobacco in their mouths?

Comment

Originally posted by AllieK View Post
                  maybe they have tobacco in their mouths?
                  I think they USED to, but I don't think that's allowed anymore. Holy cow... spitting gobs of tobacco is even WORSE!!

Comment

It's gross, I don't know why they do it. I have a houseful of males (1dh and 3 boys). We don't spit, we don't scratch down there, we don't burp the alphabet, we're not animals! Who knows what they do when they aren't in my presence, but I try.

Comment

Originally posted by luvs2eat View Post

A few years ago I had a houseful of people for supper and neighbor's bratty son (remember him??) hocked a big loogie right into my kitchen waste can... I almost died. I said, "PLEASE tell me you did NOT just SPIT into my kitchen trash????" His completely non-disciplining mother said, "Well, it's obvious you didn't raise boys." I said, "CAUSE IF I DID RAISE BOYS, THEY'D BE ALLOWED TO SPIT IN MY TRASH??????"

WHY do boys spit? Seriously... WHY???

Where would you have preferred he spit it? The trash can seems more than appropriate to me!

He drew a circle that shut me out -
                      Heretic, rebel, a thing to flout.
                      But Love and I had the wit to win:
                      We drew a circle that took him in.
                      -Edwin Markham

Comment

it IS gross. i certainly don't spit in public or aside from brushing my teeth.

okay, except the few times i had bad bad bad strep throat and "couldn't" swallow. tmi ?
                        I don't want buns of steel. I want buns of cinnamon !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dickens View Post
                          Where would you have preferred he spit it? The trash can seems more than appropriate to me!
                          Into a tissue, maybe? In the bathroom?? Outside???

Comment

Luvs..my 10 yr grandson is playing tackle football this yr. It seems to take at least 8 men to coach the team and you should see the spitting going on at each practice and game! A bee flew into one of the kid's helmet and stung him a few weeks ago and he cried! No crying in football! You should have seen the spitting then LMAO

A day without laughter is a day wasted...Charlie Chaplin

Comment

Originally posted by luvs2eat View Post
                              Into a tissue, maybe? In the bathroom?? Outside???
                              Seriously? Nothing grosses me out more than to see a big loogie laying there on the cement. I KNOW!!! He should have swallowed it! LMAO

He drew a circle that shut me out -
                              Heretic, rebel, a thing to flout.
                              But Love and I had the wit to win:
                              We drew a circle that took him in.
                              -Edwin Markham

Comment

Working...
                              X