Gym Hot Tub - unhealthy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gym Hot Tub - unhealthy?

DH has been really sick for a few days. He has lumps, some expressing blood. MD put him on augmentin on Tuesday. Worse today, so we saw an infectious disease doctor at the office. He put DH on Cipro and said if he isn't getting better by Saturday they will have to put him on an IV antibiotic - twice a day - outpatient. This doc said it was probably the hot tub at our gym.

Anyone have a problem like this before? Doc seemed to indicate it is fairly common. I have never seen anything like this. We took care of elderly parents and raised three kids, thought I had seen it all.

Re: Gym Hot Tub - unhealthy?

The hot tub at the gym I used to go to used so much chlorine bleach that *nothing* could live in there. The whole facility reeked of chlorine.

Comment

A friend of mine developed a horrible skin infection from using a hot tub at a hotel. It was a few yrs ago so I don't remember all the details, but I never use them because of her ordeal. I hope your DH gets well soon smokey!

A day without laughter is a day wasted...Charlie Chaplin

Comment

I would never use a hot tub at a gym....
        Nommie

Thought for the day: Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away!

Comment

Geez, that is awful!!!
          Hope he is doing better.
          Fortunately for me, I suppose, I haven't been near a hot tub in nearly three years...not that I wouldn't leap at the chance...lol! But this will definitely shine a new light on the subject, for sure!!!
          Definitely stay away from Gym Hot-Tubs!!!
          Thanks for sharing this!
          Have you made time to listen to the birds today........

Comment

I rarely use hot tubs at public places. But we have one at home and maintain a regiment of chemicals to keep it safe.

Comment

In my opinion public hot tubs are breeding grounds for bacteria. I don't go into them, not even at the hotels in Las Vegas, who overall take very good care of their pools / hot tubs.
              I used to have a hot tub at my old house and made sure it was clean , checked everything and cleaned everything on a regular basis.

Comment

This is a really upscale place but I guess it doesn't matter. Poor guy. The spa tub was the one place he got some relief from all of the stress of our lawsuit.. I don't think I will go in a public one again. I don't want what he has - ever. He always showers afterward but I guess it doesn't help.

Comment

the only place I use a hot tub is in my back yard. The public ones are gross............and knowing what bodily fluids are in there makes me almost throw up when I see people in there.

Yes, I am pretty sure he got the rash from the hot tub and he needs to stay out of it. Plus be careful and wipe down with anti bacteria wipes the equipment he uses.

Comment

We get people several times a year some in for a "hot tub rash" So, I'm going to say it's fairly common. People need to learn to clean them more often.
                    "Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent." ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

http://www.newsweek.com/id/106593

Comment

We had one in our yard and DH was always cleaning it or doing something to it, so nice to take a soak but I was so worried I would get a vagina infection. I rather just soak in my bathtub with clean water, I have jets in the tub too and they get funky. I am always cleaning them out. I not happy with them either.

Comment

Working...
                        X