DH Bladder Tumor & Cath

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DH Bladder Tumor & Cath

My DH is having a bladder tumor removed on Tuesday and the surgeon said he will be wearing a cathether and bag for a couple days. Neither of us know anything about what to expect. He is more concerned about the bag, etc. than the operation (outpatient). The Dr. did tell him to wear baggy sweat pants. Is the cathether going to be painful? Anybody with any tips on making him more comfortable?

Re: DH Bladder Tumor & Cath

I wore one when I had surgery some years back. I had bladder repair surgery and had to learn to pee all over again. It was not bad and the only thing you need to make sure of is no infection when removed. Google bladder catherization and you will get more information.
    Nommie

Thought for the day: Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away!

Comment

I had one too for my bowels, lucky I only had it for a few months, it doesn't hurt but you must keep it clean, supplies came in the mail. Yes baggie pants. I had eleastic waist ones. Usually people don't know you have one. Also keep supplies with you at all times if you go out. Does he have to wear it for life or a few months?

Comment

Dr. said he only had to wear it a few days. He's hardly ever been sick, been very healthy and this is really throwing him for a loop. He has high blood pressure and takes medication for it, and his anxiety over this problem is causing it to be higher than usual.

Comment

I had one last year and didn't even know I had it until they wanted to remove it and I paniced. But it actually did not bother me at all. So I'd tell him not to worry.

Comment

Most of the male patients where I work wear leg foley bags, which are smaller and slimmer bags that can be attached to the calf via rubber strap and can be worn under most pants without being detected. As for comfort, the only time I personally had a foley were the times I had surgery. It was uncomfortable when it was put in, but once I got used to it, it didnt hurt at all. If it hurts after being inserted for while, something is not quite right. And if it leaks its not right. Most of my patients let me know when theirs needs to be changed because it "doesnt feel quite right".

Comment

It hurts worse in men than women I've heard. My Dad had one for several days and he complained the whole time... I hope it won't be the same for you DH. I had one for a week after my bladder tuck, and I didn't feel it. It was great not having to run to bathroom. I hope the surgery goes well.

Comment

((((JennyS)))))(((((Jenny's Dad))))))

Hope everything goes well. My dad was diagnosed with bladder cancer several years ago, had chemo via his catheter, went well, cancer free now, has just yearly checks. He really didn't complain about his catheter (foley) at the time. Some men just have more of that male ego/testosterone problem than others. DH probably would be moaning about it 24/7.

Thoughts and prayers with you and your dad!!!
                "Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent." ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Nu - It's husband not Dad.

Thanks to all for the very useful comments and advise. I now have some new areas to "google". I know I can always count on you all to answer any and all questions that come up in my life. You are lifesavers!

Comment

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((JENNY and DH))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))) a few days may seem like an eternity at times

Comment

Yes, it will. DH does not do sickly real well.

Comment

Jenny, just deal with him, my girlfriend's DH had prostrate cancer and had that done, he had a few days of that and he is a big baby. She was stress out with him, they did get it all done and he is fine now, but he was complaining & she was going insane. Gettings meds, cleaning him etc.. he was a mess, All men are big babies if they get sick. She did go with him to the Dr. after weeks later, the Dr. said you are fine & go back to work, this guy went into depression, she said you are fine and they said it's gone, you are ready to go back to work. I think he really liked the attention and didn't want to go back to work. Well, she had to have a talk with him and now he is better.

Comment

I really don't think men have the same tolerance for pain as women do. I don't think the average man could handle monthly cramps and having babies. lol

Comment

It's common for men to go into depression after an illness like that. My late husband went into severe depression after his heart bypass surgery. We never did find the right meds for him. He never got over his depression. Men are big babies when they're sick. That's for sure.

Back to the subject, I've had a catheter several times after surgery, and they weren't painful at all. I don't know how it goes with a man, though.
                            Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end.

Comment

My girlfriend kept calling me she was so stressed out, DH had prostrate cancer saying he was dying but also he wanted to buy a new car & spend all his money, then she went to Dr. office when he had check up, the man was fine, thank God she went, she thought he was dying from what she heard from hubby. Dr. said go back to work the tests are fine. Her hubby got mad that she went to the Dr. with him, so no new car for him. She went threw hell & back all he did was complain, she waited on him not knowing what was going on. Then she wised up after talking to Dr. this guy just turned 50yrs. He had that tube too, she kept it so clean. The crap she took from him, he wanted so much attention, she did it and was worn out. He got mad that she went to the Dr. with him. She was so stressed out . He told her stuff and Dr. said another thing. Wow what a big baby. Anything near or around the penis the men become babies.

Comment

Working...
                              X