I've got lots and lots of PECANS!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've got lots and lots of PECANS!!

I've moved into a subdivision that was once a pecan orchard. The builders have left a whole bunch of the trees. The trees are now dropping their pecans and I'm having a field day! DD and I went out a couple days ago and brought back 3 huge sacks of the nuts. DD said it was like going easter egg hunting..lol
    Seriously, I don't know why the entire neighborhood is not out there gathering them up. I hate seeing stuff going to waste. Oh, by the way, our hoa said it was ok for anybody and everybody to pick up the pecans if they want them.

My question is....how do I crack the shells open and not crush the nut meat? I want to try and get them out of their shell whole.
    I've already googled this but I'll ask you all anyway...can I freeze them in their shell or do I have to crack them all?
    Pecan pies here I come....lol

Re: I've got lots and lots of PECANS!!

This is the way I do it. There's a tool that looks like a pair of pliers. It has 2 blades on it to cut through the shell. I cut both ends off of the pecans with that and then take a pecan cracker and gently crack the shell all the way around until it is in little pieces. Do not use a heavy hand doing this or you will crack the meat all up. With a little practice, it gets easier. There is no way to get every pecan to shell right. You will always break some of the halves.

Comment

I've done it that same way - soooo many times.
      And yes - you will break a lot, but you still use them anyway.
      With as many as you have - and more to come - you may want to invest in a nut cracker specifically for pecans.

You will be making ALL kinds of things with nuts:

Pecan Pies
      Pecan Pie Muffins
      Divinity
      Fudge
      Chocolate Nut Bark Candy
      Freezing some
      Gift some

Don't forget to toast some in the oven, then stir in some salt, brown suger and butter, return to oven for just a few minutes - and have some wonderful candied nuts! Yum!!!!

That is great that the builders left those trees! So often they don't! Enjoy!!!!

Comment

My former FIL had tons of pecan trees on his property and he had a certain nut cracker just for pecans, it sat on top of the kitchen table. And he would sit there on cold , rainy days and shell tons and tons of pecans.

Comment

I bought a pecan cracker from QVC a few years ago and it works great.

Comment

They are much faster than the old fashioned way and work very well.

I would recommend that for sure - and avoid those hand cramps before you get them!

Comment

lucky you..i wish i had a pecan or walnut tree..but then the squirrels would drive my dh crazy..we have squirrel problems..

Comment

When we went south a year ago, we stopped and bought a huge bag of pecans, my DH shelled them for me, he just did it when he was watching tv. He was good at it and hardly had any pieces. Yes you can freeze them, I just leave them frozen until I need them. If you decide not to freeze all of them, remember they will go a bit rancid after so long.

Comment

Yum DS2's recipe
                  1C Sugar 1/2 C Water 1 tsp Cinnamon 1/2 tsp Nutmeg 1/2 tsp Ground Cloves 2 heaping cups pecans Roast pecans on a cookie sheet for 15 min in oven at 350 deg. While they are cooking, boil sugar, water and spices in a large pot on top of stove until soft ball stage(232deg on a candy thermometer). Pour nuts into bouled syrup. Remove from heat and stir nuts until well coated and dry looking. Pour onto a sheet of waxed paper and cool.

Comment

I have one pecan tree and it produces plenty of pecans Two years ago I had to practically beg people to take them. This year I have a loaded tree again, but I still have ten pounds I froze last year I just drop them whole into a big freezer bag and freeze. My neighbor has already picked up 5-5gallon buckets from his.

I would love to get a good sheller as I have the pliers type, but "arthur" doesn't let me shell many at a time.

Someone told me that you could pour boiling hot water over them and let set a few minutes and they would crack easier..will give that a try.
                    I organize chores into catagories.
                    Things I won't do now; things I won't do later; things I'll never do.

Comment

Don't worry about them - send them to me and I'll take care of it for you.

Comment

Crack them the old fashion way, use a hammer. Stress relief.

Comment

You are so lucky. I would kill for some pecan trees in my yard. Well not really but man, I wish I had some. The pecan crop is not looking very good here this year because the remnants of IKE tore through here like a woman with PMS. If you break them while you are cracking then, just save the bits to toss into some chocolate chip cookie dough. YUM!
                          Spicy food speeds up your metabolism. Put salsa on your cupcakes.

http://find-teresa-butler.tripod.com

Comment

I love pecans and all you can do with them. But am so alergic to the pollen I have a hard time with just a couple in the neighborhood.

Huffle
                            God grant me the serenity to accept the yarn I cannot return... courage to change the yarn I can... and the reciept to know the difference.

Comment

I lived in a pecan grove many years ago and was blessed with an abundance of pecans.
                              I have two very young trees planted on my property and look forward to the day that they mature enough to reward me with pecans. They are like gold right now! I paid over $6 for a bag of shelled pecans yesterday! So enjoy your pecans! I am happy for you!
                              Have you made time to listen to the birds today........

Comment

Working...
                              X