Lap Band Surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lap Band Surgery

My co-worker is really looking into having this done. She has researched it quite a bit, is thinking of going to Tijuana (sp??) where it is cheaper to have it done. Has anyone had it done? I can look it up on the net to see the risks and all that, but would be nice to chat with someone who has had it done and see what they think.

Re: Lap Band Surgery

My brother and sister-in-law both had it done. It requires a change in lifestyle. It has worked for them for the weight loss. I wouldn't recommend going out of the country to have it done. Patient has to be monitored and adjustments have to be made in the band. It requires a lifestyle change on what you eat and what you drink.
    Nommie

Thought for the day: Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away!

Comment

I have a friend who is having not just bypass surgery, but they're cutting off the top part of her stomach to make the actual organ smaller... THEN bypassing much of the small intestine.

I asked her why she didn't consider the lap band? She said that there are more complications then they tell us about on TV commercials... hence their promises to monitor you for 3 years.

I'm still thinking the surgery she'll have is way more dangerous... but what do I know??
      "What fresh hell is this?" Dorothy Parker

Comment

that's what gastric by pass IS
        they remove a ton of intestines and make it a straight shot, cut out half your stomach, remove the gall bladder and appendix.

many more complications with the by pass than the lap band which is reversable.
        a girl at my work had the lap ban done. end of the school year last year. she had to be on liquids for 3 weeks before the surgery, she lost a bunch of weight then. today she is thinner but not by a a lot. not as fast with the band as it is with the by pass.
        perhaps that is why she wants the by pass?

i posted once here about my aunt who had the by pass surgery...
        search it, it's not pretty.

i gotta run just popped in to reply to a pm.
        later gators.
        I just hold on tighter, to a hand that's stronger...he knows my every thought, he clears my weary heart, and hold's on tighter...

Comment

MY friend just had this done a few months ago. Not sure how she isdoing with it.. just remember two days after surgery she was already counting days where she could have a burger.
          My Cuz had the surgery and died 4mths later from complications. There was a tear somewhere and she got infected. she was diabetic and the infection went nuts. They put her into a drug induced coma and had IVs of antibotics. Infection got into her brain and after 2wks they told my aunt she was brain dead.

Comment

I absolutely wouldn't go to Mexico to have anything done. There is a good reason that it is cheaper there. Is it an outpatient surgery?

Comment

Originally posted by JennyS View Post
              I absolutely wouldn't go to Mexico to have anything done. There is a good reason that it is cheaper there. Is it an outpatient surgery?
              Actually... medical care is cheaper EVERYWHERE except in the United States. Doctors and hospitals in big cities in Mexico (like affiliated w/ universities) wouldn't be much different than anywhere else... I might investigate places in Europe to save money tho... the cost of medical care in the U.S. is absurd!!
              "What fresh hell is this?" Dorothy Parker

Comment

My friend considered this but her doctor rejected her and instead gave her a diet to follow. She has follwed the diet pretty strictly and has lost a ton of weight in a year. I'd ask if a diet will help and try that first.

Comment

If I were to do it, I'd have the lap band. Less complications, less invasive. Bariatric surgery, they cut you from stem to stern, lay you wide open, major, major surger, have to make sure your heart/lungs/body is up to such a major surgery. Lap band is still a major surgury, but less invasive. The patients we have that has had it, have just a few small scars, almost like DH has after his laproscopic gallbladder surgery.

Bariatric surgery, you can starve to death, we've had to have patients get reversals because they were litterally starving to death. Most have to start B12 shots because most of your stomach is gone and it doesn't produce the "Intrinsic factor" you need to absorb B12, and you can't take oral B12 because the stomach acid eats it up before it can absorb.

Lap ban, your whole stomach is still there, but there is a band around a portion of it, that is loose at first then they gradually "tighten" it so your eating less and less.

There are major side effects to each. I'd make sure to consult my PCP for a complete physical and even a Cardiologist consult. Think about it, your overweight, you've already effected your heart, lungs and all your major organs. Make sure they're healthy enough to go thru it.

I've heard good and bad about both surgeries. Neither one is 100%, you can gain all your weight back. You have to modify you diet tremendously. You have to exercise.

And...I would definitly NOT go to Mexico to have my surgery. I shudder to think what would happen!!!

I've thought about the lap band myself. Most insurance's you have to have a BMI above a certain #, and/or be 100lbs over weight, and other health problems. I'm not quite 100lbs overweight, and I'm NOT going to gain weight to have the surgery! Plus, my insurance doesn't pay for it.
                  "Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent." ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Doctors in Mexico have been doing the LB for years and years and most of the LB clinics in Mexico are very good, very clean, very into pleasing the US client. That said.....I would not do LB in Mexico because the LapBand requires a great deal of aftercare and most surgeons in the US will not do aftercare for patients who have had their surgery anywhere else, especially out of the country. If she decides to go ahead with it, she MUST have an agreement in advance with a local LB surgeon to do her aftercare (fills, adjustments, etc). The aftercare is what makes the band work and it requires skill and frequent 'tweaking' to get it just right. Without that, it's a waste of money.

If she'd like to research Mexico doctors (or any other doctors) she can go to www.ObesityHelp.com and go to the various forums. It's an extensive site and gives lots of good professional information.

GastricBypass patients lose weight much faster than LapBand but you only have about an 18-24 month 'window of opportunity' ..during that time your body will reject all sugar and most fat and you will throw up and sometimes pass out and sweat if you eat them (pretty good motivation) in addition to having the tiny pouch (3-4 oz).....after that your body begins to adjust and you are own your own (in most cases, not all) - you must have learned a new lifestyle and eating habits after that to keep the weight off after that. It is imperative that a bypass patient take high-quality bariatric vitamins for the rest of their life because they no longer can absorb the necessary nutrients thru their intestines.....if they dont', they get sick, lose their hair, etc etc.

The LapBand, on the other hand, is a tool you've got in your body for life. It is adjusted and the band is tightened as you lose weight and need more restriction. The LB patient also has a small pouch (3-4 oz) but does not have the malabsorption problems that a bypass patient does because their intestines are still intact. They still need to take good multivitamins, though. If for any reason, the patient wants to no longer have the band, it can just be emptied and it's just like not having any thing in there at all....usually no reason to remove it. Some girls have their emptied during pregnancy or illness, etc. but then they can be adjusted later if they choose.

As for food after weight loss surgery.......bypass patients can't tolerate sugar or fat, lapband patients can but that does not mean they should!! Not if they want to lose weight anyhow. I know many LB patients who have lost 100-200 lbs - but the ONLY ones I know who have been able to do that are the ones who choose to eat just as if they had had bypass surgery -

The basic diet for success is......

Every meal must start with protein....then add a little green healthy carb. That's it.

80-100 grams protein/day (it's hard to get that much with a tiny pouch so most people
                    supplement with protein shakes - there are some great ones on the market but you have you hunt for them).

Less than 40-50 grams carbs/day until you are at your goal weight then you can add a few more - and ALL those carbs must be healthy carbs, NO white carbs, no starches, no sugars. (It is almost impossible anyhow for a LB patient to swallow breads, but you don't need it anyhow)

At least 64-80 oz water (tea, etc) a day

Exercise

NO carbonated drinks of any kind, not even diet colas.

Take your vitamins.

The infomercials make it sounds easy. It's not. It requires maturity and knowledge and self-discipline. The band is wonderful, but it's just a tool to help you learn a new lifestyle. If a doctor says "just eat what you always ate, just less" he is giving you a sales pitch. Yes, you will lose some weight because you have a small pouch, but you won't be healthy and you won't lose much and keep it off...... you will learn to 'eat around' the band.....the things that go down easiest are the worst things for you (ice cream, chips,etc.). You have to eat right. It's also possible to stretch your pouch if you overeat.

Also, all of the weight loss surgeries are on your stomach.....not on your head. If you are an emotional eater or a complusive eater or eat for comfort, you need to get counseling before taking this step. And you will probably need a counselor during the journery. It's also very helpful to be in a support group either in person or on line. There are some good ones on line (and some bad ones, too).

I hope this helped answer some of your questions and corrected some of the misinformation that is out there floating around (and there's lots of it). It's something that must be researched and carefully considered before stepping off the edge.

Comment

My nehpew had the lap band a year ago and he is fatter now than before the surgery. They think its a quick fix and it is not. If you follow a diet like WW you will loose weight and not have to go thru this drastic measure. I am so against this cause some of these doctors just pass patience thru-give the OK and they are not mentally ready. This young adult was not ready and all the talking I did was for not. UGHHH

Comment

That's true, mellon. Patients need to be ready mentally. My niece, who is 39, was ready for it, and her Lap Band surgery has been a great success for her. She has lost weight, and feels wonderful. She so much happier. I'm happy for her.

Kairen's insurance covered her surgery. She had to request it like 3 times, but they finally approved it. I don't think I would have it done in Mexico, and to fly anywhere else would probably cost as much as the surgery.
                        Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end.

Comment

She had it done a long timeago and she at first lost weight, then gained it all back. Diet and exercise it what changes your weight. If you don't stick to it, it doesn't work.

Comment

Read the newest news articles, lap band is far less effective and has far more complications that gastric bypass believe it or not.

Gastric bypass better than Lap-Band, study says - Health - Diet and nutrition - msnbc.com

Comment

It's really sad that people's health have come to this.
                              I don't want buns of steel. I want buns of cinnamon !!!

Comment

Working...
                              X