Does potting soil go bad??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does potting soil go bad??

A few years ago I brought a huge bag of Miracle Gro used some of it and tightly sealed it back, now it seems dried up & in clumps. Can I use it?

Re: Does potting soil go bad??

It just needs rehydrating - like the desert

Comment

I do live in Az. and that garage will dry up anything you store in it. I will give it a try, maybe wet it and let it sit and use it. I hate to waste it.

Comment

It never goes bad. Kinda like a fine wine, it just mellows with age. The organic ingredients just further break down (good thing). If it dries out, just add a little moisture back into it. Just beak the clumps apart.

Comment

Funny this should come up. I have a large ziploc full of some that had dried out. Just put a small amount of liquid dish soap in the water. That helps the soil to absorb more water. Take out as much as you need and put it in a different bag, garbage bag if needed. Leave it sit some place warm while it reabsorbs the water. I put mine where it got sunlight. Two days and it should be good to go.

Huffle
          God grant me the serenity to accept the yarn I cannot return... courage to change the yarn I can... and the reciept to know the difference.

Comment

Working...
          X