what would you pay someone...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what would you pay someone...

a friend of ours, female, is in need of money.
    she's very hard working. busts her butt, not afraid of the work at all. would do anything to get the work done. odd jobs here and there you name it. ( almost, nothing illegal)

we need our house painted since we just put up the hardy plank.
    she said she would help us.
    need the awning/eaves, and the second story painted.
    what do you pay her? by the job? but the hour?

she's done this before, painted house's we or he has not. she has helped many in the past. she'll be climbing the ladders and walking on the roof. i realize this will take a toll on her calves. dh snarls and says nah piece of cake.

i want to pay her reasonable. but i don't want to over pay either.
    what do you think.
    i have a fiqure in my head, dh says it's fair.
    but i wanna hear from you first. what'cha got?
    I just hold on tighter, to a hand that's stronger...he knows my every thought, he clears my weary heart, and hold's on tighter...

Re: what would you pay someone...

I'd pay by the job. Give her a figure and go with that... Good luck.

Comment

have you discussed with her what she would think is reasonable? Maybe that would give you a good place to start.

dragun

Comment

Stella, I understand and had people do things in my house too and it's nice to help them out, you did say she has some legs problems, I would do it but DH works for ins. co. and he said if something happens we could get sued. He only wants lic. bonded & insured people in the house because if they fall or get hurt it will go in their ins. and they can't sue us. So take that under consideration, if they get hurt at your house you will held responsible. Also call some painters for a bid to see what they would charge.

Comment

I would ask her for an estimate. If you feel its to low you can take care of that as you wish when she is finished. I would pay by the job.

Comment

I agree with roset. Contractors pay to be licvenced for this stuff. Around here if someone was caught doing this job, the homeowners would be in big trouble. And so would she. So check on that. She might have to be licenced. Also, this would be a pay by the job rate, not hourly.

Comment

Definitely by the job......by the hour can eat you up!! I'd get an estimate from a professional and offer her a little less (because she's NOT a professional).

Comment

I know of people here in town who were 'taken to the cleaners' after a worker got hurt on the job at their home,,,not insured.
                A balanced diet is a cookie in both hands

Comment

Have her give you an estimate. Then get two or three more estimates from other company's. That will give you an idea what would be a fair price.
                  I would be very hesitant to hire someone for a job like that with no insurance to cover her should she fall etc. I really doubt your homeowners ins. would cover something like that. Think twice before you do this, this could come back to haunt you. JMHO

Comment

Is there some kind of disclaimer she can sign that can take care of the liability issue??

Comment

see next post.................geez what a day!!!!!!!!!!

That is EXACTLY what I was gonna say.

If she does have leg problems - I wouldn't hire her to do this job. JMO.

Comment

Originally posted by GayleTX View Post
                        Definitely by the job......by the hour can eat you up!! I'd get an estimate from a professional and offer her a little less (because she's NOT a professional).
                        That is what I was gonna say............not the other thing............geez........hit the wrong one.

Comment

We just paid someone to paint our house and we paid by the job.

Comment

When I hire someone for projects around the house, I pay $10 an hour. I guess partly becasue whomever I hire, needs the money, I appreciate that they are doing something I am to lazy(or don't have the time) to do, and that is what I would want to get if I was trying to earn extra money.

Comment

we took out X amount of money from a stashed savings account to pay for the project. it didn't cost as much as we thought. estimates were 12,000. we have a lot left over.

we told her we'd pay her 300, up to 30 hours. if she works 20 hours she gets the 300 if she works 45 hours she gets the 300.
                              she feels that with both of them painting, her and my husband and me bringing water and snacks then it should be done in a weekend and a half. agreement is she will work until it's done, not quit after 30 hour etc.
                              I just hold on tighter, to a hand that's stronger...he knows my every thought, he clears my weary heart, and hold's on tighter...

Comment

Working...
                              X