X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• first thing you learned to cook

that wasn't out of a box?

do you remember??
    i would say mine was potato salad. do not remember if it was any good or not, or if it had flavor but i do recall thinking what a chore it was and how in the world does granny do this all the time lol
    I just hold on tighter, to a hand that's stronger...he knows my every thought, he clears my weary heart, and hold's on tighter...

Re: first thing you learned to cook

Spaghetti...and I didn't know you are suppose to drain the fat off the hamberger.

Comment

i always thought it was funny when a recipe says " in a medium skillet brown one pound ground meat, drain" ugh yea duh

but starting out i don't think i knew that either.
      i was also told to make a roux and when it is done add your vegetables, to the roux, helps flavor and soften
      well no one one told me to wait for the roux to cool some. i threw in all of that and the green onions were fried.

i have more kitchen disasters than anything. lol
      I just hold on tighter, to a hand that's stronger...he knows my every thought, he clears my weary heart, and hold's on tighter...

Comment

grilled cheese sandwhiches..i remember when i was a youngin making sandwhiches for my parents..when i was 19yrs old my mother died..so i was left taking care of my dad and that's when i really had to learn how to cook..

Comment

Cornbread...it has always been one of my favorite foods. I loved how my Mom made it and I wanted to be able to duplicate it. I was probably about 10 years old.

Comment

The first thing I remember was baking a coffee cake. I was so proud to try a recipe from my "Boys and Girls Cookbook"---I think that was what it was called (anyone recall this book from the 1950's?). It was to have a crumbly topping. I hurried to make this while my parents were grocery shopping, not telling them ahead of time or perhaps I should say not asking permission. I didn't want to wait for the butter to soften so I melted it. Big mistake. Everthing would have tasted just fine but the coffee cake had 'plops' of brown on it instead of the nice crumble. Can you just imagine what I thought it looked like??? I hurried some more, took it out to the burner in the corner of the back yard, did the dishes and put them away and aired the house out of what was really quite a lovely aroma. I don't think my parents ever knew I did that! Oh, pride! LOL
            Mary Ann in Wisconsin
            "A man will be imprisoned in a room with a door that is unlocked and opens inwards as long as it does not occur to him to pull rather than push.

Ludwig Wittgenstein

Comment

Homemade Biscuits, then Brownies and then Scrambled eggs.

I was about 8, but even before that - at an age i can't recall, I was on a stool, helping my Mom mix in things, cracking eggs, pouring the milk, greasing pans, etc.

Loved it for a long time!

Comment

Cocoa wheat's, it had to be cooked on the stove.

Comment

I think it was blueberry muffins, from a box. and a cake we use to make all the time. I don't remember the name, but I remember we all loved it, it was a white cake and you poured a can of fruit cocktail and a can of sweetened condensed milk and bake it. or it may have been after it was baked. By the way, do ya'll have a recipe like that?
                  "Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent." ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

My husband still reminds me of when we were first married - I made a strawberry shortcake, complete with fresh strawberries, and icing. Didn't have any other place to keep it, refrig was too small, so put it in the oven to get it out of the way, and so it would be a surprise for him when he came home from work. Well, the oven still was a little warm from making the cake and everything just ran all over the oven and made a real mess. That was 49 years ago. Believe me, I learned from that mistake.lol

Comment

gumbo..my dad was cajun...also Lemon pound cake

A day without laughter is a day wasted...Charlie Chaplin

Comment

Buttermilk biscuits

Comment

Homemade brownies. They're still a favorite.

Comment

My dh would say..."nothing very well", but he hasn't starved yet, so I guess I'm not doing too bad.
                            I remember the first thing that I cooked was bacon. No one told me that it would crisp up after taking it out of the frying pan. Oops!!

Now to the question. I really cannot remember exactly, but I'm sure it was something boxed, like mac and cheese, or instant potatoes, or something like that.

Comment

My mom taught me to make pies and bread. I've always loved doing that

Comment

Working...
                              X