Gifts~for the ones that have everything

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gifts~for the ones that have everything

Namely parents. It is so hard to buy for them. Over the years we've given them magazine subscriptions, restaurant gift cards, a years coverage to CAA, they take many road trips, home baking baskets, fine wine, wine rack, the typical gloves & socks when we are really stuck. They tell us they don't want anything but, we do like to give something. Now I'm super stumped this year. What about all of you, what do you give your parents?
    A balanced diet is a cookie in both hands

Re: Gifts~for the ones that have everything

One year I made all my DDs favorite foods and froze into individual servings: stuffed peppers, pasta sauce, cookies, bought steaks really nice filets, veal peppers & onions.

Comment

Trust me, when they say they don't want anything - they don't want anything. I so wish my grown DDs would believe me. I know they want to give me "something", so each year I make up a list of small things I need/want that I don't necessarily want to track down myself. Do I get these little things? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Last year, bless their hearts, I got a huge air purifier, a humidifier (do you get the impression they're trying to improve my health/well being?), a heated chair cushion for my steno chair and a few other things. If I get one more thing to plug in I'm going to scream. Here I am trying to conserve electricity to the extent that I've even changed every light bulb in the house to the more energy efficient ones, and yet I have more and more items requiring electricity. Sigh...... It's almost funny.

Comment

My parents have anything, and everything they'd ever want! They travel in their RV all the time. Last year I got them a pre-paid Visa card to use wherever/however they want on their travels. They seemed to think it was a good idea. I dodn't know what I'll do this year. I've already got mom something for ther Kitchen Aid. The Better Beater, I got me and her one.

AND!!! He!! has froze over!! I told you I had bought a Norfolk Island pine, that I was going to use as a christmas tree...... I put lights on it while ago....AND....I wrapped what presents I have and put under it!!

I never wrap until Christmas Eve!!!
        "Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent." ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

My parents don't want/need anything. We've decided that instead of cluttering their lives with more, what we all really want is to just spend some quality time together, so come Jan/Feb (the doldrum months here in WI) we will take them out for a nice supper

Comment

jackibowen...I love your idea!

Comment

Originally posted by Crissy View Post
              My parents don't want/need anything. We've decided that instead of cluttering their lives with more, what we all really want is to just spend some quality time together, so come Jan/Feb (the doldrum months here in WI) we will take them out for a nice supper
              This sounds to me like a wonderful idea. My parents do live out of town but, stop by every now and again, maybe we can take them out to dinner.
              A balanced diet is a cookie in both hands

Comment

My Mom loves going to the Dollar Tree, so I was thinking about getting her a gift card for there. In the past tho I would get them the entertainment books

www.entertainment.com

They have coupons for buy 1 get 1 free dinners and events. There used to be a really good dinner theatre in DE called 3 Little Bakers, and there was a coupon in there for buy 1 dinner and a show get one free.

But there are even supermarket coupons in there too.
                www.freewebs.com/auntanniescakes

I am one of 57 million (who did not vote for BO)

Comment

The last two years I have ordered fresh Christmas wreaths from QVC for several 'hard to buy for' people. They have all been fresh and delivered right on time (you can choose the delivery date). They all seemed very happy with them and said they had a good scent and they lasted a long time. And they got to throw them out when they were through with them.....nothing to put in storage or feel like they had to keep on display.

Comment

This year my mom said "I don't want anything" and then she followed it up with "unless you want to get me some of those wonderful handwashing soaps like from Bath and body". So something practical is what she wanted.

Comment

Mew,
                      Presents with electric cords are not acceptable in our house. The first year I dated my husband he bought me a toaster...augh

Comment

Now there's a good rule Jacki if I ever heard one.

Comment

My MIL is very hard to buy for as she had everything she wants or needs so we went to get with Nathan's brother and sister and bought her an roomba at Sears. I have one and just love it so hope she will like hers.

Comment

I do a gift basket for my parents each year. I usually fill it w/ fresh fruit (Pineapple, Pears, Grapes, Oranges, etc.), nuts, and treats they don't always buy for themselves, and I include a gift card to one of their favorite restaurants and a Christmas CD. They tell me that they would rather have the basket, than a gift, because they can use it. I have also done Breakfast Baskets for them in the past, but I think they prefer the fruit and goody basket. Last year we got my BF's mother a gift certificate to the Community Arts Center because she likes to go to different shows that come to town. She really enjoyed that gift.

Comment

my dad seems to be difficult but if you listen and look around he's easy.

anything with the chicago cubs on it, he loves it.
                              i could get him photo albums he's a professional photographer. hobby turned professional, yet he went back to engineering.

he's re doing his garden and just built a garage storage shed.
                              i can get him yard stuff, gift card to lowe's to get plants and land scaping. blankets those are alway fun
                              robes, slippers he loves them would never admit to it.
                              wind chimes. gazing balls. spinning things to put in his garden.
                              digital photo frames.
                              these are a huge hit everywhere. and they are finally a little cheaper this year.
                              shirts, he likes land's end. anythign land's end he's there.
                              this year i think i will get him one of those indoor out door thermometers, those are popular. been around awhile, but he doesn't have one.
                              i'd also like to get him a wine cooler. one of those little indoor ones. him and his friend enjoy wine. wine glasses that are really nice. wine decantors
                              a bottle of wine, wine cork toppers...
                              music he loves music. jazz and such if there was a jazz concert i'd get him tickets, if doc seversen was in town, i'd get him tickets. for him and his friend. pot holders he needs them and doesn't know it.
                              something for his dog. like obedience lessons. lol fun water dish leash balls something

or i could bake and make him something, he loves cheese balls. kajun crackers, fudge,
                              he has a sweet tooth, but won't admit to it.

i cannot give him photos of the kids, because he's so anal over everyone else's work, being a photographer, he'd rather just take his own photos. fine. go for it.
                              but other older hard to shop for peeps may enjoy it, that being said wal mart has a ton of photo gift items you can add a photo too. mugs, mouse pads, deck of cards, t shirts blankets, tons of things. if i had access to it, i'd get a photo of one of his scenery ones and put that on a mug. that or his all time favorite photo of the monkey at the zoo. he lost the negetive to that. that was back in 86, thak fully digital is out now and he;s taken a photo of a photo of it. anyways.
                              there are lots of things, just look around and be more observant.
                              I just hold on tighter, to a hand that's stronger...he knows my every thought, he clears my weary heart, and hold's on tighter...

Comment

Working...
                              X