Nobody is sick, but I need your prayers and good thoughts please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nobody is sick, but I need your prayers and good thoughts please

We are over four years into our lawsuit. Well, we get to mediation and we are told that the contractor's insurance policy most likely does not cover what he did to our house. So, our lovely attorneys suggested we take offers of $25,000 - $75,000. This after years of running up legal bills of over $240,000! We had to borrow to pay any of it and we are out of places to borrow from.

They said it would be at least another $160,000 to take this to trial. So they were saving us that money by saying take this deal. They didn't look into the coverage until right before our mediation. They never said we couldn't collect a dime even if we won at trial. They suggested we take a consent to judgment wherein we go after the builder's insurance company and let the builder off the hook. However, if we can't prove coverage, we get nothing. We would also be letting the other parties off the hook - the architect who messed up the plans and the City who approved the foundation and framing. Our house is so bad, it would be cheaper to tear it down and start again - even if it can be fixed.

The offers the attorneys want us to take would leave us with $200,000 in legal debts and nothing in the bank. Our house would have to be sold as is to pay off the folks we borrowed from. After 37 years of marriage, we would have nothing. It would be impossible to recoup that money at our age. We wouldn't even be able to stay in our unfinished, falling apart house.

I know this is confusing, but I don't know what to do. We feel like our heads will explode. I know this has led to our illnesses in the last year. Stress is a killer. Thanks for letting me vent.

Re: Nobody is sick, but I need your prayers and good thoughts please

(((((((Smokey)))))). Sounds like the lawyers need to be sued for malpractice...at the least, that might force them to return money/drop further billing...and maybe damages that could ease the rest of the situation. I'm sure the last thing you want to do is involve more lawyers...but consider fighting fire with fire perhaps??? This is surely not in my 'balliwick' (dealing with lawyers) so this is just my impression. I can hardly imagine the feeling of defeat and depression this is causing you both. You definitely have my prayers.
    Mary Ann in Wisconsin
    "A man will be imprisoned in a room with a door that is unlocked and opens inwards as long as it does not occur to him to pull rather than push.

Ludwig Wittgenstein

Comment

i have never forgotten your house story. my heart breaks for you.
      many prayers for you
      I just hold on tighter, to a hand that's stronger...he knows my every thought, he clears my weary heart, and hold's on tighter...

Comment

You and your family will be in my thoughts!

Comment

Geez honey ((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))
          So sorry for what is happening. HATE when peeps get dragged thru for nothing. Thoughts / Prayers on the way

Comment

Maybe the attorney will take a HUGE pay cut?????? And maybe even refund some of your legal fees already paid????

Yea, and I guess those would be monkeys flying out of my butt!!

It all just seems SOOO unfair!

((((hugs))))
            "What fresh hell is this?" Dorothy Parker

Comment

Your prayers must be working. Just got off the phone with a good attorney in another town who said he would take the case if he can get an extension. So keep those fingers crossed and prayers coming! Hoping he can get that extension to have time to catch up on four years of litigation.

Comment

OK, I have to ask, because I sure don't remember, what happened with your house ?

Comment

I don't know your story, but it sounds like a contractor made a disaster of your home. I'm so sorry for what you are going through. I will keep you in my prayers. (((((smokey)))))
                  Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end.

Comment

I don't know what happened either, but prayers are coming your way.

Comment

(((Smokey))) What a heavy load to bear for you and your family! I don't know what to say, but T's&P's, sweetie!
                      I have kleptomania, but when it gets bad, I take something for it.

Comment

Gosh, I've been praying a lot lately...you most certainly will be in my prayers! I know the frustration of having a difficult time with lawyers - very longs story that I won't go into right now --I will pray that this will work out well for you. ((((HUG))))

Comment

Prayers are sent!
                          Have you made time to listen to the birds today........

Comment

I don't remember your problems with your home, either, but I am so sorry. (((hugs))) I certainly hope you can it resolved, prayers said for you.

Comment

Attorney said no. He had too much time to think about getting involved in our case. He said our best case was against our current attorney. Feel ill again.

Comment

Working...
                              X