Forced vacation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forced vacation

Our office has just been informed that we MUST take off the last week in December and preferably the last 2 weeks in December. I have 1.5 days vacation left this year. They want me to use up 4.5 days from 2009 to do this. I generally don't take this time off and I certainly don't want to use a weeks worth of vacation from next year.

Re: Forced vacation

That stinks ...you may need those days later, everything is nuts these days.

Comment

That's crazy! I agree with wish, everything is going nuts these days.

Comment

Wow. Can they do this legally?
        Lauren ~The ultimate tragedy is not the oppression and cruelty by the bad people but the silence over that by the good people. ~
        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I've heard of factory type places of employment doing that around here. Don't think I'd like anyone "forcing" me into using my vacation where I don't want to, but I can certainly see where it would solve a problem like I have in my office. We only have two full-timers (me and someone else) and a part-timer. The part-timer comes and goes when she pleases and I am the one who NEVER (since starting in 2002) have gotten off those weeks between Christmas and New Years. Why? Because the other full-timer who has been there 20+ years hogs up all the holiday time without even asking me if I'd like it off. Neither one of us has small children any more so it's not because of babysitting problems, etc. Thankfully, over the next few years, the way Christmas Eve/Day and NYE/NY Day falls, it's mostly over a weekend. But I think the time is coming where I'm going to have to stand up to her and say...........how about ROTATING these holidays. I started to take off the week leading up to Thanksgiving for fear she might hog that up too!!!!
          Last edited by krubinic; 11-24-2008, 10:19 PM.
          The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.

Faith is believing in advance what already makes sense in retrospect. O:-)

'Do not ask the Lord to Guide your Footsteps if you are not willing to move your Feet'

Comment

Unfortunately with the economy the way it is, we have no choice but to go along with what the company wants us to do.

Comment

Tomorrow I'm going to see if I can work extra to take those other 2 days off rather than use vacation time.

The company is trying to save money by basically having the office close for 2 weeks. How that saves money I don't know since they are still paying for our vacation time anyway.

Comment

(((((Rube))))))
                It could be a LOT worse, ya know?
                I know that UTMB here in Galveston has been laying people off right and left that have been there fore many many years.
                I hate that these large companies always pull this crap during the holidays!
                Have you made time to listen to the birds today........

Comment

I hope it works out Rub!

Comment

I'd rather give up vacation time than lose my job that's for sure. Hopefully we can negotiate something that works well for myself and the company.

Comment

Sorry to hear this Rube. I didn't know they could legally do that, but I guess you just have to do what they ask otherwise you could get cut like me and so many others

Comment

My DH's previous job did this and it saved them money because they could reduce expenses to heat and light their buildings. I'd definitely ask if some how you could make up the time.

Comment

Well, I can't make up the time - everyone would want to do that and they can't make an exception for me. However, I don't have to take off the days before the 25th, I will be working then. I get a lot of stuff caught up when everyone else is away. Hurray - I only lose 2.5 days from next year's vacation allotment

Comment

They are doing that to us too, 2 days before Christmas and the Friday after New Years Day. We get paid from Dec. 24 till Jan. 1.
                            We can take a no pay, no penality days, if we have no vacation days left or use vacation.
                            The Friday after New Years I plan to use a vacation day for 2009.
                            I am looking at a layoff for Jan. as most of the GM and others are shut down that month and also Dec. I am looking forward to it, 3-4 weeks off I need. Its been really stressful lately, but then again, I don't know.

Comment

Working...
                            X