Can you help me fix the toilet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you help me fix the toilet?

The stupid thing has been running for days! not running over, just running like it is constantly trying to fill up. I tried the handle shake and that didn't work....so it looks like I am going in guys! What do I look for when I remove the lid????

Re: Can you help me fix the toilet?

There is a little flap at the bottom of the tank. The flap needs to totally cover the drain below. Sometimes it shift, wears out or the chain that lifts it breaks. I wear rubber gloves and reach in and move it around when the handle jiggle doesn't work. If the parts are broken or damaged they sell replacements parts at Home Depot and Lowes.

Comment

You might try cutting and pasting these two links: first one says briefly how a toilet works, second one details troubleshooting. Good luck, tearose. Part of the repair could depend on the age of the toilet. If it's quite old, the mechanisms that can go wrong are a bit deferent then a more modern ones.

http://www.acmehowto.com/howto/homemaintenance/plumbing/toilet/overview.php

http://www.acmehowto.com/howto/homemaintenance/plumbing/diagnostic/diagtoilet.php
      Mary Ann in Wisconsin
      "A man will be imprisoned in a room with a door that is unlocked and opens inwards as long as it does not occur to him to pull rather than push.

Ludwig Wittgenstein

Comment

Sounds like a faulty flap to me I'm the 'toilet fix-it person' in this house. Not that I'm thrilled about it LOL!
        A balanced diet is a cookie in both hands

Comment

Your toilet "innards" may need to be changed out. Look to see if water is constantly running from the little black tubing going down into the refill tube (tall tube in middle of tank)
          If the flapper was faulty, it could automatically flush, or at the very least, it would be stopping and starting.

Comment

Originally posted by MudderBear View Post
            Sounds like a faulty flap to me I'm the 'toilet fix-it person' in this house. Not that I'm thrilled about it LOL!
            Me too Mudder!!! It's either fix it yourself or listen to HIM complain about doing it and putting it off forever. Then, when I fix it, complains because I didn't wait for him to do it!! MEN!!!

Wal-Mart or any place like Lowes, Home Depot...etc. has a package to replace the "innards" in the tank, and easy instructions on the back of the package.
            "Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent." ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Or have a plumber on call like I do . j/k

Comment

Our plumber had to come several times for our almost brand new toilet. Don't let a few ppl go in there and tinker around as it's going to make it worse. Stick to one person who knows how to handle the flap thingy and if not, call your plumber.
                I don't want buns of steel. I want buns of cinnamon !!!

Comment

Ok, thank you. it looks like I will have to replace the inards. Bugger.

Comment

I had the same problem and went to the hardware store. A woman came up and asked if she could help me and I said, "I need to replace the thing that goes over the thing so the toilet doesn't sound like it's running all the time."

She said, "I know exactly what you're talking about," and took me right to what I needed... the flappy thing... and I replaced it easily.

I often wonder what might have happened if a guy had waited on me??
                    "What fresh hell is this?" Dorothy Parker

Comment

DH is good at that, we moved so much and every toilet we ever owned had a problem sometime or another, in fact we always keep a new toilet part kit in the garage at all times in case we have to fix it. Flappers, balls & seals whatever but now you just buy the whole kit and he does it. Toilets act up after the hardware stores close. Toilets are his domain and glad he knows, my g/f spent a fortune with her toilets getting the plummer out. We like to keep them flushing at all times. LOL

Comment

Yes the flap and real easy to fix. It's about the only thing I can fix so if I can you can. I would get it changed right away otherwise you're going to end up with a large water bill.

Comment

Ugh...the problem is that I have to do it myself. The divorce seemed like a good idea at the time!!

Oh, man I am not good at this kind of stuff. It absolutly terrifies me.

Comment

Another area you might want to check is the float. Sometimes it will not stop the flow of water and the water spills over into the overflow tube. To fix that, screw in the float or bend it a bit.

Comment

Tearose, I am the fix it mom in our house, even with dh here, and I have found the guys at my local home depot are Fabulous. Sometimes, it takes me a little longer to explain myself because I don't know the right lingo, but they have lots of pics and displays that help out in the translation.

Oh, and don't be afraid! You would be amazed at how satisfying it feels to accomplish this kind of stuff on your own.

dragun

Comment

Working...
                              X