Social worker v. Ph.d for Anger issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Social worker v. Ph.d for Anger issues

Remember when I read the (Anger management) books? They didn't help me at all.

So I want to start seeing someone - my insurance covers most of it, so it can't hurt - and I have both social workers and ph.ds in my building and right on my block - any idea if one is "better" than anotehr ?

Thanks
    I don't want buns of steel. I want buns of cinnamon !!!

Re: Social worker v. Ph.d for Anger issues

How appropriate either one is depends on what their area of expertise and/or interest is. And what do the PhD's have their PhD's in? Psychology? Counseling? A PhD could also be a social worker. Call and talk to a few of them, tell them what you want to accomplish with counseling and see how they react. Social workers usually work more with families or groups but not always.

Comment

i do not think it's as simple as that.

i think you should set up an appointment with each and meet them. get to know ya sorta thing. it's not as simple as picking someone through a list of names. this is the person you have to feel comfortable with, you'll be telling them things that no one else knows.
      you have to be able to open up to this person 100%

i don't care what the letters are after their name, or before their name, you didn't pick your best friend that way.
      Here, this is sally, you'll like her be her best friend regardless.

that's just insane. (no pun intended)
      I just hold on tighter, to a hand that's stronger...he knows my every thought, he clears my weary heart, and hold's on tighter...

Comment

Have you considered getting a referal / recommendation from your primary care doc ? I think I would start there. I don't have a clue what would be better. I certainly would ask what subject there Ph.d. is in ?

Comment

Oh. It's certainly more complicated then picking someone close by.

Comment

You definitely have to have some sort of rapport with this person. If you don't like them, they are not going to be able to help you.

Comment

I know some will disagree with me....and that's okay. However, I think a licensed social worker specializing in the field is a good choice. My reasoning is because I feel like Dr's (a majority of them)always want to fix things with medication and social workers tend to do more listening and try to get to the root of your anger. On that note, I should admit I am a social worker However, I don't specialize in that field.
              I agree with everyone though on no matter which one you go to..finding one you feel comfortable with.

Comment

A PhD couldn't prescribe meds anyhow... altho they CAN send you to your doctor with a suggestion of meds.

I'm w/ the others who say meet w/ them both and see who you feel more comfy talking to.
                "What fresh hell is this?" Dorothy Parker

Comment

A psychiatrist can prescribe meds, besides talking to you , counseling etc.

Comment

Psychiatrists don't do counseling, only medication management. A psychologist will do counseling, but not prescribe medications. Most psychologists now need a PhD to get a license as a psychologist (at least in Pennsylvania anyway).
                    I agree that at PhD cannot prescribe meds. Either a social worker or a PhD can recommend medication, but not prescribe it. Even their recommendations aren't a "given" as that is not their specialty.

Comment

My daughter is working on her PhD in School Psychology right now. She is in her second year of a 5 year doctoral program straight out of four years of undergrad college in Psychology. This past summer she picked up her MEd (Masters of Education). Comprehensively, her education will help prepare her to conduct independent research studies, consultations, assessments (such as the Rorschach - ink blot, IQ tests and leading to diagnoses/plans). She could also have her own practice if she chooses to do so, but she would have to pass her state or national board requirements to obtain a license to do so.

I am only telling you all of this to help give you somewhat of an idea of the process a professional must go through to earn their PhD. I am not saying a social worker isn't as good or worthwhile, it's just a different path of education and requirements. Just because a person has a PhD as opposed to a social worker who doesn't, isn't necessarily a guarantee that professional will be a good listener or therapist. Therefore, I vote for the suggestion that you do your own research and/or have a consultation with the professionals to see who you feel most comfortable with after you meet with them. Make sure they are FREE consultations too beforehand!!!!

Like a lot of others have said here, a psychologist is not able to prescribe medications such as a psychiatrist who actually had to go through at least four years of medical school. There is also a degree out there called a PsyD, which is a type of doctoral program but without having done all the research a PhD goes through. There are also clinical psychologists and counseling psychologists. Clinical psychology deals more with mental illnesses and counseling/therapy psychologists can do anything from marriage and family to school psychology.

Hope all my babbling helps in some small way!!!!
                      The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.

Faith is believing in advance what already makes sense in retrospect. O:-)

'Do not ask the Lord to Guide your Footsteps if you are not willing to move your Feet'

Comment

If it came down to one or the other feeling you need to be on some sort of medication(not saying medication is the answer) Only the one with the Phd will be able to prescribe. One of my sons had a anger management problem and we saw a social worker. I really liked her a lot

Comment

Many years ago I was dealing with some issues and needed some one to help me sort out my life. I went to a Physchologist and liked him very much. He felt that I needed medication in addition to counseling and sent me to a Physchiatrist. So I saw both for a few months and they really helped me over a rough time.

Comment

Again, as stated previously, a PhD cannot prescribe medications. Only a medical doctor can prescribe meds, such as a family doctor or psychiatrist.

Comment

thank you, everyone, for sharing. i really appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
                              X