Paula's Best deep fried ham

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paula's Best deep fried ham

Anyone see that show? Paula deep fried a ham. I heard about turkeys but not ham, wonder about that. It was a fresh ham, I usually get spirial cut ham, know that will not work, plus I can't imagine a fried ham. I am having ham for Christmas but will do it in the oven, Paula brined it. Wonder if I could brine with a spiral cut.

Re: Paula's Best deep fried ham

Fresh ham is plain pork - not cured pork which is what is more commonly known as ham. In other words, she deep fried a huge pork roast.

Comment

Is there anything Paula doesn't deep fry

Comment

I would not think brining a spiral cut ham would be a good idea. I have brined fresh pork like pork chops, loins, etc.

Comment

she used a piece of fresh pork..............not cooked or cured.

the spiral ham you buy is already cured and cooked and you just reheat it. You wouldn't do any good trying to brine a piece of cooked ham.

Comment

Originally posted by Sabine View Post
            Is there anything Paula doesn't deep fry
            My sentiments exactly.

Comment

Ingredients
              Brine:
              1 gallon water
              1 gallon apple cider
              1 cup dark brown sugar
              1 cup kosher salt
              2 cinnamon sticks
              4 cloves
              10 pound uncooked ham
              Peanut oil, for frying, about 5 gallons
              Glaze:
              3 cups pineapple juice
              1 (8-ounce) can crushed pineapple with juice
              1/2 cup Dijon mustard
              1 cup dark brown sugar
              1/2 cup honey
              Directions
              In a large plastic tub, place all of the brine ingredients and stir until dissolved. Place the ham in the brine and refrigerate overnight. The following day, take the ham out of the brine and dry well.

Fill your turkey fryer with the peanut oil. Heat the oil to 375 degrees F. *Cook's Note: For a larger ham, use less oil as the larger the ham, the more liquid displacement there will be.

Place the ham carefully inside the fryer. There is a lot of moisture in the ham, the oil will bubble up intensely, so be careful and lower it very slowly. Cook for 7 1/2 minutes per pound. The ham will be cooked when it is 160 degrees F. inside. Check it with an instant-read thermometer to make sure it is cooked.

Remove the ham carefully letting it cool off and drain of excess oil for about 10 to 15 minutes.

Glaze:
              Combine all the ingredients in a medium saucepan on low heat and let reduce until a syrupy consistency.

Let the glaze cool slightly and then pour it over the deep fried ham. Serve any extra glaze on the side at the table.

Comment

I actually caught her program yesterday. Who's LeeAnn? ..... she didn't appear to be very "bright"..oops Deep frying a ham .... I don't think so! And in her kitchen...OMG I don't know about everyone else...... but, I'm "OVER Paula"!

Comment

With all of Paula's deep frying, I am just plain worried about her dropping dead from a heart attack. That woman will deep fry anything.

dragun

Comment

I know! It does make you wonder about Paula's health and such. With all her money, I hope she is getting regular checkups, etc. I believe she smokes a lot too which is scarey. I know she's happy and is having the time of her life, but you do have to wonder how cautious she's being with her health.

In regards to the same subject, I recently saw Mario Batali on one of the morning shows around Thanksgiving and he looks like he's lost a bit of weight. Has anyone else seen him recently and thought this?
                    The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.

Faith is believing in advance what already makes sense in retrospect. O:-)

'Do not ask the Lord to Guide your Footsteps if you are not willing to move your Feet'

Comment

Originally posted by dragun6 View Post
                      With all of Paula's deep frying, I am just plain worried about her dropping dead from a heart attack. That woman will deep fry anything.

dragun
                      She was on Larry King the other night and she said she just had a checkup--she said her health is great and her cholesterol is 130 (!!!!!)--alot better than mine!
                      Nommie

Thought for the day: Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away!

Comment

Ha! Maybe she's doing Atkins or something???? You know, eating fat gives you low cholesterol on that diet.
                        The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.

Faith is believing in advance what already makes sense in retrospect. O:-)

'Do not ask the Lord to Guide your Footsteps if you are not willing to move your Feet'

Comment

Working...
                        X