Cough Medicine & Children

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cough Medicine & Children

Grandkids have some down with a cough. Gave them Robitussin last night and one immediately ran and got a drink of water to get rid of the taste. I've always thought you shouldn't drink after taking cough syrup - that it would wash away the benefits of coating the throat. What do you guys do? You've had kids since I have.

Re: Cough Medicine & Children

Considering the way the stuff tastes, I'd be running for a drink too.

Have you thought about putting a humidifier with a bit of Vicks in their bedroom at night? Our houses get so dry in winter, because of central air. It doesn't seem to matter if the furnace has a humidifier on it or not. Everyone seems to end up with a dry cough.
    Communicate. It can't make things any worse!

Comment

How old are they (I have a 10 & 11 y/o)

A warm / steam humidifier is a great idea. It works wonders for coughs at night. Also if you can prop their heads up a bit while they sleep.

As far as cough suppressants are concerned, the ingredient that controls the cough is what makes it taste bad. They attempt to cover up the bad taste w/ flavorings.
      I understand what you are asking BUT I think that it's whatever that ingredient is (that stops coughing), once it's in your system it calms the cough systemically.

I have yet to find a good tasting one.

Comment

I only give my kids delsym. the orange flavor seems to be ok with them.

dragun

Comment

I always had them plug their nose while taking the cough meds and then we'd have a tic tac breath mint ready to go into their mouths. Once they get used to holding their nose shut, they'll learn how to take the medicine straight down, so it doesn't even touch their tongue, therefore, no taste!

I swear by the vick's vapor rub CREAM. It has to be the cream, not the stuff that's sticky like salve. This comes in a white tube. It works wonders.

Comment

Delsum is a great cough suppressant, tastes good. I use the orange colored original stuff but I hear there is a grape flavor now. It's a little pricey but not much considering it's for 12 hrs. An it works in the system not by the direct application.

Expectorants would actually benefit from the extra water as they work to loosen mucus.

For a sore throat, if the kids can learn to use it, Cloraseptic (orange color tastes better than green) is a pain reducing spray to the back of the throat. I think the directions are hold for 15 sec or so and split out. The numbing has started by then. I figure any portion of 15 sec is good and rinsing after---well, it's their sore throat now, isn't it? Oh, well!

We had some NASTY liq med when I was a kid and sick. Both Sis and I had pony tails. Yup, you guessed it, the pony tail was yanked back for a never-failed way to shove it down into a now open throat!
            EEEwwww!
            Mary Ann in Wisconsin
            "A man will be imprisoned in a room with a door that is unlocked and opens inwards as long as it does not occur to him to pull rather than push.

Ludwig Wittgenstein

Comment

My Mom has a cough all the time and I mixed some fresh lemon and honey together. I gave her a tablespoon and it stops it. She has emphesema(sp)
              Have you made time to listen to the birds today........

Comment

Thanks for all the great suggestions.

Comment

Working...
                X