Less fuss for Christmas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Less fuss for Christmas

Only 3 of us, now not baking of cookies that DH doesn't need to eat, having ham for dinner and cold salads, less is more, we really need to cut down due to health problems. Maybe a pie DH hates pie so not going into too much for the holiday. I really did make too much the other yrs. and now I feel less is more. Anyone else cutting down with the holiday meal? Really how much can you eat?? It's one day and how much can you do? Do we really need all the cookies cakes & pies??? Ham /turkey and all the fixings??? It's fun do we really need this?Then eatting leftovers forever or freezing them.

Re: Less fuss for Christmas

Less here too ...just me and hubby since we will no longer be sharing holidays with family will make goodie tins for a few friends and neighbors thats it tho. menu is easier to make just for us!

Comment

Definitely less here, can't get in the spirit...As for the holiday meal, I think DD2 is cooking the meal this weekend--if not, probably order pizza! At my parents, definitely less--we are all eating less--I definitely am cooking less. Cooked alot at Thanksgiving and did myself in.
      Nommie

Thought for the day: Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away!

Comment

We never went all-out anyway. Our Christmas meal is more like a regular meal, but different meats supstituted, and maybe one dessert. My family has too many food issues...hypoglycemia and food allergies.... so my choices are limited anyway.

Comment

Im not doing much either.
          No one will be here for Christmas.
          Just me, new pup and my Sister (maybe?)
          Have you made time to listen to the birds today........

Comment

Not doing anything for Christmas this year. Last year Patrick's ex had Christmas dinner at her house. Everyone wanted me to do it, said it wouldn't cost anything because everyone would bring something, but it still costs a lot. I did Easter last year and it cost me over 200 bucks. I would rather do Easter.
            I think it will only be my son and me and Patrick. Maybe my daughter and her boyfriend, but usually she is with his family. They did go home with me for Thanksgiving this year and it was very nice.
            Not putting up a tree, have nothing to put under it! I got cut to 15 hours a week and only bring home a 100 bucks a week and was just court ordered to pay my ex HALF of it! The other half goes to pay storage and leaves nothing to live on.
            I have arthritis all over and Fibromyalgia causing me pain all over.Sometimes I can barely walk. It is impossible for me to get another job right now due to my health and needing my health insurance right now.
            I am going to go to court to get my son to come live here. He is doing terrible at his dads and will be lucky to pass 11th grade since he has missed so much school!
            I suppose I will just make a nice dinner for the three of us and his momma. It will be just as nice. Maybe it will be cold and we can have a fire.
            Had a yard sale this past weekend and it was 31 and rainy and windy and It just about killed me. ( people had stuff there and only 3 of us to put it out and in and run it all day, and on Sat. it was only Patrick and me.) Going to do it again next weekend since the weather hampered our business and it wasn't too good. I put an ad with pics up on Ocala for sale and craig's list with pictures too! Will do it again next weekend. you can see my ad if you go to Ocala florida, garage sales and look on Dec. 13th. There was a LOT of stuff!
            Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas!

Comment

What amazes me is how we did so much for Christmas when the kids were smaller and time was so precious! I shopped, wrapped, baked, decorated, cooked, etc. etc. etc... adn now that the kids are grown and gone, I can't believe I managed to DO all I did every year!!

It'll just be babe and me this year (and Peaches, of course). We'll enjoy a good meal and each other... I've done minimal baking, shopping, decorating!
              "What fresh hell is this?" Dorothy Parker

Comment

We are doing the same this year we did last year. Only difference will be , I hosted christmas dinner last year, because my daughter was going through radiation treatments, this year she is hosting. Same people, same food, different location. LOL My 2 year old grandson will be the center of attention and I am looking forward to having a good time. December 28 SO's grandsons are coming in for 4 days, and we will have our christmas with them.

Comment

Originally posted by luvs2eat View Post
                  What amazes me is how we did so much for Christmas when the kids were smaller and time was so precious! I shopped, wrapped, baked, decorated, cooked, etc. etc. etc... adn now that the kids are grown and gone, I can't believe I managed to DO all I did every year!!

It'll just be babe and me this year (and Peaches, of course). We'll enjoy a good meal and each other... I've done minimal baking, shopping, decorating!

I was going to say the same thing, luvs. When I have grandkids I'll "do more" again but still keep it low-key. I'm not putting up a tree but will have a few simple decorations about. Something the dogs can't get to! As for this year, we will probably have a simple dinner but a few special "finger foods" on Christmas eve in place of a meal. It's just the two of us here, too. mdt333, I have Fibro, too and am so tired this week. I could just crawl under a quilt and snore for days.

Comment

Originally posted by MaryJo View Post
                    I was going to say the same thing, luvs. When I have grandkids I'll "do more" again but still keep it low-key. I'm not putting up a tree but will have a few simple decorations about. Something the dogs can't get to! As for this year, we will probably have a simple dinner but a few special "finger foods" on Christmas eve in place of a meal. It's just the two of us here, too. mdt333, I have Fibro, too and am so tired this week. I could just crawl under a quilt and snore for days.
                    I am tired all the time too! It's all I can do to stay awake! yesterday I went to take a nap at 4pm until 5:30 and didn't wake up til 8 pm! I fall asleep every night on the couch struggling to stay awake and watch TV.
                    I think I am going to put a few lights up on a divider screen we have in the living room and on the fire place mantel. I have a few ornaments my mom gave me over the holiday when I went home, I will just hang them on the screen. That will be our tree. I just don't have the strength to get the tree out of the shed and put it up.
                    I want to do some baking, but there is no one here to eat it, Lord knows we don't need it!

Comment

Originally posted by TexAnn View Post
                      Im not doing much either.
                      No one will be here for Christmas.
                      Just me, new pup and my Sister (maybe?)
                      Sis, wish I was closer and I would be with you.
                      Nommie

Thought for the day: Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away!

Comment

Minimal shopping, baking and decorating here too.
                        Minimal cooking for Christmas Dinner as well.
                        Having Christmas breakfast/brunch at DD#1's this year for first time not being at my house.
                        I am almost relieved about that.
                        On Christmas Eve we're doing easy appetizer & munchie type things, not even sure of the menu just yet - just know that whatever it is - it'll be easy.

Thanksgiving was wayyyyyyy too stressful.
                        Hoping Christmas won't be.

As others said - I'll do more when I have grandchildren.....hopefully.......some day........

Comment

We are going to ds and dil's Sunday the 21st and will celebrate Christmas with my side of the family then. Last year we started a new tradition and everyone loved it. We had baked potato soup, chili, sub type sandwiches and dessert. That is what we are doing again this year. DD makes the potato soup, dil makes the chili, I make the sandwiches and a dessert, my ex's dw usually brings dessert. Not a lot of work or expense for any of us.

Christmas day dh's children and their families come to our house. We will have mostaccioli, meatballs, little smokies, deviled eggs, salad, pineapple casserole, relish tray, rye bread and dill dip, chips and dip and dessert. They bring nothing so I will furnish and prepare everything.

Comment

we usually go out for dinner on christmas eve..my dh barbeque's on christmas..i'll bake a batch of cookies..but that's it..

Comment

Nothing going on here.....just DH and me and DS and wife....we'll go to their house for Christmas Eve night and then driving to a lake a couple of hours north of here and have Christmas dinner at the lodge there. That's what we did Tgiving and it was very nice. No work getting ready and no dirty dishes or tempting leftovers. I think I did my share of cooking and working my *ss off to feed huge family gatherings for many years with very little help, either with the work or expenses. So now I'm 'retired.' If we had little ones it would be different but until then, no point. Like many of you who posted above, we've all got food 'issues' that limit what we can/should/will eat anyhow. I know...bah humbug!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X