Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has Anyone Ever Made Mayonaise?(mustard too?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has Anyone Ever Made Mayonaise?(mustard too?)

I am trying to find a good recipe for mayonnaise. I only really like Hellman's and Dukes but at 5 bucks a jar, I need to learn to make my own. I do get it on sale for 2 for 5 and stock up, but the prices are ridiculous!
    I don't have a food processor, well, I think I have a mini one here. But I do have a mixer if I can make it with that.
    Let me know. Thanks. Michelle

Re: Has Anyone Ever Made Mayonaise?(mustard too?)

I've made mayo many times... it's really just egg yolks and oil... any online recipe will be good. I've even done it w/ a wisk and no mixer... ya need good arm muscles for that!
    "What fresh hell is this?" Dorothy Parker

Comment

I'm not comfortable eating raw egg. Is there any kind of recipe that doesn't have the raw egg in it?

Comment

I have made it (mayo) but wasnt impressed with it at all....
        Have you made time to listen to the birds today........

Comment

I have never done it, but I am wondering by the time you buy all the ingredients to make it, is it really much cheaper ?

Comment

EGGLESS MAYONNAISE

3/4 c. water
            1/4 c. cider vinegar
            1 1/2 tbsp. sugar
            1 1/2 tsp. salt
            1/4 tsp. dry mustard
            1 c. powdered milk
            2 c. oil

Combine all but oil in blender, then add oil slowly while blender continues to run.

EGGLESS SOY MAYONNAISE

1 c. rich soy milk
            4 tsp. honey or rice syrup
            1 to 1 1/2 c. safflower oil
            1/4 c. lemon juice
            1/2 tsp. sea salt
            1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper

Blend first 2 ingredients on a low speed, gradually adding oil until it whips up and no longer agitates. Scoop into a bowl and whip in (with a fork or whisk) the next two ingredients, adding gradually. Mixture will stiffen. Add last two ingredients. Mix well and chill. Serve just like mayonnaise.

Comment

Thanks Rube, But I think I want one with the eggs in it. I eat raw eggs all the time in Caesar dressing and am still alive . I want it to taste like mayo. If I can get a basic recipe I can tweak it until it tastes like I want it to. I know it will take a while just like the Rhubarb pie.(finally found out the key is, it HAS to be fresh, not frozen rhubarb or your sugar witl crystalize

Comment

I make mine with eggs as well and have never had a problem

To do a Real Mayonnaise:

Have everything at room temperature. To the bowl of your food processor, with the steel blade at ready, add:

2 egg yolks (use egg beaters for a palatable alternative)
                1 whole egg
                1 Tbl. French style mustard
                grind of black pepper, or bit of white or red
                pinch of salt
                juice of lemon

Turn on food processor, and let run for 10-15 seconds. Then, while still running, dribble in:

2 cups oil.

Use corn, peanut or other oil. For the distinctive taste, some or all of the oil can be olive. Be careful though, in a Mayonnaise made with all olive oil, if the oil is the least bit heavy the Mayonnaise will be a heavy thing indeed.

When all the oil has been added, shut off the machine and taste the Mayonnaise. You might want to add a bit more lemon juice or salt. This is also the time to add a bit of Tarragon, or a few chives, maybe a tiny touch of a fine curry powder, or anything else that might give it a distinctive flair. Whirl it few more seconds, and scrape into a stainless steel or glass bowl. Enjoy fresh and warm, or chill well before using.

Comment

Your recipe using the Eggbeaters would certainly calm those who don't want to use raw egg yolks. I've never had a prob. w/ raw eggs, altho I do know you only have to get salmonella ONCE from raw eggs to never use them again!!!

My sister, who lives in France, used to make it all the time... they didn't have jarred mayo then. She taught me... it's not hard at all and tastes good!
                  "What fresh hell is this?" Dorothy Parker

Comment

i am thinking the same as sabine.
                    after you buy all the stuff and put all that time into it, just buy it.
                    if you are buying bulk ask the store for a discount, many times they will do that for you, if it is a buld purchase.

there is nothing to beat a blue plate mayo or a hellmann's.
                    but i feel that a home made recipe will not be the same.
                    I just hold on tighter, to a hand that's stronger...he knows my every thought, he clears my weary heart, and hold's on tighter...

Comment

I read this thread before I left the house to go to the grocery store. So I checked on the price of Hellman's Mayo at my store. The 15 oz jar is $ 2.26 and the 30 oz jar is $3.44. I don't think that you could make it yourself for that price, considering the price of eggs and oil. I have never had homemade mayo, so I don't know if it really tastes better or not. But it's work if you don't have a food processor. In my opinion just not worth it, but that's just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Sabine View Post
                        I read this thread before I left the house to go to the grocery store. So I checked on the price of Hellman's Mayo at my store. The 15 oz jar is $ 2.26 and the 30 oz jar is $3.44. I don't think that you could make it yourself for that price, considering the price of eggs and oil. I have never had homemade mayo, so I don't know if it really tastes better or not. But it's work if you don't have a food processor. In my opinion just not worth it, but that's just my opinion.
                        :Thanks Rube, I think I will try that.
                        Sabine: I work at a grocery store and looked at the price a couple of days ago and Hellman's was: $4.99! I don't know where you are, but I suppose things are more expensive here. I do get it alot on sale for 2 jars for 5 and I stock up then, same for Heinz catsup and Plochmans mustard, the only one I really like. Been eating Plochman's since I was a little girl.

Comment

A quart jar here is over 5.00....I forget just what it is exactly.

Comment

Originally posted by mdt333 View Post
                            :Thanks Rube, I think I will try that.
                            Sabine: I work at a grocery store and looked at the price a couple of days ago and Hellman's was: $4.99! I don't know where you are, but I suppose things are more expensive here. I do get it alot on sale for 2 jars for 5 and I stock up then, same for Heinz catsup and Plochmans mustard, the only one I really like. Been eating Plochman's since I was a little girl.
                            I wrote it down because I knew that I was going to post on it. I live right outside of San Antonio , Texas, a very large city, one of the largest city in this country. The store I shop at is a big chain store here in Texas and in Mexico. It's called HEB, you can google their web site, should you have that desire. I guess prices are cheaper here then were you are. I buy only Hellman's, and they now have an olive oil flavored mayo, I love it, and it's the same price as the regular Hellman's mayo. Have you checked Sam's or Costco ? You may be able to get it cheaper there, by buying bulk.

Comment

Working...
                            X