How to keep A LOT of beer cold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to keep A LOT of beer cold

We're having a huge picnic at the end of the summer and I'm wondering how to keep cases of beer cold... like enough for 100+ people. We don't want a keg as babe of a DH doesn't like draft beer as well as canned/bottled ... so what do I do w/ a couple hundred cans of beer/soda? I was thinkin' a small kid's pool w/ lots of ice under a cover or out of the sun somehow.

Plus... I'll probably get a whole bunch of good boxed wine (is that an oxymoron?? haha). How do I keep THAT cold? I can't immerse it in ice water.

Any and all ideas really welcomed!!!
    "What fresh hell is this?" Dorothy Parker

Keeping Beer Cold

The Pool Idea Would Work, But You Don't Have To Keep It All Cold At Once--you Can Keep On Restocking The Pool Or Whatever You Decided To Keep The Beer In. It Only Takes 9 Minutes To Chill Down A Case Of Beer When You Put It In A Cooler With Ice.
    SHEL

Comment

Bathtub, that's what came to my mind. Rereading your message I see the word "Picnic". I think a small kiddie pool is a great idea, metal washtubs is another way to keep stuff cold. I don't have a clue as far as the wine is concerned.

Comment

Originally posted by luvs2eat
        I was thinkin' a small kid's pool w/ lots of ice under a cover or out of the sun somehow.

Plus... I'll probably get a whole bunch of good boxed wine (is that an oxymoron?? haha). How do I keep THAT cold? I can't immerse it in ice water.

Any and all ideas really welcomed!!!
        The kiddy pool would be your best bet for the beer. Lots & lots of ice.

Can't help you on the "box wine" - my tummy just turned.

Comment

bathtub filled with ice.. works like a charm trust me!
          Life is all about a$$; you're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, trying to get a piece of it, behaving like one, or you live with one.

Comment

For the boxed wine, we take it out of the box and just plop the bag onto the ice.

As for the beer, get some galvanized tubs either from a farm and tractor store or rent them from a rental store. The metal will keep everything icy cold

Comment

Sounds like good suggestions. When and where? What time shall I arrive?

Comment

Okay, I'm guessing it is only the white and/or rose wine that you want to keep cold. Make sure it is REALLY cold to begin with. Then I would pack it in coolers with lots of those freezer packs. You could set the openned boxes in a pan of ice--those cardboard containers shouldn't disintegrate too terribly quickly.
                Communicate. It can't make things any worse!

Comment

Ice down the guest's and they'll be clamoring for hot beer.

Comment

I've never heard of "boxed wine". What is that? Is it a brand of wine? Like in milk containers?
                    "If you're given a choice between money and sex appeal, take the money. As you get older, the money will become your sex appeal."~Katharine Hepburn

Comment

Put it in a canoe or aluminum skiff. I have seen both done and it worked out fine. They were easy to transport also.

Comment

Wow... what a good idea about the canoe. We went to a picnic once where they had a aluminum-lined COFFIN for the beer! It was awesome!

Boxed wine is wine that comes in a pouch inside a box. You pull the little spigot out and you can sit the box in your fridge or on the counter. They're sort of a bad joke if you're talking about good wine, but I've had some that aren't half bad.
                        "What fresh hell is this?" Dorothy Parker

Comment

Check at the hardware for a big old metal wash tub too or even a brand new trash can works. We used to have a giant camp cooler that would ice down much. What ever you use to put it out in you can restock. Also borrow lots of ice chest from friends and ice down the beer and wine.

Comment

We use new trash cans at Kansas Speedway. Beer in first, then lots of ice and sprinkle salt over the ice, it won't melt as fast.

Boxed wine? I love them especially when you have a crowd. Sorry, can't help ya out with how to keep them chilled.

Comment

We do something similar to what MrsMo does. Keeps them nice and cold!
                              "There's no place like home..."

Comment

Working...
                              X