Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

mary, mary quite contrary...how does your garden grow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mary, mary quite contrary...how does your garden grow?

Tell us about your garden!

We're square foot garden newbies....and are anxiously awaiting our crop.
    What did you plant this year? What are your gardening tricks?
    What's your favorite tomato?

This year is the year that I WILL foil the deer. I've tried to garden evey summer and spend weeks preparing garden beds and planting stuff... only to have the deer act as tho it's a salad bar! Then they come right up to my door and eat all the blossoms off my potted flowers!!

This year, babe of a DH made me a 2-tiered garden box and put it inside an old dog kennel/run that he took apart and refashioned into a huge cage. Then he ran a soaking hose all thru the roof so we have rain whenever we need it.

I have sugar snap peas, pole beans, 3 kinds of lettuce, yellow and green peppers, heirloom cucumbers, zucchini. In pots I have rosemary, basil, flat parsley, curley parsley, chives, sage, thyme. And in 2 upside down hanging planters... (Maybe I can photobucket them, they're so neat) I have cherry tomatoes and big tomatoes. I can't WAIT for harvest time!!
    Last edited by luvs2eat; 06-05-2006, 02:38 PM.
    "What fresh hell is this?" Dorothy Parker

Comment

We have 30 tomato plants, 5 pepper plants and 3 cucumber plants. Should have tomatoes by the 4th of July.

Favorite tomato? Cherokee Purple and Black Krim.

Comment

My garden is about an acre this year..HUGE! I have 5 types of squash, cucumbers, string beans, butter beans, cantalopes, corn, and 25 tomato plants. Last year I had a problem with the tomatos getting dark spots on the bottoms and rotting, and I read that it was due to a lack of calcuim. So this year I put down a ton of calcium around them and it killed all of the plants about a week after I planted them! So I had to get more, re-work the soil, and replant. Everything is doing fine so far. Had to irrigate once already due to the lack of rain.

Comment

Luvs, I've heard about upsidedown buckets for tomatoes. Do you have much stem breakage? It sounds like fun!

Comment

Mrs. Mo-Oh, heirlooms! I'm not that advanced : )
            I plant tomatoes that my father planted, just because that's what I'm used to, and because I'm boring!

Comment

Cottun,
              Have you tried regulating the amount of water you're giving your toms?
              I know irregular water amounts also cause blossom end rot.
              Good luck with yours this year, you've got a lot to garden!

Comment

So far we have 22 pepper plants--eight sweet banana, four green, four red, four yellow. I still have to plant the tomatoes--i can't remember the name but they are SO good. I'm also wanting to plant grape tomatoes. I am hooked on those things!
                I also have strawberries and raspberries.

Comment

Thanks for the advice Donna. I am pretty much new to growing tomatos on my own. Hubby always knew the solution to any problem, and now I have to rely on books and advice from other gardeners to get me thru. It was dry last year but I watered them regularly. Will see what happens this year.

Comment

Hi Maddison,
                    My dad was from Erie, and I grew up a little south of there.
                    I'd love to hear what kind of tomatoes you grow. Grape toms would work great in the buckets like luvs2eat plants. Do your raspberries produce well?

Comment

This year is a tad bit different for me. The gardens are taking forever to grow but they are finally getting there and about a month behind schedule. I only decided to grow tomatoes, garlic, horseradish, parsley, dill, sage and oregano. Basil and chives did not grow.

I also have perennials galore. They are doing much better now that the rain stopped and the sun has been out.

New arrivals:

Purple Mallow
                      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v84/fatkat/000_0544.jpg
                      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v84/fatkat/000_0543.jpg

Japanese Iris that should have been out last month
                      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v84/fatkat/000_0542.jpg

Lupines ALMOST in full bloom
                      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v84/fatkat/000_0541.jpg

Comment

fatkat, the lupines....how do you pronounce that? They are beautiful.

Comment

Donna, I live south of Maddison. Where did you live?

Luv, they are pronounced LU-PEEN, thank you. There are white ones too.

Comment

Did your Angel Trumpet ever come up?

Comment

Fatkat, I have 3 gigantic pots of chives on my deck that come back year after year. bigger and better. I don't do anything special for them, but they are gorgeous. They are one of my favorite perennials when they are in bloom. I also have a large horseradish patch that comes back every year. I grow all of my herbs in pots on my deck. My DH built several steps to accomodate all of the pots. The only thing I don't have luck with is basil. My family and friends grow so much of it they pull it out like weeds.

Comment

Working...
                              X