Cat Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cat Question

I have a long-thicker haired cat. His fur gets matted. I am taking him to the groomer tomorrow. I think he is really hot now that it is warmer outside. They will get rid of the mats and think out his fur. He has one big mat on the side of his neck. It pains me to look at it. I will cut them as long as they aren't right on the skin, but this one is. I really dread trying to get him into the carrier. Anyone have this problem with mats? I have another cat, Snickers, when I bring Dean back from the groomer, Snickers will act like she has never seen Dean before. She will hiss and carry on and hide for a couple of days.
    Last edited by Denise; 06-05-2006, 02:49 PM.

Dean has different smells on him. Cats go by smell. Isn't there a special comb used to get mats out of pet's hair?

Comment

Fatkat can help you. She took her Lucy to the groomer last year for a lion cut due to the long hair and matting. Luckily, my cats don't mat, but the dogs do, behind their ears.

Comment

I have alittle dog that has long silky hair that mats terribly. I found a new type of brush that does wonders, it gets out the loose undercoat has has cut down remarkable on the mats. (it's also great for working out existing mats. I bought it off of QVC it's called a Furminator, the only thing is you can't use it on animals that don't shed ex. poodles
        People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to pick on rich women than biker gangs.

Comment

There is a special tool for the mats, a mat splitter, but I hate using them. I use what is called a "rake" to brush weekly. Also, learn to shave the cats tummy. That helped our Persian keep cool and also from being so matted in the summer.

Comment

My kitties dont mat, but one of them sheds really badly lately, and anyone whose cat lets them comb them is lucky! I bought a cat comb and tried to comb him and that was the first time I ever really saw him get MEAN. Aint no way he will ever let me near him with that comb again!

Comment

I use a dog flea comb on my cats. The tines are further apart than the ones on cats flea combs. It works wonders on the mats. I have only one that has long hair that mats. I comb him nightly to avoid as many as possible. Seems like he gets matted the most during winter when he loves to snuggle in the fleece blankets. I think the fleece and his long hair/static electricity create the mats? When you bring the first one home from his haircut, take a dryer sheet like Bounce or something and rub it all over the cat that was left at home, and then before you bring the groomer cat inside, rub him down with the dryer sheet too. They will both smell exactly the same. Works like a charm...and no fights. I do this all the time as I have 3 kitties. No more fights since I learned that trick! >'.'<

Comment

I use the rake I bought for brushing my sheltie for my long haired cats. They like it, and we haven't had any problems with matting since. I have to remember to do it at least once a week, but it's worked for me. I used to hate having to cut those mats off of my one cat, he's such a baby when it comes to that type of thing.
                A good friend will come and bail you out of jail.... but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn, that was fun!"

Comment

My one kitty mats more than my other one. If you have someone to help you, maybe this would work....

My hubby will hold my kitty and I place a wide toothed comb through the mat against to my kitty's skin and leave it there until I cut the mat off with scissors. The comb keeps me from cutting my kitty's skin. It may leave a small peice of mat but then it is usually easy to comb out. Hope this helps.

Comment

Apanda--I will definetely try the dryer sheet trick. MrsMo--one of the groomers has me so scared of shaving the cat--she told me stories of tearing the skin on a cat at a place she worked in. That would save $ if I could. They want $55 to groom him. It's funny though, cause when we got him, he was white. Dad was white and Mom is the orange. So, now with having some of the mats cut and he was shaved in February, he has orange coming through the white. I will try the combs that you all have mentioned. I feel so bad when he has mats.

Comment

Working...
                    X