Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crockpot corned beef brisket...?& a cooking confession.(For AngID & all.)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crockpot corned beef brisket...?& a cooking confession.(For AngID & all.)

Ok,I am telling on myself here.I will be honest & let you in on a little secret,which is...I am just not good at crockpot cookery & I dont like the taste of my finished results(Or almost anyone else's crockpot meats either!)With the exception of pulled pork or bbq beef!Its true,my meats are tender most of the time but almost too falling apart tender!They are mushy/watery also(Even if I dont put much liquid in!).I would rather have a great oven browned roasted taste result than a boiled/crockpot taste.I wish I did like this taste because I have some corned beef roasts in my freezer & would love to cook them in the crockpot & not a hot oven.I wish mine looked like yours did in your picture AngID.They look so good!Its just so hard for me to get that tender almost falling apart goodness w/o the meat being too done & spongy like.Does anyone know what I mean?Or am I the only one that this happens to?Figures,if it is just me! p.s.Its not just meats that I have a problem w/in the crockpot,its just about anything that i've tried since I got my 1st crockpot,probably 37 yrs ago.Thank you!

I would say that you are cooking longer then necessary if it is mushy. I always check an hour before they say. Also are you cooking at the right setting? I rarely use high unless I jumpstart for about a 1/2 hour and then turn it on low. I have had a lot of liquid in mine at times and it has not been an issue so I am guess that overcooking is the issue. I know, invite me over, cook for me and I will bring a fruit cobbler. Win win for both of us as I will do the dishes!!!!!
    Heritic, rebel, a thing to flount,
    He drew a circle that shut me out.
    But love and I had the wit to win,
    We drew a circle that took him in.

Comment

ltb you would be the perfect dinner guest! Oh boy we LOVE fruit cobblers,especially blackberry or cherry!mmm yum! & We would love to have you over & cook for you.Cooking & baking are passions of mine.As a matter of fact just about everyone in our family are good cooks, the men as well as the women! (I have to brag on them as its true!)

Yes, you are probably right in that I am cooking longer than necessary or at too high a heat.I wish my crockpot had a timer on it,I forget to set a timer for that type of cooking & I do tend to forget to check it early sometimes.I lost my microwave cookbooks in a move a long time ago so I have just kind of "winged it" on the cooking times most of the time or think that it will be the same as an online recipe.I just dont do this type of cooking alot because of past failures.& we do love our brown roasted meats or grilled ones & then,the least healthy but oh so yummy fried foods!Unless I have a good T&T crockpot recipe,I just dont go there with a crockpot for complete cooking.The main thing I cook in them are a corn casserole,hot dogs,bbq beef,georgian vinegar based pulled pork or the occasional good T&T recipe that someone has given me.But its pretty rare & its mostly in hot weather to keep the heat down in the kitchen.Oh & even brown beans tend to be falling apart,yet hard in places when I cook them in a crockpot!Go figure on that one to!

Comment

Just a thought, but what I do is sear the meat on a high heat in a frying pan after I season it, on all sides. It seals in the juices but also gives it the a flavor that you won't have otherwise. More like it was oven roasted. I then put the veggies in the pan after putting the meat in the crockpot and sear then till they have some browned bits on them. I season them also. I use fresh herbs from my herb garden on the meat and veggies like rosemary, chives, thyme ect.. Deglaze the pan with water, wine, or stock of your choice and put in crockpot. Maybe stir the beans halfway through the cooking time?

Blackberry will win hands down every time with me. I love seeing others cook as that is how I have learned so much. It is amazing all the different ways, traditions, cultures and tastes that make such a difference. Have a good one!!
        Heritic, rebel, a thing to flount,
        He drew a circle that shut me out.
        But love and I had the wit to win,
        We drew a circle that took him in.

Comment

Originally posted by livetobake View Post
          Just a thought, but what I do is sear the meat on a high heat in a frying pan after I season it, on all sides. It seals in the juices but also gives it the a flavor that you won't have otherwise. More like it was oven roasted. I then put the veggies in the pan after putting the meat in the crockpot and sear then till they have some browned bits on them. I season them also. I use fresh herbs from my herb garden on the meat and veggies like rosemary, chives, thyme ect.. Deglaze the pan with water, wine, or stock of your choice and put in crockpot. Maybe stir the beans halfway through the cooking time?

Blackberry will win hands down every time with me. I love seeing others cook as that is how I have learned so much. It is amazing all the different ways, traditions, cultures and tastes that make such a difference. Have a good one!!
          I was doing the same thing. I don't think I've used the crock pot since I got my enameled Dutch oven. I just brown everything (in batches - seasoning as I go along), dump everything back in the pot and stick it in a low (200) oven all day. I much prefer the flavor. I never did care for the consistency of beans in the crock pot, no matter how low or high, or how long I cooked them. Much rather them low and slow in the oven. We don't really get that many "hot" days up here and I've never really felt a discernible difference in the temperature when I get home and something has been in a low oven all day. Our temps only get above 80, maybe, 10 or 15 days a year.
          Weather stats (averages) for CDA: "The warm season lasts from June 23 to September 10 with an average daily high temperature above 74F. The hottest day of the year is July 27, with an average high of 84F and low of 56F."

Comment

I can recommend this recipe, if you want to know for how long to cook Corned Beef http://https://club.cooking/articles...ok-corned-beef

Comment

I have 4 crock pots. The new one with the digital timers... I hate it, it runs to hot, even the low overcooks everything. It has a timer so it can kick down to warm but its still awful. I do like creamed corn and ranch mushrooms made in there. It even does a good job on baked potatoes, just toss them in before going to work. I like it for convenience sake.

Comment

I had 4 crock pots, donated 2 to Legion.
                I had one that we got for a shower gift 38 years ago, and I hated it. It didn't cook potatoes and carrots thoroughly, and a beef roast in it came out tasting funny.
                I have another one, different make, that is probably just as old, and is THE BEST!
                I just bought another one, that has a locking lid for transport that comes in handy when I make stuff for our work crew, I like to treat them every now and again in the cold weather with chili, soups or stew. It cooks everything really fast, and has that same feature, Muzette, where it kicks down to 'keep warm'
                A balanced diet is a cookie in both hands

Comment

I know this is an old post but will add to it. I have several crockpots (more than I would like to admit). I also have 4 pressure cookers (2 are instant pots).

I do not like chicken wings or ribs in the crockpot. Chicken wings were meant to be crunchy, not soggy. ACK!

LTB has great info above! Most cook way too hot, I cook mostly on low, unless I jump start an hour on high. Everything is always cooked sooner than recommend times. One time I had three or four crockpots going at the same time, making dessert in one. Ive also made banana bread in one.

I highly recommend an Instant Pot if you dont have one, it does everything. I have the large and small versions. You can sear and go from there in it. Plus it makes killer risotto.

Comment

I bought a crockpot one time and had great plans for it, then I tried it. My countertop got too hot under it. I didn't see the point of cooking something so long when things cook faster in the oven or on the stove top and I will not leave something on and plugged in while I am away from home, soooooo.........I gave it away.
                    Now, I do want to try and air fryer one day.

Comment

Allie, youd love the air fryer I think. We have 3, different models. When we moved back to CO last summer i had brought one with me. I used it every day. Our oven needed replacing, so it was a huge help.

Comment

Originally posted by Bean View Post
                        Allie, youd love the air fryer I think. We have 3, different models. When we moved back to CO last summer i had brought one with me. I used it every day. Our oven needed replacing, so it was a huge help.
                        Do you like a certain brand over the others?

Comment

I have this one but got it at Kohls much cheaper

https://www.amazon.com/Power-Air-Fry...s%2C170&sr=8-9

I just noticed this, it comes with everything. It looks good from the reviews

https://www.amazon.com/Package-Recip...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Comment

Originally posted by AllieK View Post
                            I bought a crockpot one time and had great plans for it, then I tried it. My countertop got too hot under it. I didn't see the point of cooking something so long when things cook faster in the oven or on the stove top and I will not leave something on and plugged in while I am away from home, soooooo.........I gave it away.
                            Now, I do want to try and air fryer one day.
                            I am with you on this one AllieK, I also had a crockpot , made some things in it , if I remember correctly soup or chili. Wasn't impressed with the results, and gave the crockpot to my granddaughter.
                            I also wouldn't leave my house with a crockpot plugged in and running. So there is no point for me to have one. I prefer to fix soups and chili etc. on top of the stove and roasts etc in the oven.
                            But since it's just the two of us, I don't fix dishes like that anymore, I do steaks, fry pork chops or fish filet , something quick with a salad or veggie on the side.

Comment

Working...
                            X