Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

did you know that today (21st November) is...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• did you know that today (21st November) is...

https://i0.wp.com/nationaldaycalendar.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/National-Stuffing-Day-November-21.jpg?resize=680%2C680&ssl=1

...National Stuffing day. In the days gone by when my Mum used to buy a raw chicken from the butchers, she would mix stale bread crumbs, onion, an egg and mixed herbs and stuff it into the inside of the chicken. I hated it as a child but now I love it. These days I buy chickens ready cooked but the stuffing isn't nearly as nice as what my Mum made. I still make it sometimes if I'm cooking roast beef... I cut a pocket into the meat and push as much stuffing in as I can. If I'm making the stuffing for beef I will crumb the breadcrumbs in my food processor and add a couple of dried apricots. YUM!
    I love my computer because all my friends live inside it!

I love Stuffing, always have. I even love packaged Stove Top Stuffing. As far as Thanksgiving goes, you can keep the turkey, just give me stuffing and gravy!

Comment

I love stuffing too. Growing up I didn't care for it but I love it now. I prefer sage stuffing and my Mom always soaked her bread and added lots of sautéed onions celery, eggs plus sage - yummy. I'm like Charlene - give me stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy.

Comment

There is not enough words that I can use for describing dressing so I will just use one: Delicious!!!!
        Heritic, rebel, a thing to flount,
        He drew a circle that shut me out.
        But love and I had the wit to win,
        We drew a circle that took him in.

Comment

I use Stove Top stuffing / dressing, but I doctor it with pork sausage , celery , onions, and some seasonings like sage, and everybody likes it. I have always baked the stuffing in a casserole dish, so I guess then it is called dressing, it's good.

Comment

Originally posted by Sabine View Post
            I use Stove Top stuffing / dressing, but I doctor it with pork sausage , celery , onions, and some seasonings like sage, and everybody likes it. I have always baked the stuffing in a casserole dish, so I guess then it is called dressing, it's good.
            I often hear about Stove Top dressing but we don't have it here. I just googled it but they don't make it easy to extract a recipe from the pack ingredients:

http://painfreekitchen.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/stuffing.png

I'll search later tonight for a copycat recipe. Maybe Steph has one... I'm guessing that you prepare it in a saucepan or frying pan. I need to go to Costco next week to get our tyres rotated on the car so I'll check to see if they have it.
            Last edited by Chayote; 11-23-2017, 12:55 AM.

Comment

The instructions on how to prepare are on the outside of the package. Saucepan or microwave

Comment

thanks, Sabine... I don't have a package to look at. The pictures above were on the internet. I think the website it belongs on is promoting only healthy foods. I don't even know what high fructose corn syrup is... *LOL*

Hope you have a very happy Thanksgiving day.

Comment

Thank you Chayote. I just looked at the package, it only has 2 g of sugar, but a lot of salt.

Comment

I just wanted to add, that I prepare via the saucepan instruction, then I add sautéed onions and celery and cooked sausage, mix it all up , put in casserole dish and bake at 350 for about 30 min or so until heated through.

Comment

I got my grocery delivery tonight so I plan to make some stuffing out of the 2-day old bread we had left. I was originally trying to get through November without buying food but I gave up and put an order in last night. I like your idea of baking it in the oven. I can also make some in my waffle iron and bag them up in the freezer.

I like celery but I don't have any right now. I'll add onion, butter, mixed herbs, salt and pepper. I love adding dried fruit to stuffing but if I do that, John won't eat it.

It's almost 2.30am here. It's too hot and humid to sleep. Could be a long night...

Comment

Working...
                      X