Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

did you know that today (28th November) is...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• did you know that today (28th November) is...

https://i2.wp.com/nationaldaycalenda...80%2C680&ssl=1

...National French Toast day. I'm not a fan of the taste of egg. I'm happy to eat things containing eggs but I couldn't eat an egg on it's own. This french toast looks amazing because the toast looks more bread than egg and it looks crispy. Of course the fruit is 100% the hero of the dish for me.
    I love my computer because all my friends live inside it!

We love French Toast. I am with you on the egg aspect Chayote so I put vanilla and cinnamon in the custard mixture and that gives it a good flavor and the aroma is so tempting when it hits the griddle. I cook on a med low temp so that the custard cooks in the bread before it gets overly brown. Yes, it should have a bit of a crust on it. Dense or dry bread works the best. I use cinnamon or cinnamon raison bread.
    Heritic, rebel, a thing to flount,
    He drew a circle that shut me out.
    But love and I had the wit to win,
    We drew a circle that took him in.

Comment

My girlfriend makes French toast , she uses challah or brioche bread, so good. I don't like syrup on it, only powdered sugar and fresh fruit. Makes a great breakfast for Christmas morning.

Comment

We love French toast here. I love to use sourdough bread and soak it in a mixture of Coffeemate cinnamon vanilla cream, eggs and a touch of salt. It is so good!

Comment

Charlene - How much cinnamon cream to eggs - maybe two cups cream to two eggs? I also use my hazelnut creamer as a milk replacement in my oatmeal - delish too.

Comment

If you want a rich French Toast use Eggnog that you add two eggs and a touch of nutmeg. It is so dang good and is my DGS favorite way for having French Toast or waffles. I use the eggnog in place of the liquid for waffles.

Comment

I am sure eggnog is great to use to make French toast, very rich for sure, but unless you make your own eggnog, it's not available in the stores unless it is Christmas time. Ina Garten ( food network ) has a recipe for a French toast casserole using croissants. Sort of like a breadpudding.

Comment

Originally posted by Vera View Post
                Charlene - How much cinnamon cream to eggs - maybe two cups cream to two eggs? I also use my hazelnut creamer as a milk replacement in my oatmeal - delish too.
                I donít really measure it Vera. Iím sure itís at about a cup of cream for 2 eggs. I just mix it up until it makes what looks right for making the French Toast. I do plan on making it soon so Iíll update it when Iím paying attention to the ingredients!

Comment

Originally posted by Sabine View Post
                  I am sure eggnog is great to use to make French toast, very rich for sure, but unless you make your own eggnog, it's not available in the stores unless it is Christmas time. Ina Garten ( food network ) has a recipe for a French toast casserole using croissants. Sort of like a breadpudding.
                  This probably sounds like blasphemy for egg nog purists, but Silk Soy Products makes a fabulous soy based eggnog thatís available this time of year and it keeps for months! I had a carton in the fridge that had not been opened (theyíre in that aseptic packaging that you see for shelf stable milk). Out of curiosity I opened it, sniffed it and drank it and it was perfect. I bought a bunch of it for this year. I love real eggnog but I actually like this better.

Comment

What I do is put it in a small milk jug container leaving headspace and freeze it. I just pull out what I want, it thaws in no time and I have it year round. The only thing I found is that you should shake it and put the air back into it as the air bubbles up and out as it freezes. Otherwise it has a "flat" taste that shaking eliminates. You can freeze milk, fresh pressed cider like I get at the apple orchard and have some in July and August when it is so hot and humid.

A friend saves me the smaller plastic jugs when she saw me with eggnog in the middle of July and asked me where I got it. She does the same.

Comment

Working...
                    X