Christmas decorations outside.....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas decorations outside.....

We arent going to put up our outside lights this year & I'm ambivalent about it.Part of me wants to but then there's the other side of me just wanting everything to be simple.Are you putting up lights & what else do you do when decorating the outside of your house & yard?

Not doing all the lights this year. I, like you, am keeping it more simple. We hardly get any traffic on our street so the decorations are for the deer. I will decorate inside though since I am hosting Christmas dinner,

Comment

We have never decorated outside. I sometimes put lights on our Christmas tree in the loungeroom and leave the blinds up so the lights show through the window. We have a wreath of baubles that hangs on the front door. Other that we only have our antique Nativity that I set up on the buffet.
      I love my computer because all my friends live inside it!

Comment

We have never put outside lights up , only decoration is a wreath on the front door. We have neighbors who go all out, and a lot of time ii is just a mish/mash of decorations. No rhyme or reason. Of course this year it seems like a lot of people have the balloon decorations up which are cute when they are inflated, but don't look so great when they all lay deflated in the yard.

Comment

I bought some lights several years ago that make it a snap, and I mean no time, in putting up. They are stakes that I put in the flower boxes on the porch railings that are lights that the base of the bulb swirl around with the colors of red, blue and green. It is slow in motion and almost looks like you are underwater. In about 15 minutes I have all of them in the dirt and plugged in. I found some that were not expensive and have 6 so the side and front of the house are just so pretty at night. I have them on a timer so no work for me no matter what the weather. I did them about two weeks ago and will start the timers on the First of December. A wreath on the front and back door and I am done.
          Heritic, rebel, a thing to flount,
          He drew a circle that shut me out.
          But love and I had the wit to win,
          We drew a circle that took him in.

Comment

We used to do outside lights but we donít do it anymore. Thereís something about ladders, high roofs, and bad knees that makes it sound like a really bad idea. Maybe we should do like some of the neighbors and leave them up all year!

Comment

'My' decorating outside consists of garland/lights/ornaments around front door. This year I switched the colour and bought all new lights etc in blue and and silver. Hubby decorates our little bridge over a small stream joining our SIL & BIL's house, we have hanging lanterns filled with ornaments/lights, and icicle lights hanging on sides of eaves of covered bridge. We have 3 small dwarf evergreens of some sort, that DH puts white twinkle lights on in the yard in front of our cabin. In the big window of our cabin hangs a lighted santa face that once hung in DH's Dad's drugstore when he was a little boy. Santa just had a 'make-over'! an artist friend of ours re-painted his face, and once again looks brand new and he is smiling brightly from the window. All along the eaves of the cabin, DH strings up green and red lights. Such a a pretty sight. Now only if we had a bit of snow.........
              A balanced diet is a cookie in both hands

Comment

Vera,thats funny about the deer! I like that...

Comment

Chay I love antique nativity sets.So beautiful!

Comment

Sabine we have those same neighbors who keep their lights up all year & even keep them turned on in July.LOL DH teases sometimes that he's the Christmas light constable & he's going to stop & write them up a citation.Now,it would be ok for the elderly & disabled to keep them up all year,thats fine.But,these same "young neighbors" even keep up their decorations i.e.the sleigh on top of their house w/Santa's rear end & legs hanging out of the chimney!!I'm sorry but.....come on...!!!Ok I have vented & now i'm fine.
                    Last edited by D'sMom; 12-07-2017, 03:07 PM.

Comment

livetobake,now I could handle some of those easy lights,where do I purchase them?TY

Comment

Charlene,I hear you about those ladders,deadly right!?Hu uh I dont think I could handle them right now either!Eek!

Comment

Mudder your home sounds charming.I'm sure its very beautiful!

Comment

Now,my dear mother,she was the queen of decorating anything!As a child & even as an adult,I always loved when the holidays came around,everything she did was very magical,beautiful & tasteful for each holiday.I'm sad that I didnt inherit that gift or gene.She was an artist,& we children were always excited about whatever she did next.When we were little (& even as adults) we all were in awe of her & her abilities on anything she put her hand to.I remember how when I was about 6 yrs old how she painted our room this beautiful robins egg blue on 2 walls & off white on the other 2 walls.We had the whole upstairs area for 5 children.Then,she stayed up all night while we were asleep & she drew nursery rhymes, all of the characters in different colors for whatever walls they were on.It was just beautiful!The house is no longer there,but my sisters &I were riding around one day & just happened to go by there & the house was for sale.We asked could we come in & see the house,we all went up the stairs to our old bedroom & they had papered over her art work!Of course it was so many years later & probably several families had had the house but,my sister went over to the big closet up under the eaves & inside the closet faintly was her artwork of the nursery rhymes!Wow!That to me was a wonderful gift of reflection.& my sisters as well.
                            Last edited by D'sMom; 12-07-2017, 04:08 AM.

Comment

What!It said that what I had posted was Spam!Its done that twice to me,once the other day & now.Please moderator bring my post back,it took me some time to get it done.

Comment

Working...
                              X