Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• November 6th Dinner Post

Good Morning!

What a dark day, rain, and cold out. A high of 36 and the low of mid 20's.

I have a candle burning and Susan Boyle shuffling on Amazon Prime while I crochet so I can convince myself that it is a beautiful sunny day.

Dinner? I think it will be the worst of the worst. Canned ravioli if you can believe it!

What will you be having?
    Heritic, rebel, a thing to flount,
    He drew a circle that shut me out.
    But love and I had the wit to win,
    We drew a circle that took him in.

I can't even imagine buying canned ravioli!!! Same goes for spaghettos All the delicious sounding meals that you have posted before make this a surprising choice for you. Hope you can choke it down. Hope tomorrow isn't leftovers - lol.

I'm making cheesy chicken spaghetti - similar but not the same.

Comment

I loved them as a child. Picked up a can about 10 years ago and wondered what the heck 10 year old me was thinking. LOL

Larry is heating up leftovers tonight.

Comment

are we in November or Dec.? Nov. works for me, would give me more time to get things done.

Comment

Genia,

We are in December but the thought of that ravioli fried my brain. Actually, when my sugar is off my thoughts get mixed up and I say or do dumb things. Sometimes I even sound drunk with slurred speech and walking into things.

On a brighter note, it is so nice seeing you posting. I agree with D'sMom that you should come out into the sunshine and play with us!! Creepy sounding or not!
          Heritic, rebel, a thing to flount,
          He drew a circle that shut me out.
          But love and I had the wit to win,
          We drew a circle that took him in.

Comment

It was really cold this morning but it warmed up this afternoon. We are having terrible fires in the hills, were safe but were surrounded by smoke. The Santa Ana winds wreak havoc in the fall, high winds and single digit humidity makes the whole area look like kindling. I took Mom to the credit union to get a lot of paperwork taken care of, we have more to do either tomorrow or Friday.

We had Subway sandwiches for dinner, too worn out to cook.

Comment

Eew DH likes ravioli in a pinch to.To me,sorry,but it smells like dog food.I just cant wrap my brain around it or eating sardines straight out of the can either!Unless i'm using them in a recipe forgettaboutit!DH loves canned sardines!I ask him to stay away from me until he brushes his teeth after eating them!He likes to tease me by chasing me around the house just before brushing his teeth!!!Trying to give me a big ole sardine smackaroo kiss!I run & hide.LOL
              Last edited by D'sMom; 12-07-2017, 11:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by livetobake View Post
                I have a candle burning and Susan Boyle shuffling on Amazon Prime
                Susan Boyle is special to me, too. I included her song "Who I Was Born To Be" at my Mum's funeral. I was playing while old photos of Mum from her birth in 1918 to her aged 92. It was precious.

I've been inside all day because of my stupid foot! I've done very little with the day other than make John a hamburger for his dinner. I had baked beans (out of a can) on toast.
                I love my computer because all my friends live inside it!

Comment

Originally posted by livetobake View Post
                  Genia,

On a brighter note, it is so nice seeing you posting. I agree with D'sMom that you should come out into the sunshine and play with us!! Creepy sounding or not!
                  ltb

Comment

Originally posted by CharleneG View Post
                    It was really cold this morning but it warmed up this afternoon. We are having terrible fires in the hills, were safe but were surrounded by smoke. The Santa Ana winds wreak havoc in the fall, high winds and single digit humidity makes the whole area look like kindling. I took Mom to the credit union to get a lot of paperwork taken care of, we have more to do either tomorrow or Friday.

We had Subway sandwiches for dinner, too worn out to cook.
                    Charlene those fires sound so unimaginably scary!I'm so glad that you're safe.Those other people & animals that arent safe,losing their homes....its a tragedy for sure!

Comment

These fires are some of the worst weve experienced and theyre in places that were very familiar with. I know a lot of people that live in these areas, some have had to evacuate but havent heard if they were burned out. It will take years for the area to recover.

Im very thankful we are in a very fire safe area and that were OK. Ive lived in this area for over 65 years and Ive developed a feel for what areas would be dangerous. My grandfather was a forest ranger in Montana and Idaho and he taught us a lot about fire safety areas.

Comment

I was just watching a news report about the Californian fires. Scary stuff...
                        I love my computer because all my friends live inside it!

Comment

Charlene a ?
                          Are there no firebreaks around those areas where the fires are the most prevalent or even if they are not so prevalent,yet,they could be come so if given the right circumstance?Or are there no firebreaks where the human populated areas meet & join into the forestry in Cali?Thats probably a very naive ? on my part but I've often wondered that.It seems like as soon as 1 fire starts, another fire is directly on the first fire's heals & that they never quite dissipate entirely.& also why do we hear about so many destructive fires in Cali,yet not as many as in the heavily & densely forested areas of say,Oregon,Cali's neighbor?Another probably naive question of mine,if it were up to me(& of course it isnt,lol) & if I could do something about these fires,I would rule in that,every so many feet &/or miles of forest/& or human population,there would be a more prolific amount of fire stations/fire depts in that direct vicinity.& that the humans in these areas would have direct safe refuges(Underground maybe,if feasible.& also, fire resistant!).& to be either taught on how to aid their areas & to help contain the fires in their vicinity,w/the fire depts in their areas.(Kind of like a neighborhood watch for fires in their areas & even beyond.)I'm aware of the wind factors & the other components etc.of what makes these fires the perfect storm of tragedy.There has got to be other/better ways to get these fires under control!

Comment

DsMom, you bring up very valid points here.

There are fire breaks in many of the areas but Im sure not all of them. So much of the most fire prone areas are still wilderness, and access to them can be kind of dicey. The areas around Ojai on highway 33 are steep ridges and twisty roads and deep valleys and very rocky and treacherous terrain. You can ride for miles and not see any properties.

The biggest problem as far as fires in So Cal is that much of the area is actually considered to be a desert climate or Mediterranean. We are more often than not in drought conditions, so the vegetation that came up after the winter rains is dust dry and there is no rain in the foreseeable future. Add to that the nasty Santa Ana winds and its a perfect storm for fires. Were having unprecedented Santa Ana winds and the lowest humidity weve seen in years. Yesterday it was between 2 and 6 percent. Everything is tinder dry. The winds in the fire area are reaching 60 to 80 mph. Were lucky in this area, we get the winds but nothing compared to the inland areas. The high winds make the fires impossible to control and the wind blows burning embers for miles, sparking more fires. Water dropping planes and helicopters cant fly in these conditions.

Some fire prone areas do have very specific building codes but many do not. Weve seen homes that were in the middle of large fires survive because of the way they were built; aluminum framing, closed roof eaves, fireproof roofing material, steel shuttered windows and drought resistant landscaping. If I had to live in those areas Id have all of that and more!

Oregon, Washington, Idaho and Montana do get horrendous fires too but for some reason they dont get a lot of news coverage until theyve really gotten out of hand. Im sure local coverage is excellent but for some reason national news seems to overlook them.

I hope this answers some some of your question!

Comment

Thank you Charlene I appreciate your feedback on this.You know 1 very big question that I didnt say in my previous post on this subject is that,wouldnt you think that the higher ups would draw on 1 of their most important resources which is the ocean water which could probably be pipelined into those outlying terrains?Yes very expensive I know & with the subterranean faults & the areas of the land being built upon which is sand.But you know a great engineer could most possibly help the situation?But then again, maybe not either or it woulda/coulda been done before now.

Comment

Working...
                              X