Today was one of "those" days

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today was one of "those" days

My sister and I decided to take my mom out of her rest home to go eat out. Neither of us has a car, so we had to get her up into my PU, which is no easy task. We get to the restaurant and all of the handicap spots are taken. There is a spot at a nearby "closed" place, but is very close to the front door of the restaurant, so we park in that spot. Mom has to take her walker and walk a little ways over the parking lot, which is not exactly even in places. She gets to one of the cracks between portions of pavement and her walker wheels come to a stop. Instead of picking the wheels up a little bit to clear it, she decides to shove it over the crack. The walker didn't move, but she did. She went flying over the walker and face-planted right into the pavement. Now, my mom is 83 years old and weighs over 200 lbs. Thankfully, a man saw it happen and came over to help us get her back on her feet. We get her back into the PU and take her to the ER. We sit there for almost 5 hours while they do CAT scans and x-rays. Nothing was broken, but she came out of there with an egg-size bump right over her left eye and her whole left side of her face bruised. We never did get to eat, but she was hungry when she got back to the home and sat down and ate. Lesson Learned!

So sorry, Allie. It was really good of you to try something fun for your mom. Stuff happens. At least nothing was broken.

Comment

Oh dear...your poor Mommy!
      A balanced diet is a cookie in both hands

Comment

Oh my goodness, I am so sorry! I am glad she wasn't hurt worse!

Comment

She is lucky she didn't break anything and didn't have a head injury. You meant well, maybe next time bring some food in to her, that way you don't have to get her in / out of a pickup truck. And she seems to have trouble maneuvering her walker, I think it's best not to do that again. I know I wouldn't.

Comment

Allie,

I can only imagine how scared you were when that happened. It is one of life's curve balls that can really shake you up.

I had a friend that had the same issues yet loved getting out of the nursing home but it was difficult getting her in and out of the vehicle. What I did was have the staff there help her into my vehicle, we took a pleasant ride and then we stopped at a DQ that is opened all year, went thru the drive-in and sat and ate in the car. She just loved their hot dogs and a butterscotch Dilly Bar. Maybe not the best meal but it was only once in a while and like she said " If a hot dog and ice cream will kill me it would have done it a long time ago." She always got raw onions, relish and ketchup on the hot dog, something she said she only got when she went there. She just loved raw onions and always got a double amount put on.

When we returned back at the home I went in and they came out and helped her back out. They put a belt on her so they could hold onto her and put her in a wheel chair so that she was transported in and out of the building safely. We were only gone about 11/2-2 hours but she so loved it. In the fall I took for a ride so she could see all the leaves.

I commend you for getting your mom and wanting her having the enjoyment of you and your company, the pleasure of being out and eating out and making and sharing memories with her. I hope maybe I have given you a idea that might allow for your continuance of taking your Mom out and still keep her safe.

Heritic, rebel, a thing to flount,
            He drew a circle that shut me out.
            But love and I had the wit to win,
            We drew a circle that took him in.

Comment

Allie, my dad was in a nursing home in another state. I couldn't take him out. He had MS and arthritis of the spine. I had the local pizza place deliver a pizza once a week. Of course he couldn't eat it all so he shared with other residents and staff. It gave him something to look forward to.

Comment

Good Idea smokey. So many places deliver groceries now that you could have most anything delivered. You just need being careful of diet restrictions for some residents but that would be for the staff knowing and monitoring.

When I worked I grilled out on a two grills in the summertime for the residents every Friday and they just loved it and so looked forward to it. It was just hot dogs and hamburgers, rotated every other week. Such a treat for them tasting food cooked on a grill, Always a ice cream cone for a treat midafternoon on Friday's also. My staff always said on those days the plates were always cleaned up. I ordered paper plates, summer themed napkins, plastic silverware and plastic cups for the lemonade so it said "picnic".

Allie, I would check and see if you could bring in Dilly Bars or something similar that can be labeled and dated for your Mom. It can be kept at the nurses station for having when your Mom asks for it. She could even share some.

So many things you can do if you know about them. You can even request certain items that she wants for her meals also. I would talk with the dietician and see what the possibilities are for her. As long as you stay within her diet and food/drug interactions there should be no problem. Any food for her sharing has to come from a "secure" source not homemade items as the state considers them "contaminated" so only your mom can eat what you make and bring from home.

It is wonderful that you take such care and interest in your Mom. So many do not get that.
                Heritic, rebel, a thing to flount,
                He drew a circle that shut me out.
                But love and I had the wit to win,
                We drew a circle that took him in.

Comment

" I commend you for getting your mom and wanting her having the enjoyment of you and your company, the pleasure of being out and eating out and making and sharing memories with her. I hope maybe I have given you a idea that might allow for your continuance of taking your Mom out and still keep her safe"

Too bad the only memory AllieK's mom has of this outing is a bad fall and a 5 hour wait in the ER. Maybe AllieK needs to ask her mom if she wants to go out again after this unfortunate accident.
                  If this nursing home has a park like area with tables and benches, I would suggest take her out there in a wheel chair and bring a picnic basket with all her favorite picnic food , it will be a change for her to eat outside and she can visit with her daughters .

Comment

My mom cannot remember much of anything anymore. An hour into it, she didn't even remember what happened, why she was in a strange place and why she couldn't leave. She cannot even remember my name anymore and sometimes doesn't even remember I'm her daughter. My sister and I have already determined that we cannot take her out like that again. I'm also going to buy her a wheel chair for the times that we have no other option.
                    I'm not sure what to do about her walker. I was at a healthcare equipment place and pushed one of the newer walkers. It took off so fast and I know it would get away from her and she would fall. She cannot understand the concept of having the handles/hands down by her side instead of her leaning on the handles with her elbows.

Comment

Working...
                    X