Big vent

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big vent

We live in Portland, Oregon to be near our daughters and grandchildren.
    I hate it here.
    I love our 12 family apartment but the garage is open. No gate. Soooo, folks can come and go. They can dump their trash, spend the night or leave their stash in shopping carts.
    Our previous apartment had a locked garage. Problem was that there were over 100 families and only one elevator. If someone were moving in or out or maybe just bought some new furniture they would lock down the elevator for several hours with very little or no notice. We lived four floors above the garage. Our basset has a bad back and DH had just gotten two new knees.
    Homeless folks wander around often with shopping carts full of stuff. Many are high on drugs. There aren't many regulars nearby.
    Anyway, we never leave anything in the car to be seen. Some folks leave their cars unlocked so they don't have their windows broken.

Well DH got the kids at school yesterday. Got back here at 3:30. Left a butterfly backpack and two kids' gym bags on front floor. Bathing suits, goggles, lunch box. Well, by 5:30 we discovered a broken window and those items gone. Just didn't expect it in broad daylight.
    Kids upset. Glass all over. Smash and grab. Caneras in garage but doubt they will show much if anyone even looks at them. Police officer said even if they got him he'd be out in 20 minutes.
    DD's car has been hit twice parked in different locations. Both DDs have had their cars hit from behind while waiting at a traffic light.
    The thing that bothers me the most is that none of the above bothers most other folks.
    Bicycles are also prime targets. Often you see someone riding a bike pulling anithan alongside. Homeless camps are full of them.
    Just never lived like this before.
    Houses are expensive too. Lest you think we live in a bad area, the 100 year old house next door is selling for $950,000.
    Thanks for letting me get some if this out.

Comment

I kind of don't feel safe where I live and we live out in the country in a small quiet area of South Texas. We've had helicopters circling overhead shining bright lights on our property before. Illegals can be anywhere around here and many of them are desperate so no telling what they are capable of. With the population explosion, people are just getting desperate, and yes, the drug problems do not help.

Comment

I have never lived in the northwest, only seen pictures in travel magazine of Portland area and it's beautiful. But I read on the internet that Portland has a tremendous problem with homeless people and illegal people. It's pretty sad and scary when someone breaks into your house in the middle of the day when you are home.
        AllieK, illegals are a problem here in SA also, and it's a big city. SA has become a drop off point for illegal people being smuggled in from Mexico. They are stashed in big trucks and then dropped off in parking lots on the outskirts of town , like in a Walmart or Costco parking lot , happens all the time.
        Illegals have always been a problem here in South Texas , but it is getting worth, because now we have the illegals who come from South America , tracking through Mexico and coming across the border. Our laws need to change and that wall needs to be build , ASAP

Comment

Yes, the Pacific Northwest is beautiful. There is a huge homeless population here. I understand that there are many women and children who can't afford shelter. There is a large segment who are addicts and can be dangerous. DD lives across from a large, beautiful park. Needles are found daily. A woman sets up a table around 2am and sells drugs. People sleep near the playground. Police know. There is a church that does a needle exchange.
          One guy in the area is known as Machete Man. They take it away and he gets another. I just feel that the mentally Ill and addicts should not be on the streets. They are a danger to themselves and others. We recently bought pepper spray.
          Of course to pay for their habits, they have to steal. If these folks can find dealers why can't the police?
          A Montana neighbor's son (in his 40's) made a great salary as a stone mason. In winter he went to Hawaii to be homeless. Parks there have showers and are beautiful. His mom was happy when he was in jail for drug use because at least he was safe.
          Many here are young and choose this lifestyle. They can also be formidable if you encounter them.
          We used to volunteer at a shelter outside of DC. We cooked and served dinners. Residents were women and children. There were many dayworkers who came for a meal too. Always polite and friendly.
          For the most part that is not what we are seeing here.

Comment

I wish you could find a peaceful place when you feel safe and you like it. You and DH have paid your dues and I would just like seeing you find happiness in your housing. Being near your family is something you want and that is a good thing. You have the joy of being near them and watching your grandchildren grow and knowing you and you them.
            Heritic, rebel, a thing to flount,
            He drew a circle that shut me out.
            But love and I had the wit to win,
            We drew a circle that took him in.

Comment

Originally posted by Sabine View Post
              I have never lived in the northwest, only seen pictures in travel magazine of Portland area and it's beautiful. But I read on the internet that Portland has a tremendous problem with homeless people and illegal people. It's pretty sad and scary when someone breaks into your house in the middle of the day when you are home.
              AllieK, illegals are a problem here in SA also, and it's a big city. SA has become a drop off point for illegal people being smuggled in from Mexico. They are stashed in big trucks and then dropped off in parking lots on the outskirts of town , like in a Walmart or Costco parking lot , happens all the time.
              Illegals have always been a problem here in South Texas , but it is getting worth, because now we have the illegals who come from South America , tracking through Mexico and coming across the border. Our laws need to change and that wall needs to be build , ASAP
              I don't believe a wall will help. We have 2 borders and 2 coastlines. A wall on the Southern border will not stop people from coming in through the other 3 areas. We have to make it illegal to hire them unless they have valid work permits. No free schools, no automatic citizenship, no free healthcare, no benefits of any kind...period. I know that sounds cruel and is not a Christian thing to do, but this Country is being swamped right now. If all of the "draws" disappear, fewer will come.

Comment

Oh no...so sorry you are going thru this! How horrifying
                A balanced diet is a cookie in both hands

Comment

Originally posted by AllieK View Post

I don't believe a wall will help. We have 2 borders and 2 coastlines. A wall on the Southern border will not stop people from coming in through the other 3 areas. We have to make it illegal to hire them unless they have valid work permits. No free schools, no automatic citizenship, no free healthcare, no benefits of any kind...period. I know that sounds cruel and is not a Christian thing to do, but this Country is being swamped right now. If all of the "draws" disappear, fewer will come.
                  I totally agree with you . No benefits of any kind at all. But we should have done that many , many years ago. Pregnant women come here , into the border cities and have their babies, of course those babies are automatically American citizen, and that's were it starts. They are also called " Anchor " babies. And more kids they produce more welfare money they get. It needs to stop. If ICE catches them they need to be send back to their home country.

Comment

That so disappointing and distressing, smokey. I can imagine how upset the children were. The response from your Police office was disturbing... seems there's an issue between police and court officials. We have that problem here to some extent. There are street races during the night a couple of kilometres from us and the noise from the screeching tyres travels far. I called the police one night asking why they don't do something to stop them and they gave me the same answer... they round them up, get a tap on the back of their hands and called naughty boys or girls and then released without charge. Any wonder these young people think they're entitled to do whatever they want to whether legal or not.
                    I love my computer because all my friends live inside it!

Comment

Working...
                    X