What would you do with...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you do with...

Lets say I made a gallon of red wine vinegar, now what the heck do I do with it?

pickle lots of beets...what about onions? I have always thought myself to do a bunch up for roast beef, sandwiches, burgs etc.
    A balanced diet is a cookie in both hands

Comment

no beets yuck lol.

Comment

Why did you make so much ?

Comment

mmm yum love different flavored vinegars!How bout salads,pickled shrimp,carrots,yes onions & beets,garlic almost any vegetable or salads...vinaigrettes,salad dressing etc.

Edited for: These pickles are "refrigerator pickles."Which dont have to be put thru a "water bath or pressurized" method of canning.They are eaten after about a week-10 days for full pickled flavor.
          Last edited by D'sMom; 06-17-2018, 04:41 PM.

Comment

Pickled eggs, pickled watermelon rind, pickled green beans that taste like dill pickles, and so much more. Google it up and I am sure you would find more then you would dream you would find. Just remember that it will last a long time so they is no need for it being used up right away.

If there is any wine leftover you could always drink it while contemplating what you should do with the vinegar!!!
            Last edited by livetobake; 06-14-2018, 04:24 PM.
            Heritic, rebel, a thing to flount,
            He drew a circle that shut me out.
            But love and I had the wit to win,
            We drew a circle that took him in.

Comment

Originally posted by muzette7 View Post
              no beets yuck lol.
              Iím with you on that muzette7!!! Just the thought of eating beets makes me shudder!

Comment

I once accidentally bought a gallon of red wine vinegar but I have never made my own. I made a lot of salad dressings and marinade for meat with it but it still took a few years to use it up. The marinade turned chicken a weird color so I used it mostly for beef.

Comment

Home made wine vinegar tastes nothing like you get at the store. It does not have that vinegar punch it's almost got a sweet aftertaste. I made so much because I just tossed leftover wine into the pot. I do like pickled onions but not like I can eat a ton of them. I can't use it for long term pickleing because I don't have a way to test the acidity.

Comment

You can add acid in by using lemon juice and I forget what else can be used but goggle it and I am sure you can find out. In science we used lupus paper and tested for acid levels. Certain color that matched the chart on the package told us how high it was. Feel like going and seeing a science teacher? LOL!!

Comment

That would be great if your going to keep things short term. I dont mess around with canning foods, I follow the rules down to the letter, which all say do not use home made vinegar. You cant smell botulism.

Comment

I did not know that. That is good information for those of us that can and might be tempted using homemade. We made our own apple cider vinegar by putting some of the mother from the last of the batch we were using into cold pressed cider that was not processed like cider is today. We never tested for the acid level like they say now, 5% I believe. I wonder if they even knew about the acid level needed back in to 40's and 50's. I know my grandmother did not know as she made and used her own also from her apples that she made the cider from.

I don't blame you for going by today's standards as not only can you not smell botulism you cannot taste it. You know you have eaten when you are positive you are dying. Had it once when someone canned chili sauce and did not process it long enough as she thought she knew everything. She did not!!!

Thinking back, it is a wonder more people did not get sick from canning. We kept canned food for no longer then two years tho some kept it for several years. We usually had last years ate up in a few months of the second year. We boiled jars, rings, lids and always wiped rims down with a cloth dipped into boiling water before putting the rings and lids on.

The only thing we never canned and I have not canned is meat. That is scary because of the high risk of the bacteria. I have friends that deer hunt and they can all the meat as they do not have freezer space. They eat and love it and I will not touch it. I don't like deer meat anyway so I feel I am not missing out. They also can the chicken meat they get from the chickens they kill in the fall. Again, I will not eat it. Call me chicken. LOL

Comment

I have to comment on the general disliking of what you call "beets". I don't blame you because when I tried them when I was in the USA, they had very little taste in them. The Australian version is called "beetroot" (same vegetable) and when we buy a can of sliced beetroot it's cooked in water, sugar and salt so it has the flavour of being mildly pickled. John doesn't eat it but I love to open a can of beetroot and eat it all... about 400 grams. It's low calorie but it tends to put the beetroot colour in your wee... *LOL*

My Mum used to slice cucumber and onion together, sprinkle with sugar and salt and cover with any kind of vinegar. When left for a couple of hours the cucumber and onion taste pickled.
                          I love my computer because all my friends live inside it!

Comment

I love pickled beets. I have canned them for years. Much better then store bought. My Dad loved the onions and cucumber "pickled" like that. The longer they sat the better he liked them.

Comment

We LOVE spicy pickled beets here.To me they are better than candy,if done right!If you had ever tasted my DM & DGM spicy pickled beets the first time that you had ever tried them,then you would love them,I promise.I have turned so called "beet haters" onto these beets & they all turn out to be beet lovers after all!Seriously!

Edited for: You know,thru the years our pallets change,maybe if you tried them now,you might like them.
                              Last edited by D'sMom; 06-17-2018, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X