Canned salmon

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canned salmon

I love a good Sockeye salmon salad sandwich. My Mom's were the best, not too fishy tasting, made with green onions and minced celery....not sure if she used mayo or Miracle Whip. I'd like to know what I can add to the salmon to make it not so fishy tasting? I recall my Grandma adding vinegar, but I think that was cuz she had no mayo or Miracle Whip.
    A balanced diet is a cookie in both hands

Ew toss it out, sorry no help from me.

Comment

No help here either! I’ve just barely gotten to the point I can eat salmon fillets and even then it has to be smoked or well sauced.

Comment

I use canned salmon all the time to make salmon patties. I sauté chopped red onions, chopped celery and capers in some olive oil. Let it cool and then mix it with the canned salmon. I add lemon juice, old bay seasoning, and mayo. Mix in some panko crumbs as fillers
        and shape the mixture into patties. Put in refrigerator for a couple of hours before frying the patties. I usually serve with cole slaw and lemon slices.
        You could also make a remoulade sauce to serve with the patties
        Last edited by Sabine; 07-12-2018, 01:23 PM.

Comment

hi, MudderBear... a creamy dressing will cut down the flavour of the salmon. I love salmon and am happy to eat it naked... I can't imagine eating it with vinegar but that's not to say that some people may like it that way. If it was me eating your salmon, I'd have some garlic aioli but not too much or it might take over the salmon too much.

Are you sure your salmon is fresh? I always thought that fish that smelled very 'fishy' is going off.
          I love my computer because all my friends live inside it!

Comment

When I use salmon filets I just put salt and pepper on the fish, take off the skin and sauté it in a frying pan on both side until almost done . No sauce of any kind, just cocktail sauce to dip and some lemon slices. Fish never smells or tastes fishy. It really shouldn't smell at all.

Comment

I would wonder what brand of the canned salmon you are using? I usually use what I get from ALDI but have also used Bumble Bee and neither of them taste fishy. I use no mayo just the liquid in the can for moisture. I put in the onions, cracker crumbs and pepper but because of the salt on the crackers I don't use anymore and an egg for binding.

There is so many ways of making them but I have never had one that is fishy tasting that is canned from anywhere.

Everyone has different tastes so I wish I could help you so you could enjoy the flavor but am at a loss for this one. Maybe the salmon in the pouch? It will cost more but is drier I have heard so might be better in the fishy taste not being in the liquid? Sorry I am not much help.
              Heritic, rebel, a thing to flount,
              He drew a circle that shut me out.
              But love and I had the wit to win,
              We drew a circle that took him in.

Comment

We get the cans at Costco for salmon patties (burgers). Probably Kirkland brand. Need to put those in the menu soon!

Comment

maybe I'm reading this wrong ??? do you mean like a tuna salad or the fried salmon patties?
                  if you mean like a tuna salad sand. I drain the liquid and add chopped boiled egg, minced celery, sweet pickle relish, tiny cubed cheese, miracle whip

Comment

I use Honey Boy or Chicken of the sea canned salmon
                    I tried the salmon in a pouch an also tuna in a pouch and found it way to dry.

Comment

For cold salmon sandwiches I dice up celery, onion, some dill pickle, a little seasoning salt, some fresh cracked pepper, a bit of dry mustard powder, and mix with a little mayo. Good for stuffing half an avocado.
                      Now I want a stuffed avocado!

Comment

I use Clover Leaf.
                        nothing is wrong with the salmon, its mainly just that I'm not a huge fish eater, and don't like any fish to be too fishy tasting lol!
                        A balanced diet is a cookie in both hands

Comment

Love the sound of Ang's recipe. I'll hang on to that one.

MudderBear... good luck with your salmon. I used to hate canned fish but I've grown to love it! It's so good for you.
                          I love my computer because all my friends live inside it!

Comment

Working...
                          X