So excited

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So excited

just got back from chicken coop and there's life in them there eggs woo hoo had 2 broody hens. I tried everything to break them cause we were selling so many eggs couldn't keep up. They would not give it up so I gave each of them 7 eggs 1 week apart. Those 2 being broody triggered 2 more to sit. so split eggs between them. First clutch
    should hatch Monday (21 days) held each to my ear and they're pecking in 5. Hope they're not all roosters

What fun, rosie... We raised chickens many years ago, over 30 in fact, and we loved having the baby chicks running around the yard. We didn't sell our eggs but swapped them with friends for home-grown vegetables. I hope you'll share photos with us of your new brood when they break out of their shells.
    I love my computer because all my friends live inside it!

Comment

It is fun Chayote @ least to me. I have no way to post pics. I've often wished I did ( like now) my dgd might do it for me but she works and is starting nursing school so doubt she will be around much. I think they will be quite a mixture. since you know chicks we have australorp hens and 1 rooster (from Australia) barred rock hens and 1 rooster, buff orpington hens. The australorp breed is my fav. they are so gentle and quiet. All 4 broody hens are australorp.
      the chicks will not be going out for some time cause we have cats and don't think that would work very well. they catch birds all the time.

Comment

It is fun having chicks running around and if you are lucky watching then finally get out of the shell. I lived with my Aunt and Uncle on a farm for the summers and it was my job caring, watering, feeding and cleaning the chicken coop and yard when necessary. I gathered the eggs and got so good I rarely got pecked. She loved her chickens and I can tell you do also. They are so dang cute when they are little and some are beautiful when they are grown. Good luck on not all roosters. Even if no pictures I would love hearing what you end up with when they hatch.
        Heritic, rebel, a thing to flount,
        He drew a circle that shut me out.
        But love and I had the wit to win,
        We drew a circle that took him in.

Comment

2 have hatched and a 3rd is almost out. they are black with little golden patches on their breast. so they have australorp in them YAY
          ltb. that's a huge reason I like the australorp so much. I can take the eggs out while they are sitting and they cluck at me but never offer to peck. I do not like barred rocks or any barred chicken or rhode island reds. it has been my experience over 15 yrs. they are just MEAN.

Comment

It hurts, draws blood and makes you think fried chicken for dinner!!!

Comment

we had the red hens (called 'chooks' in Australia) and they were nasty, nasty, nasty. My neighboured laughed because she could hear me shouting at them to go away from me. They were rescued battery hens and, did I mention that they were nasty? They would literally attack me whenever I went into their yard to either feed them or collect the eggs. I asked John to move the nest box nearer to the fence so I could cut a hole through the wire to collect the eggs. He just laughed at the fact that I was so afraid of them. After a couple of years we found a sucker... correction, friend... to take them off our hands. I would love to have chooks again but it's too difficult to go away on holidays. Bad enough that we have a dog that lives on BBQ chicken and freshly cooked bacon...

Rosie... are you able to email photos? If so, I can do the rest for you.

Comment

LOL to ltb. YES YES they have drawn blood I smack the ever lovin out of them when they do that. OUCH OUCH AND OUCH

Chayote, I do not like red hens they are so mean. some love them but not me. I am not able to put anything on the puter. I am stuck in the olden days. I just have a flip phone (I hear you laughing I only use it to text. It does not hook to the puter.

the broodies got all in a hissy last eve. they all wanted the chicks. huge fight one baby was killed and an egg was crushed. the little one hatched this morning from the cracked egg. so we had 4 out of 7 hatch. I don't hear anything in the other 3 so will wait a few more days. then we have to do it all again next weekend. wish I had never given them eggs.

Comment

oh, no... Poor little chick. We had a special cage for the brooders (called clucky hens here) that had a wire division down the middle so the mothers couldn't attack each other.

I'm certainly not laughing at her phone, rosie... my husband has a flip phone. He drives me crazy with it because he won't learn how to use it. I mean, how difficult is it to use a phone that only makes calls, text messages and wakes you up in the morning? Very difficult, apparently because every night he hands it to me, putting on a sad face and saying "set the alarm for me, luv... I forget how to do it"...

Comment

i have see the cages that keep the mothers apart but we usually don't do it this way. I use my incubator when I get a broody, then when they hatch we stick em under her and she always accepts them. These had been sitting for so long when I gave them eggs I didn't know if they would stick with it and didn't want to hatch inside then have no mothers. the last 3 eggs that should have hatched yesterday are silent so probably not going to happen.
                    the second clutch is due to hatch next Monday, there are 6 eggs, one disappeared
                    my dgd said she would try to get here this coming weekend and take pics for me and put them on my puter so we shall see ???????? I love seeing everyones face & I want to put mine on here.

Comment

That is something nice I can look for. Pictures of you and your chicks!!

Comment

rosie... I didn't mean to separate the babies from the mother hen... I meant we that when we had two mother hens we put the divider between them. It avoids the mother hens fighting over the chicks and hurting them. Sorry, I wasn't clear how I wrote it before.

I'm looking forward to seeing the chicks (and of course, you ) when you're able to post your photos.

We've had baby everything here at some time or other... Tiff has always been an animal-lover. During the past 25 years we've had breeding guineapigs, breeding rabbits, chickens from purchased eggs, dogs and horses. The horses are almost done with though... Dolly is due to deliver her foal in November. As much as I love all the animals I'll be very happy when we have nothing else to feed but ourselves. Lucy is an old dog, the bluetongue is about 30 years old and then we are done... *phew* We'll be able to go away without finding someone to pet sit...
                        https://www.fg-a.com/animals/cartoon...e-run-2018.gif

Comment

oh I knew what you meant. I probably said it wrong. off to look up a bluetongue, don't know what they look like

Comment

sorry, rosie... it's a lizard. My son rescued it from a family who had trapped it from the wild and the lizard was very distressed. Charlie was only 8 years old at the time. He knew that the lizard was an adult and made the decision that they had kept it as a pet for too long for it to be released in the wild so he was partly released into our spacious aviary. Charlie is now over 30 and the lizard (known as Lizzie) is still thriving.

Comment

I AM DISGUSTED AND PISSED OFF. sorry but I am. 5 chicks hatched today from the 2nd clutch. all dead. that stupid no good da*n chicken smashed them all. she has been marked with a black band. she will NEVER sit another clutch in her life. AND I'm considering ending her life aaarrrrgggghhhhh

Chayote, I looked up dogs first and saw 2 kinds that have blue tongues, LOL then looked up lizards that is quite a cool story. I love it.
                              AND my dgd has not text me about coming I know her it does not surprise me think I will take my toys and go to bed.

Comment

Working...
                              X