Dental cleaning for dogs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dental cleaning for dogs

I remember someone talked about this a while back. Our 11 year old pug needs cleaning of his teeth. $435. If teeth need to be removed it will be more. He doesn't have a lot of teeth.
    Doesn't this seem high?
    Also, someone had told me about having it done without anesthesia. Is anyone familiar with that?
    Thanks

We have cats and most of them are 11 years old or older. Our vet doesn't like to put older animals under anesthesia unless there is no other way because of their kidneys. Some vets offer the gas option for putting animals to sleep but the place near us that does that is mega-expensive. I think the $435 is probably about right. Anytime they have to put an animal to sleep, it is costly. The drugs, the time spent, the recovery and maybe an overnight stay, depending on the animal.

Comment

I know my dd paid over a $1,000.00 the last time she had her Chinese Crested and Xolo's teeth cleaned. So that sounds about right. Her Chihuahua had to have his pulled because of a medical problem.. He has a long tongue so it looks funny hanging out all the time. I know the older the dog is the more dangerous it is putting them under anesthesia.

Comment

Funny you would ask that today. Tomorrow my dog is "going under" for dental cleaning and maybe teeth pulled if necessary. She said she would not know until she cleaned and could really see. All teeth seem solid she said but she gave me an estimate for the cleansing, extractions of 6 teeth, maybe, and the office cost of $300 dollars. She said it was high but would rather be high then low and give me a sticker shock. She said it could be higher but doubted it. My dog is 11 also and she said there is always risks but an infection was a higher risk from bad teeth.

So, at 7 A.M. we will be there and by 10 she should be done and I can bring her home between 1-3 in the afternoon. Honestly, I shopped around and have the one that liked the dog, talked plainly with me, answered all my questions without that condescending attitude some Vets can get, and the staff was respectful and talked with the dog. The place is very clean as are they, no odors even tho there were animals there so I hope I have done the best I can for the dog. She gave her the tetanus and heartworm shot so I saw how she was with her and the dog was comfortable there with everyone.

Good luck with whatever you do and choose. It is a hard one as the dogs/cats cannot say how the feel about someone or the connection like we can. I think you are probably in the range maybe for your area and what others charge but you could call other places and ask for a ballpark figure. Some will give it and some probably will not without seeing the dog/cat first.
        Heritic, rebel, a thing to flount,
        He drew a circle that shut me out.
        But love and I had the wit to win,
        We drew a circle that took him in.

Comment

LTB, do you mean $300 for everything?
          Did some research and found a small group that just does dental for pets. $215. Good reviews. Will give them a call.
          From what I have read, without anesthesia, the cleaning won't get under the gumline. Mostly surface only.
          Hate the anesthesia.
          Thanks for the input, Ladies.

Comment

Yup and that is putting her out also. So mine will be cleaned under the gum line. I asked her about the price being lower then the others and she said she wants people taking care of the animals, she only does small animals, and if the price is kept reasonable then they will bring them in when there is a problem. She owns the practice so she can set the prices. Now that did not include the original visits and the two shots and the blood test for heartworm. This a totally different procedure.

That would be a good judgment call checking with the other place. I hate the thought of anesthesia also but don't want dental problems that could have been avoided.

You are welcome and good luck.

Heritic, rebel, a thing to flount,
            He drew a circle that shut me out.
            But love and I had the wit to win,
            We drew a circle that took him in.

Comment

Working...
            X