Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• August 12th Dinner Post

Good Morning!

It is so nice and cool outside. Probably in the mid 60's and no humidity at all. The high will be a sunny 78 and the low of 65.

I had a friend call me last night around nine, asked me if it was ok if he could drop in for a second, I said yes and he brought me about two quarts of wedding soup. He said it was cooler and he wanted some good homemade soup so he made a lot of it so he could freeze some. Of course I tasted some and it is so dang good. I mean really good.

So, tonight we are have wedding soup, Cuban sandwiches and fruit salad.

What will be your Sunday evening meal?
    Heritic, rebel, a thing to flount,
    He drew a circle that shut me out.
    But love and I had the wit to win,
    We drew a circle that took him in.

Italian Wedding Soup does sound great as long as it is made with spinach and not kale. I remember years ago making a new soup recipe and it called for kale. I had never had kale and to me it ruined the soup. I haven't touched kale since then. Italian Wedding soup is so tasty - did he make the meatballs himself? Boy, I'd love a tried and true recipe for that soup.

No idea what is for dinner. Spent the entire day yesterday at my son's house helping take care of the two older kids (7 & 4) as their baby brother was in the hospital with a viral infection that brought on asthmatic symptoms. He stayed at the hospital again last night but is expected to come home today. I have plenty of items in the freezer so I will take something out.

Comment

Spinach it is Vera. Yes, he made the meatballs. I did ask for the recipe for it and he said he just does what his grandmother did, there is no recipe. I do pretty much the same with soup myself so I understand what he is saying.

But, if you really want a delicious recipe that I do follow a recipe for it is Meatball Soup from Emeril on the Food Network. It is not Italian Wedding Soup, just Meatball Soup. Google it up and try that. Oh my gosh, first time I made as it says and none made the freezer, second time I doubled it and my son stopped in and none of that made the freezer as he took half of and said it was the best. The third time I made it I tripled it and did manage getting part of that in the freezer. DGS just loves it and he does not like spinach at all but I chopped it pretty good so he paid no attention as he was busy eating it. I think it ranks up there with one of the best soups I have ever eaten and it freezes very well. I cook the pasta, a little undercooked, put some in a baggie and freeze it separate from the soup or you can just cook some when you want it. I always make at least a double recipe so hopefully I can make it into the freezer with some.

It has the meatballs and you make them, just follow the recipe even tho it sounds like they will not be as flavorful as you would like, they are. I have a friend who tasted mine, now makes it, and buys frozen meatballs but that is not something I have ever bought. I had some once and just thought they tasted like nothing I would ever buy. I know a lot do but just not for me.

If you ever make some you really should send me some so I can taste test and make sure it is the right recipe you found!! I do add extra liquid, biggest can of tomatoes. I think the broth in most soups is the best part.

Comment

Vera, how is your grandson? Breathing issues are so scary.

Comment

I am actually using the big clay roaster I got a few weeks ago. I have some bone in chicken breasts that need cooked so I though I am going to give it a shot. We have a wedding to go to today, apparently it is much less expensive to have a wedding on a Sunday and I know they are having bbq. I will eat before we go though because I am sure the sauce wont be sugar free.

Comment

Vera, Ina Garten ( Barefoot Contessa ) has a very good Italian wedding soup recipe. She uses chicken meat / sausage to make the meatballs and she uses spinach, but I am sure you could substitute Kale if you like Kale. The recipe is in her book " back to basics " and of course you can get it of the internet. It really is good.

Comment

Everything on the BGE, marinated steaks, bakes (taters) and sweet corn.

Comment

Larry is pulling something "beef" out of the freezer to grill. There is corn on the cob, potato salad, cottage cheese, tomatoes, and deviled eggs to go with.

Comment

I thought torturing was illegal Angie? That entire dinner sounds beyond good. Enjoy!!!

Comment

Vera, I know how you feel about kale. Iíve tried it in several things and so far the only thing it was decent is was colcannon and it would have been better without it. I think itís time for kale to be sent back to being plate decorations.

It is still hot, Iím beginning to think it will never cool off. I had hard time sleeping last night, just couldnít find a good position to sleep in. I normally sleep on my side and I canít do that for awhile. Oh well, suck it up buttercup! Mom is home from the hospital, but to be honest, I donít think sheís doing well at all. All we can do is try to make sure she takes care of herself.

Weíre having some Bertolli linguini shrimp scampi again tonight with garlic bread and watermelon.

Comment

Everyone's dinner sounds so good!

DH is exhausted.They've been working OT for the last 6 months,60 plus hours a week w/only 1 day off & thats if they're lucky.He was telling me that 1 guy that he works with has his wife to come pick him up after work because he doesnt trust his ability to drive due to his exhaustion.My thought is,if he cant drive himself home,how in the world is he trusting that he can do a good,safe & productive job at work!?& he's younger than DH!I miss DH so,when he's home he's sleeping,if he can sleep.I asked him why dont they hire more people & he said that they do but nobody hardly stays more than a week or 2.Now I see why.DH says its more for his retirement,& I said,yeah if you survive it!He just laughed.I said its not funny!

Just hypothetically but,I wonder if anyone's ever died from over work,it would be very hard to prove in a court of law i'm sure.But,I wonder if anyone's ever died of it & if it did stand up in a court of law.Something to think about anyway.My brain is in overdrive today!LOL

Edited for: I forgot to post whats for our dinner.I'm thinking biscuits & gravy(Its pretty cool out today,so i'll use the oven for the biscuits.),bacon,scrambled eggs,home fries & either cantaloupe or fresh sliced peaches.DH loves this kind of meal,i'm going to spoil him today! I dont want to wake him up,he's sleeping so peacefully.I'll just have it ready when he wakes up on his own tonight.
                      Last edited by D'sMom; 08-12-2018, 06:38 PM.

Comment

:adies, Kale is good in a smoothie but you have to use an acid to break it down like pineapple juice. I also add kale to my cabbage soup, it stays nice and firm and gives it a good texture, but those are the only things I use kale it, otherwise its garbage hehehehe

Comment

I tried making kale chips and was so surprised at how good it was. Now, it was homegrown and not real big like you get in the store. Bigger then spinach tho. I washed it, dried it on a dish towel, it must be dry. Tore into pieces, it will shrink, and spray lightly with olive oil and season with whatever you want. I did a light dusting of seasoned salt and I mean light. If not sprayed the seasonings will not stick and you need the oil for crisping it up. Put on parchment paper for spraying and seasoning on a tray. Bake at 400 for about 15 minutes, maybe longer, but check and make sure it is dry and crispy. It must be in a single layer or moisture is trapped and it will be soggy. I was really surprised at how good it was and did not taste tough or like anything except with what you season it with. Spicy, salty, savory or sweet, whatever you want. I could eat a lot of those chips, so good for you, easy making and you can make it how you want and not greasy. Remember, lightly spray, single layer.

If you try it let me know how you do or don't like it. I have a friend and he refuses eating vegetables. I took him some in an airtight container and he sat and ate every one and asked if I had brought more. He said he could eat a bushel of them. So, I showed him how he could make his own and he sill does.

Comment

I just canít bring myself to ruin a perfectly good smoothie with kale. The smoothies I make are a vanilla protein meal replacement with big frozen strawberries. No kale!

I tried kale chips, others raved about how tasty they were. Nope, definitely not for me. I just canít put that much work into something I donít like and I know Ken would hate them too. Iíll put the kale in the same pile as beets, cottage cheese and Brussels sprouts.

Comment

I tried Kale salad , deli at my grocery store sold it for a while. It was good, I liked it, but they don't offer it anymore, I guess not many people bought it.

Comment

Working...
                              X