It's Coming

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's Coming

Yesterday and today are prep days for Hurricane Florence coming up the East Coast. We are not in the bullseye but it will hit us. The debris on our beach will be tremendous. The debris all has to be picked up by hand. I was looking at a saying that is painted on my kitchen wall "Heaven is a little bit closer in a house by the water". In the next few days there will be one word that can easily be replaced. We do have a stand by generator (automatic) and two of my neighbors are all electric and don't have their cooktops hooked up to their portable generators. I have already informed them I will be doing Crockpot Beef Stew as I will have one plug that works in my kitchen when commercial power is lost. So they won't be without a meal. I also bought fresh brats yesterday to cook in beer with sauerkraut/onions/brown sugar mixture. Heck, they may even look forward to the power outage!! Our main fear is a tree coming down - not so much hitting our house as those are smaller but our secondary garage and our brick shed that matches our house and our beautiful, huge gazebo down by the water. I will literally be sick if a tree hits that. Yesterday, I moved our sports car from our secondary garage to the house garage and moved our cargo van to where the sports car was. If I had to lose one of them, it would be the van (2005 vs. 2017 model years). These next few days will be gut wrenching for sure. I will report back when this nightmare is over.

Stay safe, my friend. I'll be praying for you and your house. I'm watching the progress of the hurricane online.

(((((HUG)))))
    I love my computer because all my friends live inside it!

Comment

Stay safe! I know all to well about hurricanes. Check in when you can.

Comment

Wishing you safety and prayers for all in the path of this monster.

Comment

I hope all get moved into a safe area so there is no loss of lives. It will be scary for everyone and dangerous for all I am afraid. I hope all get through this safely.
          Heritic, rebel, a thing to flount,
          He drew a circle that shut me out.
          But love and I had the wit to win,
          We drew a circle that took him in.

Comment

Your in our thoughts. stay safe... Check back in with us when you can.

Comment

The latest update today, Wednesday, is that Hurricane Florence is going to take a more southern direction thus sparing us in Northern Virginia from devastation. I hope that is true. But my relief will become someone else's worry as it turns south which isn't a good feeling either. I had a big fear our beautiful gazebo down by the water was going to get a tree uprooted and hit or destroy it. If there is a lot of wind that could still be the case as the ground is soft with so much rain lately and the trees are 75-100 feet tall. I am keeping my fingers crossed and would be very happy to not have to deal with this storm.

Comment

It is weakening too. that is good news for everyone.

Comment

Has it reached land yet? Our news said it could be the worst hurricane in American history but I don't know if that's true or not

Comment

No, it has not made landfall yet, but it is not a cat 4 anymore, downgraded to a cat 2. I don't know if it will be the worst hurricane in history or not, but the media overdoes it sometime.

Comment

Thanks, Sabine. I think it's more that we haven't experienced a hurricane before so can't imagine what is actually happening. We have cyclones but only in the top end.

I'm glad it's downgraded to category 2 now. I had feared that it would hit land at category 5. Again I only have TV movies to go by.

Comment

Chay, it’s scary no matter what the category, we’ve experienced them all. The news just wants people living in the “path” to listen and be aware. If they say evacuate, you DO! We only were evacuated once, when we lived across the ocean/beach. Our last house was inland, so we never had to leave.

Comment

On one of our past hurricanes, there was a mandatory evacuation in our whole county and adjoining counties. We were told if we stayed and one of our kids got hurt, we could be prosecuted. We stayed right here. It's not like we live on the coast or anything. We live about 20 miles inland. The people who did evacuate, got caught on a highway, ran out of gas, had nowhere to stay. It was a royal mess. Our roads cannot handle that many people at one time. We didn't hear that order again.
                          Last edited by AllieK; 09-14-2018, 02:55 AM. Reason: wanted to add something

Comment

20 miles inland is not much when there is a hurricane coming. We have another tropical storm brewing in the gulf of Mexico right now, not sure if it will become a hurricane or not ?

Comment

I noticed on the map that I looked at that there were two more storms coming behind the big one...

Comment

Working...
                              X