Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• livetobake... recipe for my mother-in-law's secret dip

It's a delicious dip and easy to make.

1x 8oz packet of Philadelphia Original Creamed cheese... leave it out of the fridge so it will soften
    3 large eggs
    3 tablespoons white 1A sugar
    3 tablespoons brown malt vinegar
    3 tablespoons chopped red capsicum (you call them bell peppers)
    3 tablespoons chopped green capsicum
    3 tablespoons chopped spring onions (I think you call them green onions) ...these ones:
    https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....FL._SX355_.jpg

First break the eggs into a medium saucepan, add the sugar and vinegar. Whisk it until it's all mixed together.

Cook over a low heat, constantly stirring until it thickens, just before it turns into scrambled eggs. If it does start to get lumpy don't panic. Just get the whisk and beat it until it's smooth. Don't undercook it because the resulting dip will be so thin it won't stick to the pretzels.

While it's still hot, add the softened cheese. The heat of the egg mixture will help to soften the cheese so if it doesn't immediately mix in, leave it sit for a while and then mix it through.

Next cut up the two colours of capsicums and the spring onions (use mostly the green part). Toss all of that into the dip that you've cooked and stir it through.

That's it! Chill it in the fridge for a couple of hours before you want to serve it.

It should look like this:

https://i.imgur.com/44JalXc.jpg

* if you didn't cook it long enough it will be too thin... solution? ...eat it with a spoon

* if it's very thick and lumpy... solution? ...get a whisk and beat the heck out of it

* if it's all gone... solution? ...make a double lot next time
    I love my computer because all my friends live inside it!

Thank you so much Chayote. That sounds delicious with the crunchy peppers and onions and it looks like I should dip a pretzel into the monitor and taste test. Did she come up with this one her own because if she did she must have been a heck of a good cook. If she was smart enough that when she came across it she was a good cook that she knew good when she saw it. It is different but I bet so good and lot of protein which I like.

Thank you again.

Now, sleep my Friend, sleep.
    Heritic, rebel, a thing to flount,
    He drew a circle that shut me out.
    But love and I had the wit to win,
    We drew a circle that took him in.

Comment

That picture was the dip I was eating for my supper.

Sleep? ...I wish.

Comment

OK, what does "two colours of capsicums" mean?

Comment

capsicums are sold in four different colours depending on the rate they ripen. These are the ones you need for this recipe:

https://3.imimg.com/data3/VN/HF/MY-1...um-250x250.jpg

Comment

Amazing how exactly the same foods are called by two such different names. I just love learning the differences.
            Heritic, rebel, a thing to flount,
            He drew a circle that shut me out.
            But love and I had the wit to win,
            We drew a circle that took him in.

Comment

Originally posted by Chayote View Post
              capsicums are sold in four different colours depending on the rate they ripen. These are the ones you need for this recipe:

https://3.imimg.com/data3/VN/HF/MY-1...um-250x250.jpg
              Oh Ok, That is what I call bell peppers. I thought you meant the hot peppers

Comment

Green onions = scallions.
                "Can't go wrong with cream cheese" is my motto.

Comment

MaryJo... you should try this dip if you like creamed cheese. It's very smooth-tasting... not sharp at all. I love it. I always make it when we have a party but occasionally, like last week, I'll make some just to have for my suppers.

Green onions = scallions, spring onion, shallots... so many vegetables are called by different names. That's how my username happened... I had a friend who couldn't believe we didn't have chayotes because they were so easy to grow but when she showed me what they looked like, I realised that they are what we call chokos. That's what I should grow... why didn't I think of that before? I'll have to find out where I can find a plant.

Comment

Working...
                  X