Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

THIS is why I complain about So Cal traffic!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THIS is why I complain about So Cal traffic!

Iím sure youíve probably seen my posts where Iíve complained about So Cal traffic. I have the HUM by Verizon in my car and this is the report for October 2018, showing miles driven, speeds, idling time and actual driving time. As you can see, it takes for freaking ever to get anywhere around here.

Driving History
    Distance
    380 miles

Idle Time
    6h 58m

Trip Time
    23h 37m

Avg MPG
    21 MPG

Avg Speed
    16 MPH

Max Speed
    77 MPH

Oh, but the restaurants!

Comment

Which makes me so thankful that I live in a very unpopulated area of Texas

Comment

I can say the same thing about San Antonio, bumper to bumper traffic, especially in the morning and late afternoon as people go to work / home. And it is getting worse by the day as we have more people coming in from other states, especially California and Colorado. But since I don't work anymore I pretty much can pick the times I have to go on the express way. Would not want to live in a small town.

Comment

Another reason we didnít want to live in the city, traffic and it grew and is growing like mad. The highways and interstate are a pain during the week. We try and get city shopping done and errands run during the week, itís not as bad. We have no traffic where we live.

We rememer the traffic in CA and VA, terrible!

Comment

Bean - Traffic hasn't gotten any better in Virginia. I live 50 miles outside Washington, DC. Interstate 95 both north and south - well, pack your patience. If we are lucky, we can drive it in 1 hour, 15 minutes. If you have any bump in the road you are looking at 3-3 1/2 hours. There are certain things you give up living in a rural area and also living in the city - it's a choice and you live with it.

Comment

Originally posted by smokey View Post
              Oh, but the restaurants!
              There is that Smokey! There are only 2 Iíll really miss when we move...Lazy Dog Restaurant and Grimaldiís, and they might start expansion in WA. The Lazy Dog near us is about 6-1/2 miles, it takes 40 minutes to get there.

Vera, it used to be just ďrush hourĒ traffic that was bad, but now itís terrible about 20 hours a day. Our surface streets are packed and donít even talk about the freeways! We have a lot of big companies in about a 10 mile radius: SpaceX, Tesla, Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Honda, DC Marvel Studios, Lakers and Clippers training facilities, and let us not forget the biggest cluster **** (unprintable word!), Los Angeles International Airport. Weíre about 4 miles from it, and Iíd rather take a beating than drive into that mess. Iíll happily pay a shuttle, Uber, Lyft, whatever to avoid that.

The area we want to move to is close enough to Seattle that we can get there by ferry easily, but far enough from it that you donít get the nasty traffic. We plan to move to Whidbey Island in WA. You can take the ferry or drive over Deception Pass to get to the mainland. There are some nice towns there and Oak Harbor has everything you need on a daily basis. It really reminds me of the beach town I grew up in years ago near here. It bears no resemblance to it now! As weíve reached our 70ís our need for big city entertainments has pretty much gone away. We live maybe 12-15 miles from downtown Los Angeles and we never go there!

Comment

Originally posted by Vera View Post
                Bean - Traffic hasn't gotten any better in Virginia. I live 50 miles outside Washington, DC. Interstate 95 both north and south - well, pack your patience. If we are lucky, we can drive it in 1 hour, 15 minutes. If you have any bump in the road you are looking at 3-3 1/2 hours. There are certain things you give up living in a rural area and also living in the city - it's a choice and you live with it.
                Vera, it was horrible 16 years ago, I can only imagine it now. We lived in Fredericksburg and Scott worked at The Pentagon. His commute every day was terrible. He got flats on the interstate a couple times. Sometimes he took the train, sometimes slugged (I hated when he did that)!

Comment

I lived in a small ( 15 000 people ) town several years ago for 3 years. The longest 3 years of my life, I hated every minute of it. 2 grocery stores, 1 small Walmart store, a couple of fast food places. No nice restaurant. 3 doctors , small hospital. No, that is not how I want to live. I take the traffic anytime over a small town that has little to offer. Especially when it comes to medical care. As we are getting older having up to date medical care becomes so much more important and I wouldn't like to have to take a ferry to get there. But everybody thinks differently about how they live or where they want to live.
                  Like Vera already posted, it's a choice you make, live with it.

Comment

The town we want to move to has everything we use here, including some good restaurants. It also has a Naval air base. Itís an easy drive to the places that arenít there (Costco, Samís) and to other larger towns. Shopping malls arenít important to us, we order online a lot. I donít mind a drive to get somewhere at all, what I hate is being in the car and not moving.

One of the the big things I miss here is the ability to take the old Sunday Drive. We used to do that all the time. Now it takes hours to go 40 miles, and thereís not much to see but other cars. By the time we get home we feel wiped out. In WA the travel and sightseeing options for day trips are abundant.

Comment

you are allowed ( retired military ) to use the naval air base ?

Comment

Bean - I am now north of Fredericksburg in Stafford. The VRE train station at Brooke is 4 miles from me and many people do take the train. However, when people ask me where I worked, I tell them I used to work at the Pentagon (Navy Dept) when I lived in Northern Virginia. However, I am still on maternity leave and my son is now 40! People always get a kick out of that. If you have ever been to Aquia Landing Park (formerly Aqua Po Beach), I am next to that on the Potomac River.

Comment

Vera, yes I know Stafford. We have friends who still live there. I remember going to a party there on a Saturday and the traffic was backed up forever. We were so happy we lived in Fredericksburg. I hear that has really exploded as well. Loved living there. Three years wasnít long enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Sabine View Post
                            you are allowed ( retired military ) to use the naval air base ?
                            No, no military for us. Ken was too deaf during Vietnam to get drafted into the Army. He tried enlisting I the Air Force and they wouldnít take him either. He wasnít exactly heartbroken about it.

Comment

If you were military you could use the commissary to buy your groceries and the base exchange for other non food items. Some things are cheaper ,some are not.

Comment

Working...
                              X