Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you feed your dog?

Trying to decide if I should change.

Abby weighs 15 lbs and we feed her Cesar dog food with some sliced turkey on it. She also gets Begginí Strips.

Comment

I don't feed my dog any canned or dry food that can be bought at a grocery store and absolutely no treats from the store!!!!! A lot of dogs treats are made in China, and have been recalled because their tainted, etc. Just like our food, I check the label, if it's made in China it doesn't touch my grocery cart! We dehydrate chicken breast slices and make our own jerky for our dog, she loves it. When my son goes hunting we'll also dehydrate duck and goose for treats. My husband deer hunts so we'll make some venison jerky for us and some for the dog.
      Dogfoodadvisor,com rates almost all available canned and dry foods and also gives out safety alerts and recalls.

Comment

Lucy was always grossly overweight and smelled bad. Took her off dried food and the change was amazing. I don't think she could digest the dry food that she inhaled rather than chewed. Changed her over to BBQ chicken and bacon after she rejected just about everything else. Her weight reduced and she smells so much better.
        I love my computer because all my friends live inside it!

Comment

My chihuahua is the whopping 4 lbs and 17 yrs old. She has maybe 4 teeth left. I give her the canned cat food, and I also get the dry cat food from Aldi, its very tiny pieces so she has no problem eating it. She once ate one of those crazy large Toblerone chocolate bars, I think it was 4 lbs of chocolate. Crusty old dog can eat anything.

Comment

Well, we don't have a dog, but my son & his wife feed their weiner/pug Missy some special organic food from the vet, along with chicken or turkey they cook, treats are dried liver or duck, celery & green beans. Guess she's one healthy puppy!
            A balanced diet is a cookie in both hands

Comment

We also check to make sure ours is made in the USA. We feed the boys Canidae All Stages. We get it at the pet store, itís what the breeder started them on and we stayed with it. Also, Dentals from the vet, itís hard and crunchy to help keep their teeth clean. Works here.

Comment

Originally posted by muzette7 View Post
                My chihuahua is the whopping 4 lbs and 17 yrs old. She has maybe 4 teeth left. I give her the canned cat food, and I also get the dry cat food from Aldi, its very tiny pieces so she has no problem eating it. She once ate one of those crazy large Toblerone chocolate bars, I think it was 4 lbs of chocolate. Crusty old dog can eat anything.
                Did your vet say your dog should/could eat cat food? I was told by my vet that there is too much protein in cat food and it can be harmful to their liver and kidneys. On the flip side, cats should never eat dog food because there is not enough protein in dog food.

Comment

Originally posted by AllieK View Post

Did your vet say your dog should/could eat cat food? I was told by my vet that there is too much protein in cat food and it can be harmful to their liver and kidneys. On the flip side, cats should never eat dog food because there is not enough protein in dog food.

I also heard cat food can tear a dogs stomach up. Not sure if thatís true or not?

Comment

Thanks,All. I had a 20 percent off coupon so got a lot. Honest Kitchen was already 20 percent off. Soooo, we bought our usual Orijen Senior, Honest Kitchen, and some Stella & Chewy. Also bought treats. we'll see.

Comment

I'm out of the ones that we give our dog to help clean her teeth(Cant remember the name of it now tho!)For snacks she likes Ol' Roy Multi Flavored Biscuits.The vet told DH that the older a dog gets, the less protein they need/ require & it's hard on their digestive tract(especially beef), so DH is changing it up to what the vet suggested.(DH always get her food & snacks.)I haven't had to buy food for our animals since around the time of my cat passing,DH wont let me buy it because of my back & shoulder problems,yes i'm lucky that way!He's very thoughtful.
                      Last edited by D'sMom; 11-09-2018, 11:03 PM.

Comment

D's Mom, I think you mean Science Diet dt. Not sure why you need a prescription. Our two love them.

Comment

Originally posted by smokey View Post
                          D's Mom, I think you mean Science Diet dt. Not sure why you need a prescription. Our two love them.
                          Yes smoky its Science Diet,thank you.Its not prescribed,you don't need a prescription to buy it.The vet told DH at our dog's last appt.to switch it up w/the S.D.
                          Last edited by D'sMom; 11-09-2018, 10:50 PM.

Comment

In Montana I needed a prescription. I could get it at the vet's. PetSmart had a section of prescription foods. I could get it there but only with a prescription.
                            Maybe states are different.

Comment

No, I know cat food is not the best, but she is older than dirt with just a few teeth, I just give her what she likes. I do get this benefull stuff in a pouch thats kind of soft, she like that too.

Comment

Working...
                              X