Icky Topic So Sorry

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Icky Topic So Sorry

Sorry about the topic but I could sure use some help. My toilet is flushing slow. Sometimes it is ok and then I am plunging like crazy, pouring 2 buckets full of hot water down when I flush it one right after the other and then it flushes ok for 4-6 flushes and here we go again. If I can avoid the price of a plumber and figure it out that would be great as I have had so many big ticket expenses lately. I can get a 5 foot snake made for the toilet from Wally World and was wondering if anyone has used one or has a better idea?

Thanks for any help.
    Heritic, rebel, a thing to flount,
    He drew a circle that shut me out.
    But love and I had the wit to win,
    We drew a circle that took him in.

I've used a snake many times (I had big poopers) and it always did the trick. There must be something stuck in there!
    "What fresh hell is this?" Dorothy Parker

Comment

You have tree roots in the line, you need someone to auger it out at least to get it working again and use the root killer on a schedule. A 5 ft snake wont fix it. If you have a clean out trap in the yard that probably needs rooted out too.

Comment

Are your other drains slow too? Do you have a septic tank?

Comment

Nope everything is fine. Bathroom sink, tub, kitchen, washer all ok. Well, so far. No septic. No trees in front yard or side, neighbor has none in front or side yard, across the street neighbor does but that is a big distance away. Just the toilet as I said and sometimes is fine. Driving me nuts!!!

Comment

Roots in the sewer, trees can be far away and still grow into the lines. Your other drains will work fine, but the solids, toilet paper and you know other stuff get stuck in the line because of the roots so just the potty will go slow.

Comment

I can ask my son if he can offer you any ideas? he's an apprenticing plumber. I won't be able to ask him until a bit later or tomorrow tho.
              A balanced diet is a cookie in both hands

Comment

Thanks Mudder. That would be great.

Comment

I'm not an expert by any means. Use the snake and see if there is any plug in the pee trap in the toilet. the plug could be in the T, where that pipe joins another pipe. I have a septic tank, but the things that make my toilets flush slow is usually a back up of water from the end of the drain pipe. Also, you might want to make sure your vent pipe doesn't have something in it. Is your toilet tank filling up properly?

Comment

The thing that came to my mind was how many toilets do you have ? If you have more then one toilet are all of them slow and get stopped up ?

Comment

Yes Allie it is filling properly as that was one of the first things I checked. If I pour 2 8 quart pans of water down when I flush it then all the water goes down and will for the next several flushes and then starts going slow again. I will get a snake tomorrow and a new plunger as this one is old and may have cracks that is letting the air through when I use it. If I can avoid the plumber's bill I will if not then I guess I will sell my right kidney on e-bay so I can pay him. If I had another toilet that worked I would not care but as this is the only one I really need solving the problem. I asked DGS is he accidently knocked or dropped something down into the toilet and he says no so I just am frustrated. How would I check the vent pipe? Thanks for all the suggestions.

Comment

the vent pipe usually goes up to the roof. It should be right near your toilet, unless they tee'd into another pipe somewhere. Oh, and you dont' have to have a tree nearby to have tree roots. Certain kinds of trees send their roots a long ways off from the main root system
                        Last edited by AllieK; 11-09-2018, 08:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X