Frozen pie dough?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frozen pie dough?

Just wondering,do you make,then freeze your pie dough ahead of time for your holiday pie baking usage?If you do make it ahead of time then freeze it,how does it turn out for you when you thaw it out?I've not had very good luck doing so,it seems watery & takes on a sort of "gray" color that's looks like nothing close to appealing!If you do have good luck with it,what's your secret to tasty,yummy looking,thawed pie dough?Thanks!

I just buy the stuff in the box in the refrigerator isle lol.

Comment

I have never made pie dough from scratch and I am not planning on starting now. Like Muzette I buy the Pillsbury pie dough in the box. Nobody has ever complained .

Comment

Pie dough and I came to an agreement many years ago. I wonít try to make it and it wonít embarrass me by coming out horrible. If Iím making something that requires a pie crust, Pillsbury is perfect for me. I use it for quiches frequently. I rarely, if ever, make homemade dessert pies. My good friends Sara Lee and Mrs. Smith do all the work for me.

Comment

Originally posted by CharleneG View Post
          I rarely, if ever, make homemade dessert pies. My good friends Sara Lee and Mrs. Smith do all the work for me.

I never got the hang of pie making. I do try even though they rarely turn out.
          But speaking of premade pies, what are your favorite grocery store bought ones? I like the Claim Jumper brand. I like the berry ones but I recently bought a lemon meringue one that was pretty dang good.

http://prod.shopwell.com/gladson/007...01036_full.jpg

Comment

I have never seen that brand in my grocery store

Comment

I'm pretty sure you can freeze it but it must be double and triple wrapped to keep the odors out. You can even roll the dough out and put in pan and freeze. Personally, unless you just cannot stand store bought crust, use the already made or the frozen sheets.
              Try freezing one and see how it turns out

Comment

Just bake the pie and freeze it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hayburner View Post

I never got the hang of pie making. I do try even though they rarely turn out.
                  But speaking of premade pies, what are your favorite grocery store bought ones? I like the Claim Jumper brand. I like the berry ones but I recently bought a lemon meringue one that was pretty dang good.

http://prod.shopwell.com/gladson/007...01036_full.jpg
                  I agree, those Claim Jumper pies are so good! Mrs. Smithís, Sara Lee and the Safeway/Vons store brand Signature select are all very good. Our favorite pies here are pumpkin. We could honestly eat pumpkin pie every single day and not get tired of it. Ken loves Apple pie, I can take it or leave it. I love blackberry or boysenberry pies, custard pies and the occasional banana cream pie.

Comment

Well it looks like i'm a member of a dieing breed of homemade pie crust makers then!
                    Yes Pillsbury's good in a pinch but my Mama's recipe & texture of crust is the best!!& after years of those my sisters & I can always taste the difference.Trust me,we've(my sis's & I) all tried to fool each other w/the premade stuff,no fooling us! lol Oh & in a pinch,Edwards has a very yummy pecan pie!ummhumm.

Charlene I know those same girls,i've hung with them before to!

Comment

I buy frozen pastry in square sheets. It tastes good and saves a lot of time and effort. I buy frozen puff pastry, sprinkle the pastry sheet with grated cheese and bake them in the oven. Great finger food at a party.

I'm not a big fan of pie with the exception of Lemon Meringue. We are going to Adelaide for Christmas and I know my daughter will make little individual lemon meringue pies because she knows that I love them.
                      I love my computer because all my friends live inside it!

Comment

I have to make it because I have to be gluten free. I always made it before that, too. It's now a juggling act of ingredients because the flours I use don't behave like regular flour at all. I always double or triple the recipe and freeze super well-wrapped discs to use later. It's chicken pot pie weather!!
                        "What fresh hell is this?" Dorothy Parker

Comment

Working...
                        X