Mudder/ Peameal question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mudder/ Peameal question

So I have a pork loin curing for Sunday dinner. I have two options, I can smoke it like a Canadian bacon, or roast it like a peameal roast. What the heck do you serve for sides with a peameal roast?

You said you have a pork loin so why are you calling it a peameal? Never heard of peameal. Wouldn't you just make sides compatible with a pork loin roast?

Comment

For a pork loin - I usually get 2 small ones, cut them in half and stuff them with my usual stuffing mix then roast for about 30 minutes - delish. Usually I tie them so they don't fall apart. Any sides you want

Comment

It was a pork loin, I cured it. Now I can smoke it for Canadian bacon, or roll it in cornmeal so its like peameal bacon. It no longer tastes like a pork loin.

Comment

Isn't that what Chayote buys muz? I think the last one she got was so fatty she said never again but usually Chay and John really like them. If I remember correctly there was some talk on here about how fatty it would be but she cooks it on her BBQ so the fat melts away. Being a pork loin starting out yours will be nice and lean.

I am thinking baked apples or applesauce, sweet potatoes, butternut squash. A pan of roasted root vegetables sounds really good and would be colorful.

Now I am getting hungry!!
          Heritic, rebel, a thing to flount,
          He drew a circle that shut me out.
          But love and I had the wit to win,
          We drew a circle that took him in.

Comment

If I remember correctly, Chayote was talking about pork belly. The word peameal or peameal bacon I have never heard of. What is the difference between peameal bacon and cured bacon? I just have no clue.

Comment

Well the peameal bacon kinda taste like corned beef, but its pork. If you smoke it then it tastes kind of hammy. Of course I never had the real stuff from Canada, just the stuff I have been making homemade.

Comment

peameal bacon aka Canadian bacon is cured pork loin rolled in cornmeal. Most times it is sliced and fried like regular bacon. I've taken to roasting whole piece, which most times are smallish. I make 1/4 inch slices, 1 inch apart in top and then brush with combo of maple syrup & dijon mustard, topped with a sprig of rosemary. Baste every now and again. It is heavenly! Great done on the BBQ as well.
                I like to have sides of baked beans and scalloped potatoes, or the cheesy hash brown potatoes. Really, any sides would be good with this, as I do find as well that is more like a ham taste than bacon.
                A balanced diet is a cookie in both hands

Comment

So it is Canadian in origin. No wonder I wasn't familiar with it. It does sound pretty tasty though. Muzette7 and MudderBear - thanks for explaining.

Comment

Working...
                  X