Ice Storm

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ice Storm

As you may know our area had a polar vortex last week and we were inundated with snow. With the windchill it felt like -40F on last Monday it felt like +46.4F. Today (2 days later) we are having an ice storm and it feels like 21.2F. I'm surprised I'm not sick.

My car however, does not like the cold so I'll probably have to get my third boost this year

Ruby,

I was having trouble with my battery so I bought a battery charger and it paid for itself the very next day. Car would not start, pulled out of the back, opened hood, connected cables onto battery and there ya go!!!! Recharged it and 2 days later did it again. That time, after 4 times of not starting, I decided maybe it was not the cold but my battery so off I went and mechanic said it was not holding a charge, needed new one. Through last week my car started every time but will still not be without one now.

I hope your car starts for you but maybe checking and seeing if it is holding a charge might be good and alternator also. Just a thought as I would not want you stranded at some point in time.
    Heritic, rebel, a thing to flount,
    He drew a circle that shut me out.
    But love and I had the wit to win,
    We drew a circle that took him in.

Comment

Weather sure has been going us a run for our money!
      Ruby...our DD lives in Toronto as well. She is flying south in early a.m. so I hope this weather clears up!
      A balanced diet is a cookie in both hands

Comment

Stay Safe Rub.. We just went through that last week (a week ago today for 2 days). Our high both days was -23 F. and wind chills 50 below. It was really horrible.. Ice storms are very frightening.. We were due one last night but thankfully it didn't happen. They were talking 1/4 inch of ice glaze by the morning commute. It ended up raining and staying in the mid 30's.. glad they were wrong.

Comment

Thanks all. We did get ice in my area but not what was predicted. A city 40 miles away got it much worse but they always do. We are in the "banana belt" when it comes to ice. LTB I have one of those but I had put it away somewhere safe. Just found it today and recharged it. I'll carry it with me from now on. Usually the service truck will tell you if there is a problem with the battery but they haven't as yet.

Comment

You are very welcome. I am happy hearing you are carrying your charger with you. It is scary getting stranded if a car won't start as roadside help can sometimes take hours and that can be dangerous in cold weather or even hot.

Comment

All is well except tonight and tomorrow we are to have another heavy snowstorm. Oh well, got all my shopping done yesterday so do not have to venture out. I will go out each day to run my car though

Comment

yup....and DD is supposed to be flying back from Florida tomorrow
                we up north could expect up to 30cms snow
                A balanced diet is a cookie in both hands

Comment

MB that would be bad. She might not be able to land if it is a bad as they say

Comment

Rube, you could also plug your car in at night and it would probably start better in the am. We do that when it's really cold and it gives the car a head start.

Comment

Perfect idea Genia except I live in a co-op and have nowhere to plug it in. My previous parking spot I could have plugged it in

Comment

AHHH the gentle tinkle of ice hitting my apartment window. Glad I'm indoors

Comment

AHHH, the roaring sound of wind howling around my house and as the temperature drops the rain is spitting ice now. I am glad I am indoors also and am not going out.

Comment

Just had a friend call as they had stopped at a shopping mall after work to pick up a few things. They have to take public transit. Most of the mall was closed due to the storm yet they decided to get a few things. They couldn't go across the parking lot to get to their bus as it was too windy and too icy. Eventually the wind slowed down and they were able to get home. Why would someone do that? The weather network was telling everyone if you can stay home then stay home. I don't understand

Comment

Working...
                            X