Decorative Cotton plants?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decorative Cotton plants?

In my front flower beds I am going to plant Decorative Cotton plants.Have any of you planted them before?I just love them for their asthetic value.I hope they are good with our climate here in Mo. Tho it doesn't matter,i'm still going to try.

During my first visit to the US my friend showed me a cotton field as I'd never seen one. It was ready for harvest and I took one boll just to see how it grows, etc. When it was time to come home I didn't want to leave it so I removed the seeds and put them into a film canister. This of course is a big no-no coming back into Australia but they weren't detected and I wanted to have a go at planting them. That was about 20 years ago and those seeds are still in the film canister in my camera case. I suspect they are too old to plant now but I've got nothing to lose by trying.

Thanks for reminding me about them, D'Mom
    I love my computer because all my friends live inside it!

Comment

Chay,
      I hope that you do get to plant the seeds & that they thrive wonderfully in your garden.They're very beautiful & different.I've been meaning to plant some for years,but this is the first year that I've really felt like doing so.

Also on my agenda i'm planning on planting a grape arbor(finally getting to finish it!Its a process for sure!)2 peach trees(freestones),a cherry tree(a cherry tree in blossom is one of the most glorious sites!Dont you agree?),a raised strawberry bed made with cinder blocks about 21/2-3' tall & about 8-10' long & 3-4' wide(wide enough to be able to reach across & weed if need be,w/o much effort.I'm filling it with my rock collection first so that it doesn't require a lot of soil.Oh & also a blackberry patch.On the other side of my lol "secret garden" i'm wanting to plant a rose garden with climbing & bush roses as well.DH asked me to save him some room to plant an irrigated pond & get some fish to fill it.Now,i'm not clinically crazy lol, trying to do it all in one fell swoop,my secret garden has been in the planning & planting stages for years.I almost forgot the sweet pea plants,that will be climbing the front lawn lamp & by the back gate.I love gardening!

My GM had some heirloom Spanish tomato seeds that lasted for years.They were very old & she planted them each year & got abundant yields off of each plant.You might be surprised,your seeds just might succeed!Those were the most yummy tomatoes I've ever eaten.
      Last edited by D'sMom; 02-11-2019, 09:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by D'sMom
        Chay,
        I hope that you do get to plant the seeds & that they thrive wonderfully in your garden.They're very beautiful & different.I've been meaning to plant some for years,but this is the first year that I've really felt like doing so.

Also on my agenda i'm planning on planting a grape arbor(finally getting to finish it!Its a process for sure!)2 peach trees(freestones),a cherry tree(a cherry tree in blossom is one of the most glorious sites!Dont you agree?),a raised strawberry bed made with cinder blocks about 21/2-3' tall &about 8-10' long & 3-4' wide(wide enough to be able to reach across to weed w/o a lot of effort ,i'm filling it in with my rock collection first so that it doesn't require a lot of soil.Oh &also a blackberry patch.On the other side of my lol "secret garden" i'm wanting to plant a rose garden with climbing & bush roses as well.DH asked me to save him some room to plant an irrigated pond & get some fish to fill it.Now,i'm not clinically crazy lol, trying to do it all in one fell swoop,my secret garden has been in the planning & planting stages for years.Also I cant wait till the viney sweet peas grow up so that they will climb the yard lamp in the front yard & then some climbing by the back gate.I love gardening!
        I've ordered two grape vines but they aren't ready to be put in yet. One is a sultana vine and the other is called Cotton Candy which has slightly pink grapes that are sweet. They are hard to find around here.

John's cherry tree didn't do great after planting it in May, 2018. It got hit with a couple of flying pests and although I've treated it, it needs to be pruned back. My neighbour, Gordon is my gardening guru and he's going to prune it for me soon. He does my roses as well.

I've cleaned out our elevated garden with a view to planting thornless blackberries, raspberries and blueberries. I'll put some strawberries in and this time we will net the whole garden because of the birds.

Funny that we are both growing sweetpeas... They were my Mum's second favourite flowers and I want them to place them on her grave. Did you know that there's a perennial sweetpea? It only comes in two shades of pink and white and they are a more robust vine, stems and flowers. We grew them last year but in the wrong position and they didn't attach to the lattice. I'll plant them on the opposite side of our block this year.

We don't have peaches but we do have an apricot and two plums. I got around 6 dozen apricots a few weeks ago... they were amazing. No plums but fingers crossed for this year. I have one more apricot tree on my list of trees to plant... like the grapes it's also called Cotton Candy and are apparently sweeter is great for making jam (not that I could stop eating them fresh from the tree).

Our gardens were all established together. The yard at the front of the house went from a barren block of dried mud to a wonderful playground for Immy and Andrew and a narrow orchard along the boundary fence. Forgot to mention the passionfruit vine... it's doing very well and will hopefully grow some fruit this year.

Sounds like we should become garden buddies...
        Last edited by Chayote; 02-11-2019, 04:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by D'sMom View Post
          Chay

My GM had some heirloom Spanish tomato seeds that lasted for years.Those were the most yummy tomatoes I've ever eaten.I hope that your seeds thrive!
          We grew tomatoes when we first got the elevated garden but to be honest they were not worth the amount of water they needed. We harvested about 15kg of ripe to eat and green to pickle but our water bill went up by almost $400. Makes for expensive tomatoes. We didn't plant them at all last year. Gordon will no doubt share his with us. He planted out his vegetable garden enough for two people and then his wife died just before Christmas. He grows the very best asparagus I've ever tasted.

Comment

Working...
          X