such a relief!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• such a relief!

We now have airconditioning so I may live beyond the end of the day. I know an airconditioner is a luxury item but wow... it's not easy to go without.
    I love my computer because all my friends live inside it!

In the summer, I go from air conditioned house to air conditioned car. I hate the humidity. It just zaps your energy. Glad you are now cool. Does your new system cool the whole house or just one zone of the house like your main living area? Enjoy your new environment.

Comment

g'day, Vera... just the main living area. When it's too hot in the bedrooms I just sleep on the couch in the loungeroom We probably only get about 20 nights a year when it stays hot all night and that's not worth the expense of airconditioning the whole house.

Comment

Good news, Chayote. We stayed in Arizona one summer. Horrible. People had little shoes for their dogs so the macadam didn't burn their feet. Dog's feet.

Comment

We had three central air units in FL. Only kept the main floor cool, the others were on but wed crank when we were on those floors. But they still run almost year round. We dont have AC here. Dont need it, open the windows and enjoy the fresh air. So nice not hearing that air run all the time. We had break downs in FL and of course no power during/after hurricanes. We know how nasty it is without. Just Gag! Do not miss that one bit! Enjoy Chay!

Comment

I believe that you will notice a huge difference with new windows that are thermal and the new air conditioner. It will stay cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter. I know I sure did when I had new windows, doors, furnace and AC put in one summer. Huge difference and the bill dropped by about $40 a month and still is lower even with rate increases.

I hope your breathing improves as well as the comfort level for both of you.
            Heritic, rebel, a thing to flount,
            He drew a circle that shut me out.
            But love and I had the wit to win,
            We drew a circle that took him in.

Comment

it's beautiful inside... melting outside. It's worse in Adelaide where Andrew lives. People are 'playing' with the heat by cooking eggs on their driveway and a few people have baked biscuits/cookies inside their cars. I can't walk into our playground because the synthetic grass is way too hot. The forecast is for an overnight low of 27/81 degrees. I'll need to water the garden tonight and in the morning. Summer officially ended yesterday but I don't think the Sun got the memo. Maybe I should have followed Garfield's lead...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_0I1KSrwvJE...gega100815.gif

Comment

It's February in Texas and it has been extra wet for months. We have to run the a/c just to lower the humidity so things don't start mildewing and smelling bad. I'd never make it without a/c. Where I live, it is either blowing too hard to open windows, raining, so cannot open windows, or so still you cannot breath. Add that to mosquitoes, so no...........I could not live without a/c
                Last edited by AllieK; 03-01-2019, 06:26 PM.

Comment

I live about 2 hrs from the texas coast and like alliek we could not live without A/C. We have a 2 story house and have 3 units. 2 run in the hot weather all the time. 3rd one only runs upstairs if we have company . Cant remember the last time we had the windows open. Just not practical. Can't have the windows open at night, because if we do we can't set our alarm system.

Comment

Originally posted by AllieK View Post
                    It's February in Texas and it has been extra wet for months. We have to run the a/c just to lower the humidity so things don't start mildewing and smelling bad. I'd never make it without a/c. Where I live, it is either blowing too hard to open windows, raining, so cannot open windows, or so still you cannot breath. Add that to mosquitoes, so no...........I could not live without a/c
                    I need the air conditioning for the same reason. I have asthma and it seems to be getting worse as I get older. It's triggered by pollen, dust and humidity so I really need an air conditioner with a good filter. We don't have an issue with rain because it just doesn't rain a lot here.

Comment

Originally posted by Sabine View Post
                      I live about 2 hrs from the texas coast and like alliek we could not live without A/C. We have a 2 story house and have 3 units. 2 run in the hot weather all the time. 3rd one only runs upstairs if we have company . Cant remember the last time we had the windows open. Just not practical. Can't have the windows open at night, because if we do we can't set our alarm system.
                      If my memory serves me correct you're in San Antonio, aren't you? I have been there and remember how hot it was. I think the only time I felt cool was when we were at The Alamo.

We rarely open our windows for much the same reason although we don't have an alarm system. They all have key locks and we have security doors on all four exits. In nice weather we can open the main doors and just leave the screen doors locked.

For most of our marriage I wanted to live in the two storey house but now I'm happy that we don't. We would have needed to move about ten years ago had we had stairs.

Comment

Originally posted by Chayote View Post

If my memory serves me correct you're in San Antonio, aren't you? I have been there and remember how hot it was. I think the only time I felt cool was when we were at The Alamo.

We rarely open our windows for much the same reason although we don't have an alarm system. They all have key locks and we have security doors on all four exits. In nice weather we can open the main doors and just leave the screen doors locked.

For most of our marriage I wanted to live in the two storey house but now I'm happy that we don't. We would have needed to move about ten years ago had we had stairs.
                        Yes, I live in San Antonio , Texas and yes, it is hot and humid for most of the year.
                        We live in a 2 story house , but the master bedroom / bath is downstairs. So climbing stairs is not really an issue for us. I have no trouble climbing stairs. We have 3 bedrooms upstairs plus a jack / jill bathroom. One bedroom is a guest room and the other 2 rooms are my rooms for my computer and sewing room / craft room. It's nice to have those extra rooms and not to have to clutter up the main living area with my "stuff "

Comment

We also have a two story house with full finished lower level. We don't use our upstairs unless we have company so there are two bedrooms and two full bathrooms plus a sitting room and two large storage rooms. We have a main floor master with a pretty large bathroom and large laundry room. Our small community only has ten houses and we are hooked up to a common septic because not all the building lots would perk for a separate septic system. The waterfront lots wouldn't perk which includes us. So no one has a septic system on their property. There are lateral pipes that run beneath the ditch to a pump house and from there to a five acre drain field. We are restricted though to only three bedrooms because that is how the septic system is rated. I never open my windows, especially in spring, with all the yellow pollen. I can open the French doors in the back of the house because there are sliding screens but not the front because we have a leaded glass door and a screen door in front of that wouldn't look right. So once in a while I will open the back up but not in spring with all the pollen.
                          Last edited by Vera; 03-02-2019, 10:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sabine View Post

Yes, I live in San Antonio , Texas and yes, it is hot and humid for most of the year.
                            We live in a 2 story house , but the master bedroom / bath is downstairs. So climbing stairs is not really an issue for us. I have no trouble climbing stairs. We have 3 bedrooms upstairs plus a jack / jill bathroom. One bedroom is a guest room and the other 2 rooms are my rooms for my computer and sewing room / craft room. It's nice to have those extra rooms and not to have to clutter up the main living area with my "stuff "
                            I don't know how you live in San Antonio... *LOL* The humidity is outrageous! I guess you'd get used to it eventually. I was there just before I found CopyKat. My main memories are the Riverwalk Mall, we went on a boat down the river, the market, The Alamo, a friendly squirrel raiding a rubbish bin. Many years ago now and we were only there for one day but I remember it being a highlight of our trip.

I would love to have a sewing room but it's not going to happen now. In our family room I have two large desks... one is my computer desk and the other used to be Tiff's computer desk but once she moved out I use it for when I'm sewing. We have four bedrooms... one is John's, one is mine, one guest room and one nursery/play room.

Our loungeroom is very uncluttered... couch, lift chair, a china cabinet, crystal cabinet, TV that sits on a low cabinet. We used to have a coffee table in the middle but got rid of that when John had to use a walker to get around. The familyroom is my domain and it's also uncluttered except when Immy is here, then it becomes a mine field of blocks, trains, etc. I need to keep the whole house free of trip hazards as much as possible.

We both love our home and fully intend to stay here for as long as we can manage.

Comment

Originally posted by Vera View Post
                              We also have a two story house with full finished lower level. We don't use our upstairs unless we have company so there are two bedrooms and two full bathrooms plus a sitting room and two large storage rooms. We have a main floor master with a pretty large bathroom and large laundry room. Our small community only has ten houses and we are hooked up to a common septic because not all the building lots would perk for a separate septic system. The waterfront lots wouldn't perk which includes us. So no one has a septic system on their property. There are lateral pipes that run beneath the ditch to a pump house and from their to a five acre drain field. We are restricted though to only three bedrooms because that is how the septic system is rated. I never open my windows, especially in spring, with all the yellow pollen. I can open the French doors in the back of the house because there are sliding screens but not the front because we have a leaded glass door and a screen door in front of that wouldn't look right. So once in a while I will open the back up but not in spring with all the pollen.
                              Thirty years ago I would have *loved* living in your home, Vera. These days, not so much because we are not capable of maintaining such a large property. We cope with what we have most of the time but with assistance when we need it. Our neighbour and friend, Gordon helps with the gardens and I have a gardener come once a month just to keep it all looking nice. I mainly just do the watering.

It's interesting about the septic system you have. I've never heard of a shared septic. In Australia all urban areas are connected to the main sewer system. In country areas each property has their own septic tank. It's what we had for both holiday homes that we had. The only time we could smell anything nasty was after heavy rain.

Comment

Working...
                              X