when is cheese not cheesy enough to be called 'cheese'

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• when is cheese not cheesy enough to be called 'cheese'

I'll explain... I've always bought Kraft cheese slices but remembered reading something about it not being real cheese so I investigated. Sure enough, if the product does not contain more than 51% cheese, it can't be marketed as 'cheese' and instead is called 'sandwich slices'. The advice is that the more ingredients processed slices have, the less likelihood that it actually contains much cheese. I also found that Kraft slices have less than 5% Australian products in their slices despite them being made here. I spent ages reading about different brands of cheese and I settled on one made in Australia called Devondale Colby. The best variety I could find was a block of cheese with only three ingredients: Milk, salt, start culture, enzyme (non-animal rennet needed to make curds).

Even grated cheese is not all it appears to be. It contains anti-caking agent 460... a product sourced from wood pulp so that it pours out of the bag. That's why I chose a block and can grate it myself.

Do you ever wonder what we are eating without knowing it's there? Immy eats a lot of cheese and often becomes constipated. Any wonder!

Don't mind me... I just spent an interesting two hours researching cheese. I think I need a life...
    I love my computer because all my friends live inside it!

Most foods aren't food anymore. A person could spend hours and hours in the grocery store reading ingredient lists and come out of that store in shock. No wonder people aren't healthy anymore. Cheese has always constipated me. Now? I cannot even eat cheese because of the fat content.

Comment

Allie... have you, or anyone you know, ever made their own cheese? I'm tempted to give it a go if I can find instructions somewhere online

Comment

Originally posted by Chayote View Post
        Allie... have you, or anyone you know, ever made their own cheese? I'm tempted to give it a go if I can find instructions somewhere online
        My dd and I make our own mozzarella cheese every once in awhile. there are lots of how tos and tips online and youtube videos One thing we learned is to not over work the cheese or it gets a tough texture.
        It's just a little Summer tradition we have. It's easy to make but a bit expensive to do though. We do it when my tomatoes are ripened in the garden. Then we have fresh cheese, tomatoes and basil for lunch afterwards.

We both also make our own ricotta cheese. Now that's real easy to make and tastes so much better than store bought. DD makes a lemon ricotta that is good. I don't know what recipe she uses, but I use Inya's recipe.
        https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...recipe-1923290

Comment

I go and buy from an Amish cheese factory where they make their own cheese. The sell processed but I only get theirs. It is a drive and more pricey but I will not buy slicked, grated and want "real cheese". Their cheddar is so good and the flavor in unlike what you buy in store. I love the drive, farm stands on the roadside and the same with the baked goods at the roadside. I just make a day trip out of it and from spring till late fall I go about twice a month.
          Heritic, rebel, a thing to flount,
          He drew a circle that shut me out.
          But love and I had the wit to win,
          We drew a circle that took him in.

Comment

I've enjoyed making mozzarella cheese a few times and had to quit ... because I was EATING IT ALL!! I even made a few Armenian String Cheeses ... basically mozzarella with a certain spice and black seeds. Cheese is my most favorite food! I went through a period where dairy didn't like me anymore. I was mostly dairy free for a few months and it got better. Good thing, because being dairy free was harder than having to be gluten free!! There is no substitute for real cheese!! Although ... I do like those cheese slices on a burger.
            "What fresh hell is this?" Dorothy Parker

Comment

I'm definitely going to make mozzarella... seems to be the easiest of all. I'm enjoying the Havarti sliced cheese instead of the processed ones

Comment

Chayote, our pug and basset share a slice of havarti each night when they come back from their last night walk with DH. They love it.
                I started giving the dogs treats after their walks to make sure they would come home if they got away. Montana could be brutal on winter nights. If the basset saw a hare or other animal, he could run off if you were not expecting it.
                So, we continue the tradition in Portland.

Comment

Originally posted by smokey View Post
                  Chayote, our pug and basset share a slice of havarti each night when they come back from their last night walk with DH. They love it.
                  I started giving the dogs treats after their walks to make sure they would come home if they got away. Montana could be brutal on winter nights. If the basset saw a hare or other animal, he could run off if you were not expecting it.
                  So, we continue the tradition in Portland.
                  Great idea smokey... I'd be so worried if Lucy took off. She is a runner also but I'm not sure that she would find her way home. She has cataracts on both eyes. She's not a cheese-eater but I'll try her with a piece of havarti tomorrow. The maltese terrier we had loved cheese and would do anything to get it.

Once when we still had our holiday house at Derby in Tasmania we decided to take our beagle, Bonnie with us. All went well until we arrived at the house and before I could put a lead on her collar she bolted into the natural bush area behind our house. I could hear her bark getting more distant until I couldn't hear her at all. I cried for the rest of the afternoon, blaming myself for her escaping. I didn't think she would ever come back because she had never been there before. Four hours later she was back at the front door of the house. I couldn't believe it! I made sure she didn't get out again.

Comment

I still buy shredded cheese, knowing that it is coated with the non-stick ick. I like the convenience for cooking. I lean to the side of "good fat is healthy". My favorite cheeses are Cabot brand, extra sharp/seriously sharp and buy that in bricks. I also like the brands Trader Joe's sells.

Comment

Working...
                    X